Floated an idea to Ben on Twitter, was curious if anybody else would be interested....

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Found a video on youtube of a guy running Windows 10 for Mobile, on x86 IBM Thinkpad......not in emulation via SDK.

He formatted an SSD to swap into the laptop and the darn thing booted.

He also has Windows Phone 8.1 from some time ago as well.

Any way my thought was.....could this work on say an Acer W3 8" Tablet?

Any Interest??????? I know I would be willing to risk my Acer W3 at this point, as Windows 10 32Bit has gotten a bit much for the slower older tablet. It runs but struggles now and slow downs are a pain.

A Windows 10 for Mobile with no Desktop or other full on overhead ....hummmmmmmmmm:winktongue:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I would want it on my original surface RT I still have lying around :)

Surface RT being arm may yet see new life ( maybe once Windows 10 for Arm gets on to more devices).
How ever Win10 for Phone would have to use an Arm based image, and the one in the video runs on x86 ( IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Found a video on youtube of a guy running Windows 10 for Mobile, on x86 IBM Thinkpad......not in emulation via SDK.

He formatted an SSD to swap into the laptop and the darn thing booted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1PoGqQ9rKI

He also has Windows Phone 8.1 from some time ago as well.

Any way my thought was.....could this work on say an Acer W3 8" Tablet?

Any Interest??????? I know I would be willing to risk my Acer W3 at this point, as Windows 10 32Bit has gotten a bit much for the slower older tablet. It runs but struggles now and slow downs are a pain.

A Windows 10 for Mobile with no Desktop or other full on overhead ....hummmmmmmmmm:winktongue:
See if Windows 10 S is available. It's certainly more functional than 10 Mobile and runs sweet on lower spec'd machines. I just bought an Acer Spin at the Microsoft Store for $250 and I'm loving it. Full 1080 HD, 4GB/32GB setup and comes with a stylus.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S on mTalk

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Go for Windows 10 S, if anything. It doesn't make sense to run W10M on a desktop. Lack of apps would make it pretty much useless for a start. Not to mention there'd be obvious drivers, hardware issues as well. Some of which may not even be fixable. Interesting to see someone tried it though, hats off to them, but overall, it isn't really practical.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Pretty cool hack actually. I have a recent NuVision tablet sitting around now for months and wondering how easy it would be to run the image on it. For kicks and giggles only of course...

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Go for Windows 10 S, if anything. It doesn't make sense to run W10M on a desktop. Lack of apps would make it pretty much useless for a start. Not to mention there'd be obvious drivers, hardware issues as well. Some of which may not even be fixable. Interesting to see someone tried it though, hats off to them, but overall, it isn't really practical.

Look this whole app gap B.S. ( and it is B.S.) just does not matter to many. There is enough in Windows 10 for Mobile, and in the store that my Acer Jade Primo Windows Phone does all I need !!! Sorry if I type sounding pissed off, but the apps I need are there!!!

Now as to running Windows 10 for mobile on a tablet....this should be a no brain'er !!!!
My Acer W3 tablet struggles now with Big boy Windows 10 ( since 1709 Build), it's an older tablet and only 2 Gig RAM. With an Intel Atom Z at only 1.8 Ghz the newer features can cause slow downs.

Windows 10 for Mobile fully ported to an older x86 would blaze !!!! No desktop and most everything else light weight, I would even say Win10Mo would be a huge improvement over Tablet mode ( works well on i3 and above with min 4 Gig Ram).

It would be Practical indeed if it worked, could also cause more then a few older cheep tablets to be far more useful again.

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Look this whole app gap B.S. ( and it is B.S.) just does not matter to many. There is enough in Windows 10 for Mobile, and in the store that my Acer Jade Primo Windows Phone does all I need !!! Sorry if I type sounding pissed off, but the apps I need are there!!!

Now as to running Windows 10 for mobile on a tablet....this should be a no brain'er !!!!
My Acer W3 tablet struggles now with Big boy Windows 10 ( since 1709 Build), it's an older tablet and only 2 Gig RAM. With an Intel Atom Z at only 1.8 Ghz the newer features can cause slow downs.

Windows 10 for Mobile fully ported to an older x86 would blaze !!!! No desktop and most everything else light weight, I would even say Win10Mo would be a huge improvement over Tablet mode ( works well on i3 and above with min 4 Gig Ram).

It would be Practical indeed if it worked, could also cause more then a few older cheep tablets to be far more useful again.

Unfortunately, whilst the apps are there that you need, which is great, the rest of the world has chosen to disagree using their wallets. For example, try explaining to the masses that you can't run something like iTunes or any other popular Windows x86 app they they may use on their PC or tablet because it's running Windows 10 Mobile. They just won't get it.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, whilst the apps are there that you need, which is great, the rest of the world has chosen to disagree using their wallets. For example, try explaining to the masses that you can't run something like iTunes or any other popular Windows x86 app they they may use on their PC or tablet because it's running Windows 10 Mobile. They just won't get it.

The idea wasn't for the masses, the idea was for older low spec tablets, that can run Big boy Windows 10, but now may have issue with build 1709, 1803.

I floated the idea to someone who has had some success getting RT and Win 10 on Arm to run on Nokia's and Lumia's. So basicly a hack.

At any point did I say "for the masses"????

I could step back in Windows 10 ( full on ), however the drawback is unless I turn off WiFi, it auto updates. The Acer W3 could use a lightweight O/S like Windows 10 for Mobile, as I am sure more then a few other low spec tablets could do well on a cut down system.

Also seeing in the video driver support is not with it, it would have to be a dirty hack for a small group.

If others wish x86. then I don't think they will look at a low spec older tablet.

So your point in all this?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
The idea wasn't for the masses, the idea was for older low spec tablets, that can run Big boy Windows 10, but now may have issue with build 1709, 1803.

I floated the idea to someone who has had some success getting RT and Win 10 on Arm to run on Nokia's and Lumia's. So basicly a hack.

At any point did I say "for the masses"????

I could step back in Windows 10 ( full on ), however the drawback is unless I turn off WiFi, it auto updates. The Acer W3 could use a lightweight O/S like Windows 10 for Mobile, as I am sure more then a few other low spec tablets could do well on a cut down system.

Also seeing in the video driver support is not with it, it would have to be a dirty hack for a small group.

If others wish x86. then I don't think they will look at a low spec older tablet.

So your point in all this?

My point is simply if it works for you, and improves the life of your tablet, then that's the main thing. Like you said, it isn't for everybody to do this. My point about 'for the masses' was that if this was a proper thing (which it isn't) then most people wouldn't understand it. But for those who get it and have devices where it can be done, I guess it could be useful.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So I have been thinking about it, and it may be possible to boot it from a Thumb Drive without touching the eMMC at first..................

I just may attempt it this weekend, and seeing drivers are an issue ( in video, as he is using IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad), have an attempt at driver install using original x86 Acer drivers.......

Seeing as it boots x86 hardware and Windows 10 Mobile uses shared code with big boy Windows 10 maybe I can catch a break..........just wish Ben would have seen the tweet so I could pick his brain.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh well scratch that, I tried to boot from Thumb drive. On boot it acted a touch weird and defaulted to C: as if something installed and rebooted. As it came back up bitlocker recovery slammed down hard LOL
So now it's a wipe and reinstall lol

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I was going to try to boot from micro SD on my Nuvision tablet. However I need a micro USB otg cable and kb to check the secure boot setting and set the boot options from the efi bios. Will order one this weekend maybe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon