Should I return to Windows Phone?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I've been slumming a little the past week or so using an old BlackBerry Torch 9810 to remember what it was like to live without notifications (except texts and emails), apps and to have a small communications-only device that could live in my shirt pocket. T-Mobile still has BIS turned on with my old Simple Choice plan so I wasn't completely shut out from email and BBM. The first thing I missed about today's phones is predictive text input. I'm a horribly slow typist and I depend on it. It's no wonder I rave about Microsoft and BlackBerry's keyboards since they're the best in the business - IMHO. The portrait slider isn't as good as I remember it and the onscreen version is a bad joke so that trip down memory lane lasted 2 days.

Before going back to my Idol/x3 rotation I pulled the GS8+ out of the drawer and painstakingly waited for all the app updates to finish before putting in the SIM. I installed Launcher 10 to see what all the fuss was about and yeah, it looks like W10M but it's still Samsung Experience the minute you tap a "Live Tile". Outlook for Android still doesn't integrate with the phone's native calendar app, Nine is still very slow to push email compared to any other OS and the dialer app still sucks like no other. Battery life is still awesome, the FPS is still in a ridiculous position (having a case helps bigly) and the camera still kicks a$$. For now, Android remains a distant third for my tastes, back to the drawer.

Back to Windows it is until Android gets its act together or something new comes along. The iPhone 8+ is still relegated to Digits SIM duty so I can have apps when needed like PayPal and BBM. I'm selling the x3 and keeping the Idol simply because HP didn't see fit to put the proper support for T-Mobile VoLTE and Alcatel did. My Idol is not the TMO variant but I'm sure it's the same device inside. The cameras are about the same but the Idol has superior audio. I love the big bright display on the x3 but it's not enough of a factor. I'm also keeping a Lumia 950 because........well........the camera. 'Nuff said.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@fatclue_98
I have found with Nine mail is that if I do not turn off Battery optimization in the app itself it delays push request/sync to the server. Maybe your issue is a bit different but take a look to make sure it is turned off if you want close to real time incoming email.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
@fatclue_98
I have found with Nine mail is that if I do not turn off Battery optimization in the app itself it delays push request/sync to the server. Maybe your issue is a bit different but take a look to make sure it is turned off if you want close to real time incoming email.
I turn off battery optimization immediately upon setting up a phone. For some reason EAS is slow on Nine.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I turn off battery optimization immediately upon setting up a phone. For some reason EAS is slow on Nine.

Ya I guess you are right. It is definitely not consistent no where near to Outlook on Windows 10 Mobile which is one of my favorite all time apps for windows phone.
I remember when Outlook for Windows 10 Mobile first came with the full fledged editor for the body. I was so excited that I could highlight and change font size and color in the body email of a mobile phone mail app that I made my buddies on iOS known of this. Is funny because I have only used that feature like a dozen times maybe including the emails I sent to my buddies on iOS ;). I had always wanted that feature and the same feature for the signature but it took Windows 10 Mobile being released until that happened. The signature editor feature is finally available but only on PC.

Nine is sometimes slow and sometimes right on time. I notice it more on time when on wifi. Then at times it inconsistently is fine on Cellular too :)

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I've been slumming a little the past week or so using an old BlackBerry Torch 9810 to remember what it was like to live without notifications (except texts and emails), apps and to have a small communications-only device that could live in my shirt pocket. T-Mobile still has BIS turned on with my old Simple Choice plan so I wasn't completely shut out from email and BBM. The first thing I missed about today's phones is predictive text input. I'm a horribly slow typist and I depend on it. It's no wonder I rave about Microsoft and BlackBerry's keyboards since they're the best in the business - IMHO. The portrait slider isn't as good as I remember it and the onscreen version is a bad joke so that trip down memory lane lasted 2 days.

Before going back to my Idol/x3 rotation I pulled the GS8+ out of the drawer and painstakingly waited for all the app updates to finish before putting in the SIM. I installed Launcher 10 to see what all the fuss was about and yeah, it looks like W10M but it's still Samsung Experience the minute you tap a "Live Tile". Outlook for Android still doesn't integrate with the phone's native calendar app, Nine is still very slow to push email compared to any other OS and the dialer app still sucks like no other. Battery life is still awesome, the FPS is still in a ridiculous position (having a case helps bigly) and the camera still kicks a$$. For now, Android remains a distant third for my tastes, back to the drawer.

