leaving WM after 14 years.

MrPeach84

May 4, 2018
Visit site
I started with a pocket pc running windows CE with phone capabilities in 2004. I have been using it ever since. I currently have a Lumia 950. It's to the point that I don't always get incoming calls and I have done a complete factory reset and restore from my PC. So the big question as I leave the Microsoft platform is do I go towards iPhone or Samsung? I'm looking to replace my band with either the iwatch or the Samsung g3 watch depending on the platform. I haven't really used either. What does everyone recommend?

Ixia2

Oct 21, 2017
Visit site
I may be at that point soon. I will look for the best camera phone and go where that leads me. I live in an Apple household and the one thing I have noticed is Apple's customer service is phenomenal.
But the iPhone o/s leaves me cold, so I'm probably heading towards Android.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Both work.

I currently use an iPhone because...
  • The SE is the best small phone. (although the Xperia Compacts give it a run for its money or beat it arguably)
  • It has built-in PIM apps like Notes, Reminders...
  • Longer support windows than any Android phone
  • Apple doesn't vacuum up as much data and I don't have to go all "whack-a-mole" to stop Google Maps from asking me to review/photograph places I visit.
  • Available parts and reasonably simple repairs (varies depending on model of course)
  • iMessage/some other Apple ecosystem features work well with the people I'm around.
  • Integration with Mac
  • More "to-the-point" in my opinion and "good enough"
  • Higher resale value

I would choose an Android if...
  • I needed an inexpensive new phone. (below $3-400)
  • They have a higher potential for privacy if need be but it's hard to attain and takes a lot of homework before buying (for most)
  • They have a higher lifespan potential technically (see custom ROMs still kicking for the Galaxy S II - but these are outliers)
  • I wanted a different form-factor or variety (see BlackBerry)
  • I value a certain aspect that the iPhone doesn't deliver on (see Moto Z Play battery life)
  • The iPhone can take care of most any typical task/service you can throw at it, but if it can't - Android probably can.
  • Extensive customization and flexibility ranging from changing the launcher to the entire ROM depending on the model.
  • I wanted a headphone jack in a current generation phone
  • Standards like USB-C, microUSB
  • microSD expansion
  • Deeper integration for alternative services/apps like Cortana, Signal, Firefox...
That's it in a nutshell/my opinion. There's other aspects but that's how I see it.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I first got in to WM on an Xperia X1 around 2008 or so (remember when third parties made WM phones?). I stuck with WP8/W10M up until just a few days ago when I sadly put my X3 to pasture along with my 950XL, 640XL and 620 (can't sell them - nobody wants them) with a brief stop at Android on a Note 4 which I didn't like.

So now, since MS dropped Teams for W10M, I use a Xiaomi A1 Android phone. For the price I paid for the phone (cheap) I am very happy with its performance and features. It also uses pure Android OS so there is no bloatware either so it is nice and clean to use. I am not sure I would trust MS in any future mobile hardware endeavors, sadly. But there software is good enough for me on Android.

Oh, and lastly, everyone goes on about the app gap between W10M and iOS or Android. Well, now on Android, I may have more apps available in the Play Store but I still just use the same apps as I did before (albeit up to date now). So the app gap was never a big deal for me really as a W10M user.

So @MrPeach84, I was using a Fitbit Surge on my HP Elite X3 and it works fine now on my Android phone too. The thing I have noticed with Fitbit on Android is that I cannot seem to get any way for notifications to appear on the watch itself (e.g. SMS notifications) whereas it was possible on W10M - perhaps someone can point me in the right direction for how to do this?

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I use both. My primary phone is an iPhone just because in my opinion it handles email better. I use the Outlook app and the iOS app is great.

anon(10440410)

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
Have a work issued iPhone and it's actually pretty good. No reason for the billion dollar iPhone X. The iPhone 6 is perfectly fine and you can pick it up fairly "cheap" if you Bing it a bit. There are no features like "widgets". So if you're all about widgets I'd go Android. But the OS is super easy to use and maintain. Which is what I want on a phone. And yes... there is an app for everything... and there are a lot of good quality ones that are updated frequently with fixes and features.

My daughter had an Android for a while and it was a pain in the rear. There's too many settings, and they're scattered all over the place. I have some older friends that purchase budget Androids, which I end up putting SD cards in, or setting up their email, etc. And every time I do I cringe. I've spent hours figuring out stuff that should be super simple. I spent 3 hours one time trying to get my 70 year old friend's old MSN email account to work on his $99 Android. Granted it might have been easier if it was a Gmail account, but he didn't want to switch. And small point, I know, but any OS named after candy just seems hokey. I don't know what they're on now, I lost track after "marshmallow". But I suppose it aptly fits their OS.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Just make sure you are prepared for frustrations and just learn to deal with the fact that iOS and Android are not well integrated, unlike WM. I am beginning to hate Android, get content with it, then begin to hate it again. Example: I want to use Groove Music but, it cannot be set as the default player, whatsoever.

Ok, I will use Spotify, since I do not want to use Google Music, just want to remove as much of Google as I can from my Essential Phone. Ok, I will just install it and play my locally stored music from there, right? NOPE! Sign in first to your account or nada. :angry: Ok, account created, signed in, I will just go play my locally stored stuff now, right? NOPE!

Oh, you have to download the program on your computer, install it, sync it from there to your phone and then you can play it. THAT IS JUST STUPID! Well, I have permanently deleted my Crapify account and will not use that again. For the moment, I just have to use Google Music until Groove gets its stuff together. Cortona will not open Google Maps when doing a search but, will open it when doing the home to work trip. :angry: I realize I have became comfortable with stuff just working but, Android and iOS does not believe in that philosophy.

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Just make sure you are prepared for frustrations and just learn to deal with the fact that iOS and Android are not well integrated, unlike WM. I am beginning to hate Android, get content with it, then begin to hate it again. Example: I want to use Groove Music but, it cannot be set as the default player, whatsoever.

Ok, I will use Spotify, since I do not want to use Google Music, just want to remove as much of Google as I can from my Essential Phone. Ok, I will just install it and play my locally stored music from there, right? NOPE! Sign in first to your account or nada. :angry: Ok, account created, signed in, I will just go play my locally stored stuff now, right? NOPE!

Oh, you have to download the program on your computer, install it, sync it from there to your phone and then you can play it. THAT IS JUST STUPID! Well, I have permanently deleted my Crapify account and will not use that again. For the moment, I just have to use Google Music until Groove gets its stuff together. Cortona will not open Google Maps when doing a search but, will open it when doing the home to work trip. :angry: I realize I have became comfortable with stuff just working but, Android and iOS does not believe in that philosophy.

I'm a BlackBerry lifer but I've done all four major OS (Android/IOS/WP/BB) and currently I use BBAndroid. Ive learned if you want to be integrated, don't fight the Native OS with certain default options. I know thats oversimplifying but it rings some truth. Ive also learned to quit expecting different OS to behave like each other. Like any language, its different. English isnt Spanish and neither is the reverse. Good Luck....

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm a BlackBerry lifer but I've done all four major OS (Android/IOS/WP/BB) and currently I use BBAndroid. Ive learned if you want to be integrated, don't fight the Native OS with certain default options. I know thats oversimplifying but it rings some truth. Ive also learned to quit expecting different OS to behave like each other. Like any language, its different. English isnt Spanish and neither is the reverse. Good Luck....

I do not agree at all, though. Essentially, that is saying that if you want to use it, you must use it their way or no way. All these phone OSes are English, to extend the metaphor, they are just trying to change it to make it say what they want and not the way it is. Basically, it is one of the reasons I have an Essential Phone, so I do not have to use what they say I must use.

I need a fully integrated ecosystem, not a haphazard jumble of words. :D Sorry but, I am not going to run out and buy an expensive, nice but overpriced Apple Hardware when they do not even do everything I need and want.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The main point is if you’re leaving Windows Mobile there are quite a few alternatives to meet your needs. We are all different with different needs so give them all a try until you find the right one for you.

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I took the plunge just this week. I came to WM from Android for the Lumia 1020 and then a 950 XL. I really didn't want to make the switch for a number of reasons.

Two days ago my new Pixel 2 arrived. I set it up with Microsoft Launcher and ended up being quite happy with the result. So there really is life after Live Tiles.

Mike

Chazzy J

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
I went Samsung S8 when it came out, loved it so much I "upgraded" to the Note8 several months later. The Microsoft Launcher is by far my favorite. It doesn't resemble Windows Mobile in any way, so don't go down that thought process. But the Launcher is super clean, tons of customizability, and integrates into your Microsoft account.

Now when I bought the S8, I did get the S3 watch too (non-LTE). It was a little bulky at first, but then I got use to it. It does a great job at integrating into the S8/Note8. It's basically the perfect companion for the phone. But don't misinterpret -- it's not Android Wear. It's not like you can DL banking apps onto it and stuff. You have to go to the S3 app on the phone and then you can chose from those apps. If you're just looking for a perfect extension from your phone to give you the basics with a pretty robust health app, then the S3 watch will hit that out of the park. Additionally the watch face options are endless. I change mine about once a month. Makes it feel new every time.

To bring it all together, I was an iPhone user for 5 years, only to jump to the Windows10Mobile ship as it started to sink. Loved W10M, but Microsoft just doesn't do Hardware well unfortunately. So while I love their software, they just can't get it together in the hardware dept (some of the Surface line excluded). So after it was ever apparent W10M was going down, I lasted about 2 years before I said ok moving to Samsung.

Windows has developed their partnership with Samsung quite nicely over the last 12 months. The new S9/Android 8 upgrade has a dedicated spot for OneDrive in the "My Files" part of the phone. So That's nice to have that kind of dedicated integration. I can definitely see that the "new" Windows/Samsung partnership is developing nicely. It only takes one screw up for the companies to hate each other again though. So we'll see.

Lastly, if you're not aware, Samsung has an app called Samsung Flow. It integrates beautiful into your Windows10 desktop environment. So all your phone notifications get pushed to your desktop (although totally customizable). So being able to work on my desktop (Galaxy Book 12 - Windows10 w/ gorgeous AMOLED Display) and receiving and REPLYING to text messages w/o having to even look at my phone just makes life so easy.

So there you go. I hope that helps a little. In the end, nothing wrong with an iPhone, I just find the integration partnership Samsung and Windows has is becoming quite robust over the last 12+ months.

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I do not agree at all, though. Essentially, that is saying that if you want to use it, you must use it their way or no way. All these phone OSes are English, to extend the metaphor, they are just trying to change it to make it say what they want and not the way it is. Basically, it is one of the reasons I have an Essential Phone, so I do not have to use what they say I must use.

I need a fully integrated ecosystem, not a haphazard jumble of words. :D Sorry but, I am not going to run out and buy an expensive, nice but overpriced Apple Hardware when they do not even do everything I need and want.

But you’ve just proven my point. You have Essential Phone, so now you have to do things Android way. Expect and use it like Android device. It’s flow is Android and don’t expect it to feel like IOS/WP/BB. That’s not a knock against or for any OS. To succeed, each OS incorporates the features it thinks majority of users want, tries giving some ability for variety but ultimately strives for a level of consistency to maintain loyalty.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Lastly, if you're not aware, Samsung has an app called Samsung Flow. It integrates beautiful into your Windows10 desktop environment. So all your phone notifications get pushed to your desktop (although totally customizable). So being able to work on my desktop (Galaxy Book 12 - Windows10 w/ gorgeous AMOLED Display) and receiving and REPLYING to text messages w/o having to even look at my phone just makes life so easy.

I use Samsung Flow as well. My favorite feature is that I can use my phone to unlock my PC.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I've used Band 2 with both android and W10 mobile. My only issue with android is the calendar does not sync cuz I use Outlook android app instead of gmail. Hate everyting gmail and google, so I'm willing to give that feature up. I use android cuz I dislike Apple more. Looking at Fitbit Ionic when my patched Band 2 finally fails. Your Band 2 will work fine with either platform.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I've used Band 2 with both android and W10 mobile. My only issue with android is the calendar does not sync cuz I use Outlook android app instead of gmail. Hate everyting gmail and google, so I'm willing to give that feature up. I use android cuz I dislike Apple more. Looking at Fitbit Ionic when my patched Band 2 finally fails. Your Band 2 will work fine with either platform.

Can you get SMS or call notifications on a Fitbit for Android? I can't seem to figure out how to do it on mine. @Adventurer64, I just switched to Android from W10M, also not a Google fan like you, but I still signed up for Google (without Gmail) and I have everything set up with MS so it's pretty much just like my W10M used to be.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Can you get SMS or call notifications on a Fitbit for Android? I can't seem to figure out how to do it on mine. @Adventurer64, I just switched to Android from W10M, also not a Google fan like you, but I still signed up for Google (without Gmail) and I have everything set up with MS so it's pretty much just like my W10M used to be.

I don't have a fitbit ionic yet, but from what I understand, notifications work with Android. However, unlike Band 2, you cannot respond to text messages from a Fitbit Ionic. I respond to texts all the time with my band 2, short responses like Yes, No, OK etc. I have a google account, obviously, since I'm using an LG V20, but haven't been able to get the calendar notifications to work since I use Outlook and do not sync Outlook to gmail calendar. Now, prior to Windows 10M, I was using a Note 4 and was receiving calendar notifications because my gmail was set-up to sync with Outlook somehow. When I switched to Windows 10M in 2016 from Android, I dumped gmail 100%. Unfortunately my Idol 4S battery crapped out and I had to switch back to Android late 2017 and didn't bother to sync Outlook to gmail. You would think the Band software would sync calendars with the Android Outlook app, but it doesn't, or at least I haven't figured out how to do it without syncing to gmail calendar.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a fitbit ionic yet, but from what I understand, notifications work with Android. However, unlike Band 2, you cannot respond to text messages from a Fitbit Ionic. I respond to texts all the time with my band 2, short responses like Yes, No, OK etc. I have a google account, obviously, since I'm using an LG V20, but haven't been able to get the calendar notifications to work since I use Outlook and do not sync Outlook to gmail calendar. Now, prior to Windows 10M, I was using a Note 4 and was receiving calendar notifications because my gmail was set-up to sync with Outlook somehow. When I switched to Windows 10M in 2016 from Android, I dumped gmail 100%. Unfortunately my Idol 4S battery crapped out and I had to switch back to Android late 2017 and didn't bother to sync Outlook to gmail. You would think the Band software would sync calendars with the Android Outlook app, but it doesn't, or at least I haven't figured out how to do it without syncing to gmail calendar.

I still haven't managed to get any SMS notifications or anything like that on my Fitbit Surge and my Android phone. I am no using Google calendar though, I use everything through Outlook so I guess that makes a difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire