Why developers are not ready to invest their time for the Windows 10 mobile app development?

c8hrish

Jul 23, 2018
Visit site
Recent news of truecaller stopping its services for windows 10 mobile platform raises this question inside me that has not been answered to my expectation. I mean, what is it that developers wanted that microsoft is not ready to provide? What android and iOS especially doing for that? What is microsoft's current stake?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's sad that so many developers have abandoned Windows 10 Mobile. However, the thing that is not provided to developers are users. Most people who had used Windows 10 Mobile have since switched to iOS or Android, so there is no financial reason for developers to support apps on a platform few people use. The Windows 10 Mobile user base will only continue to decline, rather than grow, since Microsoft itself is no longer providing support, other than maintenance updates.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Recent news of truecaller stopping its services for windows 10 mobile platform raises this question inside me that has not been answered to my expectation. I mean, what is it that developers wanted that microsoft is not ready to provide? What android and iOS especially doing for that? What is microsoft's current stake?

This is a never-ending circle.

Developers make great software that consumers want which drives hardware adoption. To make the software, developers need hardware, to make hardware you need consumers, to get consumers you actually have to care about them and the devices you sell.

Guess which part MS fails at?

..yep, all. Sadly.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft failed early. It failed to identify how important the app store was in selling devices and attempted to ride the Nokia monopoly wave in creating lots of Lumias.

By then, most consumers had been invested into the Google/Apply infrastructure and weren't going to move to a platform without their apps.

It's like Microsoft invented the world's best horse carriage about 20 years after the automobile was invented and wondering why everyone didn't make wheels and seats for this really frikking awesome horse-cart.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's like Microsoft invented the world's best horse carriage about 20 years after the automobile was invented and wondering why everyone didn't make wheels and seats for this really frikking awesome horse-cart.

This is an interesting analogy. And it is disturbingly valid!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft failed early. It failed to identify how important the app store was in selling devices and attempted to ride the Nokia monopoly wave in creating lots of Lumias.

By then, most consumers had been invested into the Google/Apply infrastructure and weren't going to move to a platform without their apps.

Not quite. They made a fantastic car with useful features but they named it Edsel.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
This why i think Andromeda is dead in the water...too little, way too late:(

If there was a device like it currently, then I'd be willing to say yea, it's too late, but we don't have anything solid yet from other competitors. A few are trying. If MS waits too long, it will probably fail. The push to move it to next year, wasn't/isn't a bad idea. Keep in mind that if MS (even worse the Surface team) launches a half-baked device, the 'tech journalists' won't be looking at the positives and the 'what could be' aspect of the device. They will bash the device so badly that your less than average Joe probably won't even take a look at it.

Perception is key when it comes to the masses

Last edited:

RohanRonQM

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
A couple of competitors such as Samsung, Sharp, and Mitusbishi are attempting at dual display devices but are also postponing theirs' till later in 2019. Judging by who makes phone screens it might make sense why there is a delay.

naaz3003

Jul 27, 2018
Visit site
Windows 10 mobile app development is not developing those apps which are required for users.Investing in new app development is important as users are waiting.

Dwarf_King

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
How does this sounds :Hi app developed we are gonna shut down all support in December 2019 and by the way we found it hard to understand why the world would need a third operating system for mobiles when we have IOS and Android.... Yeah now all the developers really wish to jump on board and the third part hardware venders like HP and Alcatel must have been trilled to hear those kind of comments.... In reality deciding to shut down Windows 10 mobile must have been the worst decision ever taken. In the long run. No Andromeda device will remove the need for handhold devices that can run apps and access websites on the run. Windows 10 mobile is only still useful right now because of the websites' mobile 📱 versions and the many few stubborn app devs who still keep supporting their universal apps.

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
there is no financial reason for developers to support apps on a platform few people use.

It's hard to believe that I am a part of world where everything is done for "financial reasons". Because it is not. There are still people out there who do things because they like it. Microsoft may have stopped supporting W10M but they still support UWP, C#, Visual Studio, ASP.Net, Azure, MS SQL Server etc and those are the things that developers care about.

Dwarf_King

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
Windows 10 mobile 📱 iis supported until at least December 2019. Bug fixes and maintenance. Core apps such as Outlook and Calendar etc. are all seeing regular updates as well. The app called AppRaisin is good for checking out the updates in more details. Also for most of a smart phone user's needs a premium Windows Phone like Lumia 950 (XL), HP Elite x3 or the Alcatel Idol S4 Pro will be just fine. I personally recommend the Lumia 950 XL. If one can accept that some of the former apps used now has to be used in a Mobile Browser instead that is. I am actually finding some Mobile websites better than the apps. Pretty funny to think about. 😃
Originally posted by Free-Spirit
Originally Posted by Laura Knotek
there is no financial reason for developers to support apps on a platform few people use.

It's hard to believe that I am a part of world where everything is done for "financial reasons". Because it is not. There are still people out there who do things because they like it. Microsoft may have stopped supporting W10M but they still support UWP, C#, Visual Studio, ASP.Net, Azure, MS SQL Server etc and those are the things that developers care about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss