Factory resetting Lumia 950, effect on apps on memory card

Sienkiewicz

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Will a memory card and apps on it work after factory reset? How about backupping everything and putting them back on the reformatted card?

My Lumia 950 feels like it's on its last legs. Brand new battery with full charge won't last a day of light use and I get some odd restarts now and then. I'm going to factory reset the phone to see if it helps. However, some of the apps I use a lot are not available anymore in the Windows Store. If I move them all to the memory card, factory reset the phone and then put the memory card back in will the apps work or will the card require reformatting and all my data on the card be lost?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Will a memory card and apps on it work after factory reset? How about backupping everything and putting them back on the reformatted card?

My Lumia 950 feels like it's on its last legs. Brand new battery with full charge won't last a day of light use and I get some odd restarts now and then. I'm going to factory reset the phone to see if it helps. However, some of the apps I use a lot are not available anymore in the Windows Store. If I move them all to the memory card, factory reset the phone and then put the memory card back in will the apps work or will the card require reformatting and all my data on the card be lost?

The apps will need to be reinstalled even if you move it to the msd card, you can re-install many of the apps via "my library" in the hamburger menu providing you use the same Microsoft account.

This is because the apps get locked to specific unique user "key".

The only way you can do a full phone back up is to use Windows Phone Internals, you will need to enable mass storage mode to do so therefore make sure it's fully charged as the phone will not charge. To enable it, you can use the same tool.

Wpinternals linked below.

Standard disclaimer: If you use the tool, you do so at your own risk.

www.wpinternals.net/index.php/downloads

Sienkiewicz

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the reply!
So even if I can't find some apps with the store's search I can re-install them from my library. That would be great.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the reply!
So even if I can't find some apps with the store's search I can re-install them from my library. That would be great.

Yes, that is correct. All apps will need to be reinstalled again. Be careful though. I found that when MS removed apps from the Store they also were removed from my library too and so were completely gone and I couldn't get them back.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that is correct. All apps will need to be reinstalled again. Be careful though. I found that when MS removed apps from the Store they also were removed from my library too and so were completely gone and I couldn't get them back.

Yup, sometimes you can't reinstall the apps that is either they were removed completely from the store by Microsoft or developer. Generally, when apps are removed the access to the app is removed via the search but is accessible using keyword search engine searches / old urls and via My Library.

However Microsoft has changed how the store divert works as you now need to login every time you use a old url app link or clicking on the app url via a search engine search - Unless you are logged in already in the browser.

Whereas in the past it will autodirect to the store page and you could also push app installs via my library on Microsoft.com but that functionality was been removed.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Yup, sometimes you can't reinstall the apps that is either they were removed completely from the store by Microsoft or developer. Generally, when apps are removed the access to the app is removed via the search but is accessible using keyword search engine searches / old urls and via My Library.

However Microsoft has changed how the store divert works as you now need to login every time you use a old url app link or clicking on the app url via a search engine search - Unless you are logged in already in the browser.

Whereas in the past it will autodirect to the store page and you could also push app installs via my library on Microsoft.com but that functionality was been removed.

I remember that Windows Phone 8 had that feature for installing apps on your phone from the Store website. Like how the Play Store does it now. Those were the days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss