Andromeda Device Petition

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I signed the petition as Andromeda will really help make me and my colleagues more productive, right now the ngo I work for uses laptops to register basketball players who are attending community games.

I need a touch screen device with pen support that I can carry with me, has exceptional battery life and can make phone calls.

Right now, I have to carry my laptop and phone, since the tablet I have is an android one it throws off my work flow completely. I don't need legacy applications on my tablet as I have my laptop for that. But i find I am using my windows phone for most of my work. But since Edge is clunkier than a snail stuck on molasses it's a frustrating experience.

Especially since the ngo uses google suite of apps. With Edge, they are as functional as using a sieve to pour soup instead of a ladel.

With andromeda I won't need to carry my bulky 17inch laptop to community games. I need the screen real estate when back in the office for multitasking. With pen support I'd be able to sign up more players for community games. Also pen support would make drafting up the GDPR policy soooo much easier.

Last edited:

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I signed too. Will it hurry MS along in getting back into some form of Mobile? I don't think so, but it does show the level of interest and support in the device, I've recently been to the following MS conferences "Future Decoded", "Bing Insiders" and "Dev Insider Tour", "SQL Bits", I have never seen so many windows phones (especially at future decoded).
The most asked question at these events has been regarding mobile and MS future plans.

MS already know there's a lot of geek support for Windows Mobile, this petition shows there's interest outside the core geek fandom. as a glimmer of hope at the "Dev insiders Tour" Teams for non business organisations was asked for (and supported by the audience) and this has now been released, so MS is listening.

Thomas Molina

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
it's like Microsoft never learns. if they want to do mobile, I think they should focus on an Android device. I heard there's rumors that's what they're doing, but I hope theyre true. I know they could make an ultimate Android phone, just how they designed their windows phones. when i look at all of their phones, I feel like the hardware is ahead of its time (lumia 1020, 950xl, 1520). however, the software could have been a lot better. it was honestly the lack of apps and its support, and the underwhelmingly, poorly designed OS that didn't not sit well with the consumer. it's like the team didn't even try to compete with apple and Android. I remember all of my lumias (1020, 900, 950xl), including my Alcatel idol, infested with systematic bugs. ): the only way I see surface Andromeda gaining popularity for non-business consumers is if it's running a Microsoft version of Android, like Samsung did. but obviously that won't happen and doesn't make any sense to me since I would expect a windows device, with Andromeda having been designed for business.

abduz

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks, I came across this petition for the Andromeda Device to be released, it has over 15k signatures so far.

Do you think this will be an effective strategy? Will it impact Microsoft's decision on the device at all? Will you be signing it?

"Show Microsoft the demand for the Surface Phone or Andromeda!"

No I don't think it will be effective at all. If anything, I think the 15k signatures is more reason for them NOT to release it. This was more of a confirmation for them that there isn't much interest/demand for the device.

Maybe it's just me but a petition for mobile devices should be up there in the few hundred thousand digits range ...15k is really nothing and out of the 15K maybe 50% of those will actually purchase the device if not less. Keep in mind we also don't know anything about it and we haven't even seen the final look, if the retail version doesn't look "good enough" for some of these 15k signatures, the number of buyers is going to be even less than 7500k

At the end of the day, Microsoft will either choose to release it or not and I don't think any petition will convince them since they know what they are targeting and moving towards. If Microsoft really wanted to listen they would have done so when they had a larger userbase, which spoke more than a petition ...and they so they would have kept the momentum going at the peak of Windows Phone/Mobile while continuing to work on their future agenda, without losing it's consumers/fans.

So in conclusion, if MS didn't listen to numbers it actually had (which is usually more reliable than a petition), then I doubt they will care for any petition, let alone 15k.

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I signed the petition as Andromeda will really help make me and my colleagues more productive, right now the ngo I work for uses laptops to register basketball players who are attending community games.

I need a touch screen device with pen support that I can carry with me, has exceptional battery life and can make phone calls.

Right now, I have to carry my laptop and phone, since the tablet I have is an android one it throws off my work flow completely. I don't need legacy applications on my tablet as I have my laptop for that. But i find I am using my windows phone for most of my work. But since Edge is a clunkier than a snail stuck on molasses it's a frustrating experience.

Especially since the ngo uses google suite of apps. With Edge, they are as functional as using a sieve to pour soup instead of a ladel.

