I'm publishing a new, proper, fully featured, finely designed music player for WP

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey Windows Phone gang.

Yes, that's right. In 2018, when WP and W10M are basically dead, I am publishing The Music Player Windows Phone Deserved, after Microsoft failed to use the Metro (Modern) design language's potential to give us a decent music player.
Any decent music player on the Store is either not that decent or not free.

I've been working on this project for 2 years now. I've dedicated a lot of time to get things right, and to finally address what I didn't like about other music players both on Windows Phone and Android/iOS. Take a look:

139212d1526850656t-1.png

139213d1526850690t-2.png

139214d1526850706t-3.png

139215d1526850725t-4.png

139216d1526850741t-5.png

139217d1526850756t-6.png

139218d1526850772t-7.png

139219d1526850787t-8.png
(I've blurred the name of the app, want that to be a surprise)

This app bleeds Windows Phone. Meaning I was very faithful to the original Windows Phone design, while taking it one step further. The truly revolutionary part of all this is the navigation: simplified, but more powerful. You get to search even within categories: you can type "Friday" and the app shows you the dates including Friday, when you added songs to the phone.

Fair warning: the design language is Metro (Modern), as I believe that language was a proper and complete design language and what I was passionate about. I disagreed with where W10M was headed from the get go and shouted a lot in WPCentral and WindowsCentral about this issue!

What I'm looking for are beta testers now. People who have an eye for design, and who are passionate about listening to music on their phone.

Please message me directly, and include your Microsoft account ID (the one you are using on your phone) since I need to specify beta testers in the Store who get to have access to the beta release, before the app is published to the public.
There is still some feature implementations remaining but I expect the beta to be available by mid June.

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Will it sync or stream hi-def files (wav/flac/alac) from onedrive?

This. Otherwise I'm not interested. LastFM scrobbler support would be great too, plus ability to edit song metadata in-app (you know, all the things Groove should have had).

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
WAV is supported, I have a roadmap for FLAC. OneDrive support will be added in the next major update, along with 3rd party services like LastFM. I have planned to add support for Spotify as well and I'm researching it at the moment.

Please volunteer for beta testing. I want to get the community involved to create the best experience possible.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Sounds great! Realtime EQ?
This would also be a killer feature.
The only non-native music player for W10M that I know of that uses an eq and is a decent app is the UWP VLC player. Even though the eq feature is minimal in its capabilities, it's there and does its job. I still think Microsoft should have pushed the eq feature to the Groove mobile app too...

JMX777

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
This would also be a killer feature.
The only non-native music player for W10M that I know of that uses an eq and is a decent app is the UWP VLC player. Even though the eq feature is minimal in its capabilities, it's there and does its job. I still think Microsoft should have pushed the eq feature to the Groove mobile app too...

I use Vacumm tube player that uses a realtime EQ but the down side is that the EQ only let you turn down db but not boost more than default (0)

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Sounds great! Realtime EQ?

Unfortunately creating EQ requires diving deep into the low level guts of the OS through C++, bypassing the native MediaPlayer that is generally used to play content on WP8.1 and W10M, and I'm not a C++ developer.

If everything goes well I will look into it though.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately creating EQ requires diving deep into the low level guts of the OS through C++, bypassing the native MediaPlayer that is generally used to play content on WP8.1 and W10M, and I'm not a C++ developer.

If everything goes well I will look into it though.
If you do succeed. All W10M users who use non-lumia hw or Windows phones without an EQ will be quite happy. You are correct as it would take digging into the OS guts....

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
If you do succeed. All W10M users who use non-lumia hw or Windows phones without an EQ will be quite happy. You are correct as it would take digging into the OS guts....

I just looked into it, and there is a C++ sample enabling equalizer support in WinRT environment (the predecessor to UWP) supported both on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 and up.

I'll put it on the roadmap, but it will need some serious effort. I'm focused on releasing the beta for now.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
All I'd want is flac support, and a playlist system that create playlists based on file folders.

I'm sick of messing about creating playlists in other programs, and I listen to HD stuff quite a bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss