Should I return to Windows Phone?

h4mm3r tyme

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
Me personally - I'm holding out for what Andromeda may deliver. So, I have done everything I can to stay in the eco system. With that said, if I had switched, I wouldn't come back to this current iteration. It is a dead eco system with an experience that gets worse day by day. If you really need that Windows experience in your pocket, I would suggest holding out for Andromeda and sticking with your Android device for a few more months.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
There’s a bunch of folks still on flip phones. Are they deluded? Some of us don’t need to be bombarded with notifications from every app in existence. I’d say it’s those people who are in an abusive relationship. I can’t imagine a more codependent existence than to be tethered to a phone and staring at the screen waiting for the next incoming message.

His point was that people have to make excuses to try to prove someone should move to Windows phones.
Pinning a website to your home screen does not give you the same experience as an app.
Saying everyone using iOS or Android are tethered to their phone is both untrue and doesn’t make windows phone better.
If all you need is email, text, phone calls and photos, a 950xl can work pretty well. I think we should be honest when people ask about switching so they don’t regret the advice we give. Windows phone will not be supported after 2019, that alone should make people careful.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
His point was that people have to make excuses to try to prove someone should move to Windows phones.
Pinning a website to your home screen does not give you the same experience as an app.
Saying everyone using iOS or Android are tethered to their phone is both untrue and doesn’t make windows phone better.
If all you need is email, text, phone calls and photos, a 950xl can work pretty well. I think we should be honest when people ask about switching so they don’t regret the advice we give. Windows phone will not be supported after 2019, that alone should make people careful.
No, not quite. His post clearly stated that Windows users are deluding themselves and he was one of them. He also clearly stated Windows users are like being in an abusive relationship, as if Windows users were masochists. That's hardly true. I'm not married to one device or one ecosystem and you know that. Just because some of us continue using Windows hardly qualifies as being mentally ill, that's absurd. I've had to resign myself to carry 2 devices because no one OS provides all my needs and/or requirements. Windows does most and iOS covers the rest. I gladly pay the $10 T-Mobile charges for my Digits line so both my phones are on the same number and receive phone calls and texts simultaneously and I can carry one or the other at any time I want. The 8+ stays in my truck with the mute on unless needed. Yeah, $850 is a lot of money to pay for a backup that sees very little use but that's just me. I'm too damned old to compromise, I break out the wallet and make my life simpler.

Sent from my Idol 4S mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
No, not quite. His post clearly stated that Windows users are deluding themselves and he was one of them. He also clearly stated Windows users are like being in an abusive relationship, as if Windows users were masochists. That's hardly true. I'm not married to one device or one ecosystem and you know that. Just because some of us continue using Windows hardly qualifies as being mentally ill, that's absurd. I've had to resign myself to carry 2 devices because no one OS provides all my needs and/or requirements. Windows does most and iOS covers the rest. I gladly pay the $10 T-Mobile charges for my Digits line so both my phones are on the same number and receive phone calls and texts simultaneously and I can carry one or the other at any time I want. The 8+ stays in my truck with the mute on unless needed. Yeah, $850 is a lot of money to pay for a backup that sees very little use but that's just me. I'm too damned old to compromise, I break out the wallet and make my life simpler.

Sent from my Idol 4S mTalk

LOL, so you took offense to the words he used. I gotcha. I was focusing more on the fact Windows phones aren’t something most of us would recommend.
What’s a digits line? Data only?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Sorry everyone if any feathers were unduly ruffled from my post. Basically. I was a massive Windows Phone fan, and if you still use it, that's fine, but there has to be a time when you step back and realise how things actually are. For me, that started when MS dropped support for MS Teams, which I used daily. Then, for my new job, they develop for Android (obviously), so no need for a Windows Phone there. So essentially I am now on Android for better or for worse.

My abusive relationship analogy, perhaps not the best, granted, but I was just trying to say that MS don't care about those who still use Windows Phone. They really don't care about us yet people still believe that Andromeda is the next holy grail from them. I have owned nearly all MS tech and I have been burnt so many times because MS dropped the ball or simply gave up on it.

I really want Andromeda to succeed and MS to make something lasting in the mobile space. I'm just worried it'll be another Windows Phone reboot, under a different name. Or it won't even be what we all want it to be. Instead it may be truly something niche that may not be of use to those on Windows Phones still, limiting their options of staying with MS. Or MS may just give up on it after six months.

My point is, if you still use a Windows Phone, that's great, but what keeps you on Windows Phone may not work for others. Personally, and I'm weird, I don't see a need for having two phones with you. It's just extra clutter and distraction. I personally couldn't justify having an Android phone and a Windows phone. With the Android phone doing all the heavy lifting, I'd turn on the Windows phone to do what? Check for any updates and then turn it off again? But again, if it works for you, that's fine.

These days we really need one device that can do everything. Hopefully MS and Andromeda can deliver that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
LOL, so you took offense to the words he used. I gotcha. I was focusing more on the fact Windows phones aren’t something most of us would recommend.
What’s a digits line? Data only?
I take offense to any mention of anyone's choices because it's simply none of anybody's business what they use. Anyone who claims to be so smart needs to be in D.C. fixing this fustercluck instead of being condescending to other's OS choices.

Digits is for data, SMS and voice. If you have a SIM tray on your phone, tablet or computer you can mirror everything from your phone. For incessant flippers like me it's a life saver.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I take offense to any mention of anyone's choices because it's simply none of anybody's business what they use. Anyone who claims to be so smart needs to be in D.C. fixing this fustercluck instead of being condescending to other's OS choices.

Digits is for data, SMS and voice. If you have a SIM tray on your phone, tablet or computer you can mirror everything from your phone. For incessant flippers like me it's a life saver.

You should avoid the Internet then. Biggest provider of options on choises in the world.

Digits could be useful in some instances. If it's cheap, why not.

Enjoy your night. I'm at the James Taylor concert I'm between sets.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if E-sim is one of those main "instances" in the works. Digits as T-mobile calls it may be the building blocks for their e-sim network or layout.

Digits also works on e-sims, I tried it on a Gear S2 watch. Activation was a pain however so I'm not doing that again. Funny thing is that the watch was a T-Mobile-branded S2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077