Back to Windows it is until Android gets its act together or something new comes along. The iPhone 8+ is still relegated to Digits SIM duty so I can have apps when needed like PayPal and BBM. I'm selling the x3 and keeping the Idol simply because HP didn't see fit to put the proper support for T-Mobile VoLTE and Alcatel did. My Idol is not the TMO variant but I'm sure it's the same device inside. The cameras are about the same but the Idol has superior audio. I love the big bright display on the x3 but it's not enough of a factor. I'm also keeping a Lumia 950 because........well........the camera. 'Nuff said.

For me, like you have inferred, I also can't stand the Samsung Android experience. However, I now have a Xiaomi phone and it has zero bloat and the overall experience is actually pretty good. However, I miss the keyboard of Windows Phone and I really liked my X3 when I had it too. Whilst my current Android phone works for me, it doesn't have the personality of the X3 that makes me enjoy using it beyond it just being a phone. That feeling is something I have found only Windows Phones to offer - the enjoyment of actually using it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Ya I guess you are right. It is definitely not consistent no where near to Outlook on Windows 10 Mobile which is one of my favorite all time apps for windows phone.
Outlook is the number 1 reason I use and put up with Windows for mobile devices.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
OMG, there must be an echo in the room. Tell that to the masses, you might have a better chance getting through to them. Lord knows I haven't.

There would be a lot less stress around here if everyone just accepted this. Anything beyond this is just icing on the cake.
Everyone has to get here on their own, there’s no magic bullet.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Let’s face it, Windows if first and foremost a software company. They do it pretty well.

OK I'll be that rotten egg and stink up the show...

I used to be that guy who thought Microsoft was the GURU of software and would recommend them at every turn (mostly PC). Sadly that is not the case any more (not one bit) after my experiences (still enduring) w/Windows 10 on Phone & PC. So it's going to take a lot more than one or two pieces of their software for me to keep hangin in as that alone does not equate to a whole.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
OK I'll be that rotten egg and stink up the show...

I used to be that guy who thought Microsoft was the GURU of software and would recommend them at every turn (mostly PC). Sadly that is not the case any more (not one bit) after my experiences (still enduring) w/Windows 10 on Phone & PC. So it's going to take a lot more than one or two pieces of their software for me to keep hangin in as that alone does not equate to a whole.

Well, you know what I mean. They have been successful in software for a long time, it’s their bread and butter.
I use Outlook mail on my iPhone. That’s about it.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Well, you know what I mean. They have been successful in software for a long time, it’s their bread and butter.
I use Outlook mail on my iPhone. That’s about it.

Totally get where they came from but sometimes "they are a software company first" sounds like an excuse or cop-out to justify why they have failed as it hasn't only been on the hardware end either. And if one really looks at it (mobile end) very little was THEIR hardware, if I am not mistaken. Just comparing my L950 to a similarly spec'd Droid I own (pretty much identical hardware) it becomes really apparent, to me, software is the issue here and not hardware as the difference between the two is fairly substantial.

Don't get me wrong. I think MS has, and still is, doing good but it appears they've lost their way in consumer space and that's where my primary focus is, to me that is what matters. Like I've said in previous posts, I've pretty much hung up the towel on them but it'll come at a cost, to me, as 31 years of being devoted isn't easily erased.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I think they get involved in too many things and don’t take them all seriously. It gives the impression to their customers that they are going to make an effort and then they don’t. Very frustrating.

anon(10321802)

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
Totally get where they came from but sometimes "they are a software company first" sounds like an excuse or cop-out to justify why they have failed as it hasn't only been on the hardware end either. And if one really looks at it (mobile end) very little was THEIR hardware, if I am not mistaken. Just comparing my L950 to a similarly spec'd Droid I own (pretty much identical hardware) it becomes really apparent, to me, software is the issue here and not hardware as the difference between the two is fairly substantial.

Don't get me wrong. I think MS has, and still is, doing good but it appears they've lost their way in consumer space and that's where my primary focus is, to me that is what matters. Like I've said in previous posts, I've pretty much hung up the towel on them but it'll come at a cost, to me, as 31 years of being devoted isn't easily erased.

Being devoted to any company or brand doesn’t usually work out well.

https://lifehacker.com/brand-loyalty-is-for-suckers-1731199227

ann333

Jul 17, 2018
Visit site
I'm going through the same decision -- continue with Windows phone or change to Android. Is Windows Phone REALLY over??? I have both a Windows Phone and an iPhone. I despise the iPhone. It is so ATARI to me. It does nothing. It's basic. I mean, what does everyone see in it??? Because I have a Windows Phone, I feel like one of the smartest people on the planet.

iPhone is the worst. Android is a step above. But the Windows Phone FAR out performs either of those. When the iPhone X came out, they touted "wireless charging". I laughed because the Windows Phone had wireless charging a long time ago.

GOSH, I HOPE Windows doesn't do away with the Windows Phone. I have a Samsung ATIV running Windows 8 and I've spent half a day today searching for a Windows 10 phone. And then will it work on the Verizon Network... I will change networks to whoever my Windows 10 phone will work (Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile). Verizon texted me a list of phones that will work on their network. They didn't know whether they were Windows or Android. So, now, I have to go through them and figure that out.

Has anyone purchased a W10 phone recently and, if so, what phone did you purchase and which network are you on (so I know which network to change over to)? If you have Verizon and purchased a W10 phone, what phone did you purchase?

I don't want to give up my Windows Phone. I've used both Android and iPhone and I honestly do not see WHY people like them. Whenever I go into a phone store, I ask about Windows Phones. Most of the reps know nothing about them. I spend about 5-7 minutes showing them my Windows 8 phone and what it does and I *always* receive a response, "WOW! I didn't know it did all that!!!" I swear I've converted people over.

The problem was marketing. The problem was that iPhone was able to sell a lesser phone because they hyped it. iPhone was "cool". I'm amazed at the reaction to my Windows Phone when I'm able to show people what it does (which I do annoyingly, I'm sure -- but they are happy by the end of the demo).

I love my Windows Phone and will probably stick with it until it is finally over. I don't need Windows Phone Support -- I think I pretty much know more about it than them anyway.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm going through the same decision -- continue with Windows phone or change to Android. Is Windows Phone REALLY over??? I have both a Windows Phone and an iPhone. I despise the iPhone. It is so ATARI to me. It does nothing. It's basic. I mean, what does everyone see in it??? Because I have a Windows Phone, I feel like one of the smartest people on the planet.

iPhone is the worst. Android is a step above. But the Windows Phone FAR out performs either of those. When the iPhone X came out, they touted "wireless charging". I laughed because the Windows Phone had wireless charging a long time ago.

GOSH, I HOPE Windows doesn't do away with the Windows Phone. I have a Samsung ATIV running Windows 8 and I've spent half a day today searching for a Windows 10 phone. And then will it work on the Verizon Network... I will change networks to whoever my Windows 10 phone will work (Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile). Verizon texted me a list of phones that will work on their network. They didn't know whether they were Windows or Android. So, now, I have to go through them and figure that out.

Has anyone purchased a W10 phone recently and, if so, what phone did you purchase and which network are you on (so I know which network to change over to)? If you have Verizon and purchased a W10 phone, what phone did you purchase?

I don't want to give up my Windows Phone. I've used both Android and iPhone and I honestly do not see WHY people like them. Whenever I go into a phone store, I ask about Windows Phones. Most of the reps know nothing about them. I spend about 5-7 minutes showing them my Windows 8 phone and what it does and I *always* receive a response, "WOW! I didn't know it did all that!!!" I swear I've converted people over.

The problem was marketing. The problem was that iPhone was able to sell a lesser phone because they hyped it. iPhone was "cool". I'm amazed at the reaction to my Windows Phone when I'm able to show people what it does (which I do annoyingly, I'm sure -- but they are happy by the end of the demo).

I love my Windows Phone and will probably stick with it until it is finally over. I don't need Windows Phone Support -- I think I pretty much know more about it than them anyway.

Time to think outside of the box because SOON - you'll be one of us :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise