Should I return to Windows Phone?

ann333

Jul 17, 2018
Visit site
No, but it can still add up to a lot of time and money.
I think the article is correct, that’s exactly what these companies want.

It would be different if I had not tried the iPhone or Android, but I did. I'm not wanting to stick with a Windows Phone with blinders on. I tried the others. The Windows Phone is far superior to both. So, it's not so much brand loyalty as much as it's just a wayyyy better phone.

Again -- if anyone has purchased a Windows 10 phone recently, what model did you buy and which network are you on? :)

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It would be different if I had not tried the iPhone or Android, but I did. I'm not wanting to stick with a Windows Phone with blinders on. I tried the others. The Windows Phone is far superior to both. So, it's not so much brand loyalty as much as it's just a wayyyy better phone.

Again -- if anyone has purchased a Windows 10 phone recently, what model did you buy and which network are you on? :)

Hook, line, sinker.

And by the way, I’m not talking about you and Windows phone. I would say the same thing about people who buy “all in” to Apple. We’re all guilty to some degree or these companies wouldn’t be worth billions. The “must have” mentality is exactly what they want. The article has a lot of truth in my humble opinion.

Enjoy whatever phone you end up getting. Not a lot of choices these days. Perhaps the Idol 4s or HP X3?

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
No, but it can still add up to a lot of time and money.
I think the article is correct, that’s exactly what these companies want.

They are right but back in my day (talking computers here) it wasn't quite that easy as compatibility was a big issue, so you stuck with your platform of choice. By the time things started to turn around some of us had already been devoted to one platform for years.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
OK I'll be that rotten egg and stink up the show...

I used to be that guy who thought Microsoft was the GURU of software and would recommend them at every turn (mostly PC). Sadly that is not the case any more (not one bit) after my experiences (still enduring) w/Windows 10 on Phone & PC. So it's going to take a lot more than one or two pieces of their software for me to keep hangin in as that alone does not equate to a whole.

I think a lot of people also now feel the same way. Whilst I still use MS services for nearly everything, I don't have any MS made hardware any longer. There was a time when I had every piece of hardware MS made, but little by little, they were all killed off.

Maybe MS is scared of its own success? Or maybe, as @TgeekB said, MS simply can't shake off the fact that they will always be known best as 'that company that makes Windows and those boring Office apps'.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of people also now feel the same way. Whilst I still use MS services for nearly everything, I don't have any MS made hardware any longer. There was a time when I had every piece of hardware MS made, but little by little, they were all killed off.

Maybe MS is scared of its own success? Or maybe, as @TgeekB said, MS simply can't shake off the fact that they will always be known best as 'that company that makes Windows and those boring Office apps'.
Nah... They just hit the $800 million mark on on track for $1 Trillion soon. I think we know they do more than just Windows.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Nah... They just hit the $800 million mark on on track for $1 Trillion soon. I think we know they do more than just Windows.

Ya. I suppose you could say the Windows Phone piece of the pie was such a small sliver that it has no real significant impact to their overall worth and net profit. Plus the way they have phased it out and are phasing out mobile phones and WP8/Windows 10 Mobile are by the books laid out. So it seems they know what they are doing, or at least in the long term of things not to pull their own rug up from under themseles. This is just a random thought, but if for some unknown reason they started retrenching their Surface branded efforts in a plan to phase out all their current hw/OS platform for Andromeda-like devices/OS future it might be a different story. I'd say their impact on consumers business, and enterprise alike with Surface-like equipment is much broader and more invested in. Even if it is not completely world-wide yet...

Dwarf_King

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
Re: Should i return to Windows Phone?

This was great to read. As an example of someone deluding themselves. I'm sorry. But I was just like you. I made up reasons to myself to justify having a Windows phone, but not any longer.

I was a massive Windows Phone fan. Then I stepped back and realised MS don't really care about customers like me any longer. Windows 10 devices do allow you to be more productive, yes, but in this day and age who is productive on their phone and who is just wasting their life away scrolling through Facebook?

The masses stare at their phones all the time. The masses want the latest games and apps. The masses do not want a Windows Phone and even MS knows the masses are right.

MS can't compete or deliver to the masses. That's why they are trying desperately to try to create some sort of niche hardware and market to delude themselves that this is the future and feel like they have finally achieved something in the mobile space.

This is so they can feel self-assured that they are making the right decision with Andromeda whilst the masses (that MS doesn't care about because they aren't their target market) get bigger and faster hardware and all the latest apps still, and MS is left wondering why Andromeda sales are tanking.

Andromeda on the other hand suffers from the app gap or lack of marketing or MS just fumbling around in the dark (and later quietly dropping the whole thing).

I'd love to see MS succeed in the mobile space. But deep down I know they won't.

MS and Windows Phone is like being in an abusive relationship. You may love them even though they treat you badly and you stay with them either out of some sort of loyalty or by thinking that things will go better, even though deep down you know it won't. This isn't a case of the more you suffer, the more you really care.

It's time to sadly move on.

First of all I have used a Samsung S8 Android 8.0 Oreo phone for a while and then I went back to my Lumia 950 XL again. I really do not see that I need to have a phone that can use the newest android games. Also I can actually do the most through third part apps(MyTube and lnkd.in etc. which often are better or just as good as the official apps). I do not need Google music because funny enough we have Spotify/Spoticast and even Grove if you just wanna hear some already purchased music.

I have zero issue going to the news' website since they all have good mobile versions of their websites. I can watch Netflix in real high quality on my Lumia 950 XL(and would also be able to do so on a HP Elite x3 or Alcatel Idol S4 pro). I feel no differences in making phone calls on my Samsung or Lumia except the feeling when holding them in my hand. I prefer the keyboard on my Lumia 950 XL to the android keyboard when texting messages. I can guarantee you that I prefer my Lumia 950 XL camera compared to the Samsung S8 camera. The only thing that really annoy me is the battery lifetime on both the Samsung and the Lumia.

Last and perhaps most important for me is that Outlook and the whole dark mode setting on the Lumia 950 XL simply wipe floor with the Samsung and its white UI in many of the Google apps(even though one has set a pretty neat dark theme in Android).

I am not really making any excuses for sticking with Win 10 mobile. I have really tried to give Android a chance and even with a Microsoft android launcher. It simply just can't beat the Lumia 950 XL experience.

Now am I annoyed with the photos now and then not being visible in the photo app on win 10 mobile? YES! Am I annoyed about they will stop the support in December 2019? Kind of but may I please inform you that most Android phones only see like two years of support and Win 10 Mobile got like 5 years.

My Samsung S8 is for apps I really need to use and those are fortunately for me few. Lumia 950 XL is my Phablet and trusted communication tool. It is after all a good camera phone.

Do I hope that Microsoft will see the light and ship that/those Surface mobile things? YES I DO!

el_mono70

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I'll probably regret putting it this way but this isn't a matter of your wife or gf betraying you. Yes, its a sad situation, but its not even close to being on that level imho. Yes its a personal choice, and an investment. But it's a phone. A pda. If it performs to your satisfaction and enjoyment does the approval of others matter? I enjoy using my 950 xl more than my S8 at the moment. I'm not mentioning my feelings about the quality of win10m, or its long term viability. For the current time the 950 xl is my preference. Enjoy yours, or whatever tech you prefer.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
@Dwarf_King, it would be great if MS made another mobile device, but if or when they do, it won't be a traditional phone most likely. Personally I am not sure why you would need two phones? For me, one is enough as it is. If I have two phones then it means, to me, the first phone I had isn't meeting all my needs, which means a possible mistake on my part (and we are back to another relationship analogy - which I'll leave at that).

I miss my Elite X3, to be honest. But I realise now also how much I need Android for my current job (completely tied in with Google) and I'd really struggle to be productive if I was still on W10M, sadly. But it was a great phone OS and if you are still enjoying it still then that's great.
@el_mono70, again, my relationship analogy was too strong, looking back. But to many people the phone they have defines them (and their life is all inside the phone - quite sad) so people may still have a somewhat unhealthy relationship with their phone anyway. Again, if you are still on W10M and it works for you, that's the main thing.

el_mono70

May 17, 2011
Visit site
It was a stupid remark on my part, with no intention to belittle anyone's relationship with their phone or otherwise. And I am very fond of my phones. I only said something because I read a lot of critical, if not disparaging remarks, simply for using what one prefers. I generally try to avoid getting involved with such dialogue.

Last edited:

anotherBeliever

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
Re: Should i return to Windows Phone?

They started releasing PWA apps. Uber, Twitter, etc got a new life now.
Microsoft news app is great but if you want an alternative, try theguardian.
Still love my 950 for productivity, Cortana on the car and many more.

jaideepv1234

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I am also a WM fan ... I used lumia 800, 820, 920 and 1520 ... then I shifted to iPhones ... used iPhone 5s, 6s and iPhone X. But recently my iPhone X is got broke and hence I am back to my iPhone 6s plus. but I found a good and for cheap prize lumia 830 and I bought that (waiting for the phone to come). I have seen Windows evolving, from windows 7 to 8 then 8.1 and 10.