With andromeda I won't need to carry my bulky 17inch laptop to community games. I need the screen real estate when back in the office for multitasking. With pen support I'd be able to sign up more players for community games. Also pen support would make drafting up the GDPR policy soooo much easier.
Why not just get a Windows tablet with LTE and Pen support. A device like this can also make phone calls. You can have everything you want today. This is the same experience MS is describing with Andomeda, except in a smaller form factor.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Besides costs and "MS is done creating something just because it can", I think Software is another factory to consider (I'm not talking about the app gap. I don't need mobile games and email client from some no bodies).
Andromeda is a dual screen device. It's not our daily 2 screens setup in the office and I think MS want's to make sure, there are some heavy weight applications utilize the feature before they release it. Closest example... a game specifically designed for 3DS vs a no-effort port. And that's why MS wants to postpone the project.

A single screen Andromeda would be easy. Windows now supports ARM, and ARM and Small goes well together.
It's like put a Snapdragon 1K into a ARROWS Tab V567/P. Increase the UI size, set tablet mode as default then you are good to go.

Will the petition work? If meaningful dual screen experience is their concern, then NO.
Maybe people should start a new petition, ask for a single screen Andromeda instead. I would want one.

17K is still too low tbh..

Last edited:

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey folks, I came across this petition for the Andromeda Device to be released, it has over 15k signatures so far.

Do you think this will be an effective strategy? Will it impact Microsoft's decision on the device at all? Will you be signing it?

A waste of time. People are delusional if they think they can steer the strategic plans of one of the world's biggest companies by signing a petition.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Why not just get a Windows tablet with LTE and Pen support. A device like this can also make phone calls. You can have everything you want today. This is the same experience MS is describing with Andomeda, except in a smaller form factor.
You are not wrong, the only problem is, I wish to dock a WoA on my gamepad to run XPAs :p
Having a smaller device on your palm for Surface Pen isn't a bad idea either tbh.

Last edited:

mbrooks78

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I think they are doing the consumer a solid for once by not releasing it. It could be a really cool product, but we know it would be expensive and will be a dusty novelty for most in a year or two when Microsoft abandons the device and ceases updates and patches.

sagoo33

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site

No way will I bother signing it, it wouldn't make a difference anyway, and I think I'm over supporting Microsoft's consumer devices.
I bought a Surface pro 1(still using it), Band 2 (it broke), Lumia 950 (still using it), Lumia 635 for my wife(still using it). I'm a C# developer, but I won't be taking any more punts on telephony devices or new gadgets from MS again - it's not worth it, been burnt, not again.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I signed it. I agree with the voices here who said it probably won't matter to MS. As for the total number of signatures though, while yeah, anything under a million is a small number, for a tech device on that particular petition site, tens of thousands is actually a large number. Many of their "Popular" petitions have fewer than 100,000, and I only see a handful that are north of a million (and they're all political). In any case, it doesn't hurt to sign it. Competition and innovation are good. So, I'd suggest everyone sign it.

hamphlet

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Can't see it making any difference and I'd guess that the reason it may have been canned is because it's just not good enough anyway. Shame.

Nayden

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
Signed it too, however I feel somehow Satya has laid Microsoft's mobile efforts in the grave without an option for coming back from the dead.

PFSP

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site

There are at least two problems with this.

1. if Microsoft isn't committed to it, then I don't want one. The last thing I need is yet more technology from them that they are going to abandon. And if they are committed to it, we don't need a petition.

2. What am I asking them to save? until it is more of real product with actual features and specs, what does it do? Yes some items have been leaked/speculated but they are just that. Is it two screens? One folding screen? What kind of price point? Does it dock and I can use it with a keyboard/mouse and monitors for full PC experience. Does it run win 32 through emulation? Depending on the feature set I may or may not decide it is a device I want to own.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
17,500 have signed it. No harm done and who knows it might do some good. This world runs on numbers and this, at the very least, says there is interest. 17,500 * $900.00 = $15,750,000. Voting is easy. Stand up and support what you like.
Best Wishes.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Signed it when the petition first launched a few weeks ago. Can me a ****** (or whatever other name the Windows haters like to use round here) but I'd sign it a hundred time over if it let me...

Not because I think MS will give a crap about this petition, but because it represents a tiny opportunity to stick a fork in Microsoft's eye and let them know that 17,000+ people think they're just dead wrong not to launch this device in 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786