Andromeda Question

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
Is it likely that the update for Windows 10 to run concurrently with the release of Andromeda is to put the W10M user interface onto W10 as a new and improved Tablet mode?

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Is it likely that the update for Windows 10 to run concurrently with the release of Andromeda is to put the W10M user interface onto W10 as a new and improved Tablet mode?

Yup, it's possible. There are reports that the best bits of Windows mobile 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 could re-appear in Andromeda, and that could be the reason Microsoft kept supporting those operating systems for so long after they were clearly dead...maybe MS has been refining them to show up in a new form factor, baked in as a hybrid between Windows 10 and a new ultra mobile Windows varient...called Andromeda ??????

Maybe. Only maybe. We know very little about Andromeda. Very very little

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
its gonna have live tiles on a sub 7" per screen form factor, what could it possibly look like if not w10m? atom tablets already look like oversized lumias

Nero cui

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site

W10M has really limited interface. Knowing what Andromeda is going to be, it's more likely that it will have a interface more like that of the Surface Hub 2.

Kaymd

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

Yes please, an improved or evolved version. The main reason I'm still holding on to my 950XL is that I can't let go of the WM10 UI. So I also carry around an Android for the occasional Uber or Lyft and use my Lumia as my main for everything else. The WM10 UI is so far beyond anything on Android or iOS it's not even funny. Just evolve it, make it faster, add some polish and we're good.
And the keyboard too, don't forget the keyboard of WM10!

fat8893

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Live Tile makes Windows Phone 8/8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile stands out from the rest. As long as the Andromeda UI have Live Tile, I'm more than happy.

Sean Russell1

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I still think the tiles are very off-putting. I think they should redesign the home screen. I think this is also a reason that windows phone didn't sell. The UI looks clunky.

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Live tiles and customability are a big reason I love the W10M interface. Although I wouldn't mind something a bit different and more modern on an Andromeda device, but can't imagine it would be that much different.

kingtigre

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking not. I'm expecting something more akin to a start screen with notifications and some apps (like a widgety desktop) But with a start menu that feels a bit like W10M UI. They will come at this hard from a productivity angle. Expect calendar/email to be at the forefront. They know their bread and butter is in Enterprise, so this device will be for them first.

I wouldn't be against a "Tablet mode" feature that allows for that W10M feeling though. Hell, it would probably be my default. I'm just not expecting MS to push that UX on people from the start.

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
I would prefer an improved Tablet mode to go with Andromeda than Windows Mobile UI tbh. They look alike anyways except that the Win10 version can also go portrait mode and was made for big screens. I don't think it will make a difference in thw end though.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Live Tile makes Windows Phone 8/8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile stands out from the rest. As long as the Andromeda UI have Live Tile, I'm more than happy.

I agree with you here, my mom lumia 650 is giving issues, i'm using 950XL and my wife has the 950, my wife will get my XL and my mom will get the 950, I'll be getting an iPhone X 256GB that my cousin purchased and Apple Store replaced with a new one about a month ago for 600 bucks, she is changing her phone to Samsung Note 10 in February next year. She will be helping me out since I'm from Caribbean and we usually have to pay full for phones here, she knows someone travelling here soon and they will bring the iPhone. Even though I'll be switching to Apple, the only reason is because of apps and it's great deal i'm getting but I'll be using strictly Microsoft apps on it when received.My family loves Windows UI ,live tiles and Action Center on Windows 10M.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
agreed , live tiles , customizations and the functionality are what's great for Windows 10M interface, on your point about more modern and things can't be much different , I'm sure they can do something modern with great swipes and gestures, the iPhone X is classic example of biggest change in getting things done in iPhone interface and has been well accepted. iPhone X outsells all the other iPhone models in 2017 alone, that speaks.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I still think the tiles are very off-putting. I think they should redesign the home screen. I think this is also a reason that windows phone didn't sell. The UI looks clunky.

there is some customization, but with Live Tiles it is possible to glance at your phone and have necessary information and not having to touch your phone, heck you can pin many parts of an app to your homescreen, UWP features are heck damn awesome once implemented well

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
My money is on it being almost exactly like their launcher for Android.
Edit: Okay, maybe not EXACTLY, but close to it and a mix of regular Windows 10

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
The Andromeda is to be posed as a new device category I personally think this is a great opportunity to move beyond old UX's.

I would like to see the Andromeda's UK being far more task focused, perhaps using elements of the Android launcher.

Since I have used the android launcher I rarely touch the app drawstring the day. Instead my actions are around continuity from tasks launched on my Pc, tasks around meetings or responses to recent activity.

I feel that the UI should be around services not apps, when I have an appointment it should be showing me times, places and travel as a card I can interact to get things done with not Calendar, Maps and citymapper as three apps I need to interact with.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I suppose... just mute the Desktop and make StartScreen the default Win key action would work just fine?
Then maybe enlarge UI scale settings a lilo bit?

derstef

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site

I would love to get the W10M UI on newer mobile devices. Compared with the UI of Apple and Google it is miles ahead in the way it uses screenspace and also regarding status information (animated & changing reports instead just number bubbles). Also i can't understand what people love about having to deal with multiple Homescreens. The scrolling if W10M feels way more natural. Of course these are all personal opinions. I really hope MS won't exchange their UI for something like the competition offers...

Ferkner

May 17, 2017
Visit site
I just moved to Android from Windows 10 Mobile this past weekend and I already miss it. If this new thing has a UI similar to W10M (if it ever comes out), only the price of the device would stop me from switching back. I never wanted a smartphone until they showed off Windows Phone 7 many moons ago. I am doing everything I can to get Android to look like W10M.

Dan12R

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I think we'll see heavy influence from W10M on Andromeda. However, I'm sure it will be refined. It needs to be refined simply due to the alleged approach of the device.

It's hard to say exactly what it should be or should look like without confirmed details on the device. I can't say that it needs to be X, Y, and Z if X, Y, and Z are essentials only if characteristics A, B, and C are present.

Manus Imperceptus

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm expecting something extremely Edge-centric. They'll never catch up with apps, so why even go that way? Concentrate on Edge, and Office in Tabs. Maybe design a completely new, configurable Edge Start page, with all relevant information and notifications...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3