Very sad day for me as a WM fan

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I've been a user of Windows Mobile 100% exclusively since 2003. I've owned every great WM flagship there have been and many more over the years. I used to be a active dev on XDA for many years as well.

This past week my 950XL that I've had since the week it launched, finally started giving up the ghost. Apps not opening, then sometims working a couple days later, then not working again, even after removing and reinstalling, resets, etc.

It's been a great 15 years that I had hoped would never come to an end, but I'm afraid it must. I can't get an app for nearly all popular services anymore and many have been discontinued over the past couple years. I've really tried to hang in there, but it makes no sense to buy another 950XL at this point to get by until the next Windows Mobile device may come out.

Goodbye my fellow Windows Mobile enthusiasts, it's been a great run :cheers:

anon(10505149)

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
It's been a great 15 years that I had hoped would never come to an end, but I'm afraid it must. I can't get an app for nearly all popular services anymore and many have been discontinued over the past couple years.

Sorry for your pain man. I feel it too. Sadly I think Microsoft's neglect of its own app store will lead to its decline in all consumer focused products.

No sane developer would write a NEW Win32 app. UWP? Microsoft's retreat from the phone, and their half-hearted, pathetic, stalling on CoreOS and Andromeda, only signals an utter lack of commitment and thus further decline in UWP/PWA and light computing.

Microsoft will eventually be reduced to Office 365, back office services on Azure, and windows 10 running laptops in Enterprise cubicles. Will they survive as a company? Sure. Enterprises spend a lot of money on IT. But consumer and Microsoft are finished.

My advice is to also buy an iPad, a Mac, and an Alexa device and just be done with MS altogether in your home.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Angilla 1980 we will miss you. Hopfully when Andromeda is released you will come back to widows. Until then best of luck and pop back here from time to time, we will be curious as to your next phone expierance. Al

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Angilla 1980 we will miss you. Hopfully when Andromeda is released you will come back to widows. Until then best of luck and pop back here from time to time, we will be curious as to your next phone expierance. Al

Thanks. I absolutely will soon as a mobile with it is released! I had been waiting patiently but now that my hardware is failing, gotta jump.

I just bought my first Android phone and it arrives Thursday. I got the ASUS ZenFone 5Z (US version). I plan on Microsoft'fying it as much as possible since I use all of their services.

I've never owned an Apple device and don't plan on it. I have worked with them professionaly and run OS X in a VM, but the hardware is too expensive the there are too many proprietary things I dislike about Apple. Perhaps I'll get back in dev work with the Android if I like it. I really will miss WM tho. I have an SP3 still and a laptop running Qubes OS for everything else.

Alex

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You got to use what works for you, if WM no longer does the job then there is nothing much that can be done about that except lay the blame on Microsoft for foregoing the mobile space the way they did.

It's not all down to the current CEO, the shareholders are too blame as they pushed out Steve Ballmer due to the Nokia d & s acquisition. All they were worried about was their quarterly dividends, sure as a CEO the company is beholden to shareholders if it's not privately owned - But most shareholders don't see beyond their own wallets.

Which is why Dell was stuck in a rut churning out crappy laptop after crappy laptop, after taken back by Michael Dell - (who alongside others founded Dell) has made a massive resurgence in quality and high end laptops.

Anyway, you have sailfish which may be an option as Jolla is made up of ex-nokians and is based in Finland.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Enjoy. I have been mostly happy having gone with my Iphone but still use Windows and Mint on desktops. Won't use a Mac.

Sent from mTalk on my HP Elite X3

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I was in the same boat last year. I have up went to Android and never looked back. Microsoft completely dropped the ball in mobile I think I'm done with them completely on phones and mobile services. I've been using them since the HTC touch pro 1 all the way to the idol 4s

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I've been using Android for over 10 months now and looking at going back to W10M. My V20 is very problematic now, so starting to use my old Idol 4s more and more. I still see some new 950xl's on eBay. Might buy one. I'm actually surprised most of the apps I used last year still work.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
My phone arrived today and already had my first big disappointment. Turns out that in order to have both of my SIM cards in, I can not use the MicroSD, which is a big problem since I formatted it to be additional storage. That's a hugh negative and I have no idea why ASUS would screw users like that. No one wants to remove their SD card to swap their 2nd SIM.

Miss my 950XL already :(

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
My phone arrived today and already had my first big disappointment. Turns out that in order to have both of my SIM cards in, I can not use the MicroSD, which is a big problem since I formatted it to be additional storage. That's a hugh negative and I have no idea why ASUS would screw users like that. No one wants to remove their SD card to swap their 2nd SIM.

Miss my 950XL already :(
I know, I'm with you on that. It will be a sad day for me too when I have to leave W10M. I still use my dual sim 950 with 2 sim cards installed and also my 256 gb micro SD card. And all is still working just great. I bought recently a back up battery from rounded.com for when it will be needed. I take super care of the device too. Just wish more developers would,at least make PWAs for us.

Sent from mTalk

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been a user of Windows Mobile 100% exclusively since 2003. I've owned every great WM flagship there have been and many more over the years. I used to be a active dev on XDA for many years as well.

This past week my 950XL that I've had since the week it launched, finally started giving up the ghost. Apps not opening, then sometims working a couple days later, then not working again, even after removing and reinstalling, resets, etc.

It's been a great 15 years that I had hoped would never come to an end, but I'm afraid it must. I can't get an app for nearly all popular services anymore and many have been discontinued over the past couple years. I've really tried to hang in there, but it makes no sense to buy another 950XL at this point to get by until the next Windows Mobile device may come out.

Goodbye my fellow Windows Mobile enthusiasts, it's been a great run :cheers:

This happened to me too, sadly. Been a Windows Phone fan for around ten years or so. Sadly now I had to move to Android. Luckily I ended up selling my Windows phones so they will still get some use instead of being locked in a drawer somewhere, so that's a good thing.

I miss Windows Phone but I've also moved on as well and made peace with the fact that MS will never release another mobile device again. That counts for Andromeda too, which, apparently, won't be a traditional mobile device but is already facing being canned already.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3