It is very painful for me that this OS is the best And Microsoft knows this but still doing nothing. Even with little attention on mobile os they can do some good stuff then if they do it more seriously then they can change the market completely. Like surface phone. I dont know what is stopping them. I dont know how I feel after going back to WM after 3 yrs of gap

How is windows 10 os on 830 ? smooth ?? if I liked it, I am thinking to buy a new 950 and use it as a daily driver.
I am not a heavy user. just WhatsApp, Skype and FB is very important for me. rest apps I used once a year. Any suggestions?

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I am also a WM fan ... I used lumia 800, 820, 920 and 1520 ... then I shifted to iPhones ... used iPhone 5s, 6s and iPhone X. But recently my iPhone X is got broke and hence I am back to my iPhone 6s plus. but I found a good and for cheap prize lumia 830 and I bought that (waiting for the phone to come). I have seen Windows evolving, from windows 7 to 8 then 8.1 and 10.

It is very painful for me that this OS is the best And Microsoft knows this but still doing nothing. Even with little attention on mobile os they can do some good stuff then if they do it more seriously then they can change the market completely. Like surface phone. I dont know what is stopping them. I dont know how I feel after going back to WM after 3 yrs of gap

How is windows 10 os on 830 ? smooth ?? if I liked it, I am thinking to buy a new 950 and use it as a daily driver.
I am not a heavy user. just WhatsApp, Skype and FB is very important for me. rest apps I used once a year. Any suggestions?

Not so sure I'd go on the record as saying Windows Mobile/Phone WAS the best but at some point it was looking good. With it's status now, there's no way. And it's pointless racking your brain as to what would've, could've, should've been as what you see is what's we got today, tomorrow who knows but more than likely less.

Ten on the 830 works somewhat OK but nothing to write home about. Personally, the problem is Windows Mobile never reached a maturity level it should have so as time ticks on it is showing its age.

So one would think moving up from the 830 to the 950 there should be a sizeable difference in performance and usability, but since I own both cannot say that has been the case. Yes the 950's camera is a big improvement yet the phone itself just doesn't perform as it should (IMHO), plus there's issues with heating up - mine is not bad yet definitely gets much too warm considering the tasks at hand during those times (my Android that's very similarly spec'd hardware wise doesn't exhibit same behaviour).

So IMHO Microsoft never got W10M to a point where it was finely tuned for mobile before they dumped it... I'm hard pressed say I've seen sizeable improvements over the past 16 months and surely don't expect anything to change from hereon in.

And I'm sure you are aware of the app-gap which is growing? I know the official FB app went south requiring the use of the beta version, that too could go kaput at any time. Since I rarely use my WP's cannot comment on the other apps you've mentioned but don't be surprise they too end up down a rabbit hole at some point and time.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Windows Mobile phone works for me. Give it a go. It's the best, mobile Phone OS if your focus is on business and accomplishing work. If your life is centered around and on your phone apps, then you are better off sticking your nose, all day long, in another mobile Phone OS (operating system).

Just my opinion.

Best Wishes

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I will agree with Kevin that, if you are focused on business WM may be your choice. Working with files, Excel, Word, etc. It can be done on other platforms but why not have the cohesiveness of working with one platform?

Unfortunately, most people want a device for both work and play. BlackBerry died because they did not understand this. It is true a lot of people “sticking their nose, all day long” in their screen using social apps, etc. Only you can know what is important for you.

Just my opinion.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I will agree with Kevin that, if you are focused on business WM may be your choice. Working with files, Excel, Word, etc. It can be done on other platforms but why not have the cohesiveness of working with one platform?

Unfortunately, most people want a device for both work and play. BlackBerry died because they did not understand this. It is true a lot of people “sticking their nose, all day long” in their screen using social apps, etc. Only you can know what is important for you.

Just my opinion.

One of those occasions where we agree 100%. I've resigned myself to carrying 2 phones during work hours because simply put, you can't beat W10M for Outlook, OneDrive, Excel and Word. It's also little things like activating mobile hotspot from a PC without having to touch the phone and Hand Off capability with browsers other than Edge.

I keep the Android in the glove box for those times I need an app. But I've realized I don't use PayPal every single day. The same goes for my bank, Amazon, eBay, Target or BBM.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa