Why Don't W10M Launchers Cut It?

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I've tried every Windows Phone-style launcher on Google Play and none of them provide a "true" WP experience. Aside from having live-ish tiles, they feel nothing like the original. It seems like they were all created by someone who never used a Windows Mobile device (I know the developer of SquareHome 2 has admitted to never using it). I know a lot of people here real about Launcher 10, I'm using 8 myself. I don't like it much but it's better than Android and I just got used to it, I guess.

What do you all think there getting wrong? And what do you think they're doing well?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've used multiple platforms, both mobile and desktop, over the years. Since I've used desktop Linux in addition to desktop Windows, I've never attempted to replicate the experience from one platform to another. I've always adapted to whatever new platform I've tried: Symbian, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, Android. Otherwise, to me, I would not have enjoyed the experience.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Why are you trying to recreate W10M on Android? They are two different platforms. I also tried a few W10M launchers for Android, and yes, they were not that good. Try Microsoft's own Android launcher instead. You may be pleasantly surprised with it.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I've used multiple platforms, both mobile and desktop, over the years. Since I've used desktop Linux in addition to desktop Windows, I've never attempted to replicate the experience from one platform to another. I've always adapted to whatever new platform I've tried: Symbian, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, Android. Otherwise, to me, I would not have enjoyed the experience.

I can admire this approach, you are more of a tech adventurist, I would probably consider myself a tech efficientist...I don't care to try and learn new tech that does what I already have or will have when an update is available (some day); I guess I would rather try to get the most out of what I have and have become comfortable with, while using my limited brain capacity to learn a different branch of technology:) I am currently playing with ARC and MIG welding, and for an old guy, I find it fun to have a little more control on how a things work out. As far as my phone is concerned (still using my 950XL), I am very efficient at not having any new features, but the launcher still works...hehe.

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
I think launchers run as an application and hence they lag a bit & have limited feature set. If Windows 10 Mobile UI is implemented in custom ROM, the Android phone will feel like a Windows phone, except that it will have all the apps! I wonder why Microsoft is making one..

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Lipstick on a pig. Anybody here remember those body kits to make a VW Beetle look like a Rolls Royce back in the 70s?

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I've seen a MG as a Rolls, and a Beetle masquerading as a Porche !!

.... Lumia 830 from planet Orange!!

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Why are you trying to recreate W10M on Android? They are two different platforms. I also tried a few W10M launchers for Android, and yes, they were not that good. Try Microsoft's own Android launcher instead. You may be pleasantly surprised with it.

Because android OS is boring, with their static icons and numbered limited info regarding received emails or messages? And don't get me started on mobile IOS...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Because android OS is boring, with their static icons and numbered limited info regarding received emails or messages? And don't get me started on mobile IOS...
Actually I think Android is hardly boring. There is so much clutter and unintuitiveness (I just made up that word) that it keeps you on your toes to do the simplest task. You can't say it's because Android being Linux-based makes it such a fustercluck because webOS is very related to Android and it's pure sweetness.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
As others have pointed out, they are just masks that attempt to cover the OS. They are not part of the OS.
If you switch to a different platform use it as it is meant to be used and you will be less frustrated. You can call them boring but they work just fine.

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Actually I think Android is hardly boring. There is so much clutter and unintuitiveness (I just made up that word) that it keeps you on your toes to do the simplest task. You can't say it's because Android being Linux-based makes it such a fustercluck because webOS is very related to Android and it's pure sweetness.

Don't you think that UI is independent of other underlying components of the OS? If Microsoft wants they can make custom ROM for Android with an UI exactly similar to W10M.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't you think that UI is independent of other underlying components of the OS? If Microsoft wants they can make custom ROM for Android with an UI exactly similar to W10M.
Absolutely not. Mechanically speaking, the AMC Pacer outperformed most of its competition but people stayed away from that rolling fishbowl in droves. Only tech geeks can look past a poor UI. It's no different than the fabled "but she has a wonderful personality that can light up a room". Meanwhile she's only got 3 Kentucky teeth.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Or those Pontiac Fiero kits that try to be a Ferrari? LOL ������

In the UK, it was a Toyota MR2 made to look like a Ferrari 355. I know Android may look boring, and you are right in parts, but I like MS's launcher app the most. It's far better than the standard launcher Xiaomi provided.

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
From what I think I know about launchers and android, biggest reason for 'false' experience could be tiles. Android has widgets, where apps draw their content. Think of dead tiles, maybe supporting different sizes (for better or worse)...
Other than that, launchers do not seem to have many restrictions whatsoever.

Before moving to android again, I had cheap small (4.something ") android phone to toy with. Square Home 2 looked quite good on it, but then, on 5.2" screen of "real" phone, it suddenly didn't. Lumia 640 was almost the same size. Funny. Maybe the margins inside tiles were too big or font was too skinny. It didn't feel right, so I went with MS launcher and vertical scrolling home pages (it is very rare feature in launchers) 😉

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett