Don't need Google for awesome mobile experience

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
So i've sadly beeen forced to move on from my 950XL and Windows mobile; so many good memories. I was worried when I picked up my S8+ that i would get swallowed up into the bottomless Google pit of doom.
But after about a year in Android world, i've come to realization: I hardly use any Google services anymore.
The only Google products I use on my phone is the Google Play Store, and Google Maps. Everything else is either Microsoft or Samsung.

Samsung: phone dialer, calendar, dark themes, messages, pay, health and others

Microsoft: Skype, all the Office 365 suite apps, Bing, Edge etc.

My phone is basically a Microsoft/Samsung blend. I harldy use any Google products.

This reminds me of my first Windows phone: Samsung ATIV S. It was awesome!!! Samsung hardware, and Microsoft software.
With my S8+, I feel like I've almost gone 'back to the future'! "Micro-sung'

raytiger

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
More power to you. I had to put my L930 down because of phone damage. I'm looking to buy one of the Samsung androids, forever hoping to return to Windows ecosystem again someday when MSFT launches Surface Andromeda with LTE.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Isn't the idea behind it all that Google is analyzing and using your data? I'm not against your approach lol. I have the same setup, but just wondering

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Why are you paranoid? Almost every big tech companies nowadays uses your data

I wouldn't say I'm paranoid :/ I didn't say that I wasn't using anything related to Google. That would be kind of hard to do and requires a lot of 'working around', but I do try to limit it if possible. It's just a personal preference

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
"Don't need Google for awesome mobile experience"

Very true. In fact, you don't need Google at all, for anything.

I have never used Google for searching. I was searching before Google existed. I have iPhones and iPads and use no Google crap at all.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
So i've sadly beeen forced to move on from my 950XL and Windows mobile; so many good memories. I was worried when I picked up my S8+ that i would get swallowed up into the bottomless Google pit of doom.
But after about a year in Android world, i've come to realization: I hardly use any Google services anymore.
The only Google products I use on my phone is the Google Play Store, and Google Maps. Everything else is either Microsoft or Samsung.

Samsung: phone dialer, calendar, dark themes, messages, pay, health and others

Microsoft: Skype, all the Office 365 suite apps, Bing, Edge etc.

My phone is basically a Microsoft/Samsung blend. I harldy use any Google products.

This reminds me of my first Windows phone: Samsung ATIV S. It was awesome!!! Samsung hardware, and Microsoft software.
With my S8+, I feel like I've almost gone 'back to the future'! "Micro-sung'

I am the same, except I have a Xiaomi phone, so no Samsung apps. I mainly have MS apps and stuff from the Play Store.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm not in Google's 'ecosystem', and I don't have to be, to be satisfied with my tech needs. Almost everything on my phone is either Samsung or Microsoft, and I'm very happy with what I've got going. Our school and work is all in on Office 365, so I don't need any Google cloud services. The only Google stuff I need is OS on my S8+, and Google Maps...that's it...

lignum1966

Jun 30, 2019
Visit site
I've gone the other way, went from Win 10 mobile to Android a while back but now I've picked up a Lumia 950 XL and will be using that for a while . Loved my Lumia 640 before but wanted something a little larger and slightly more powerful .Had a Ulefone T1 and then got a S60 Lite from Dodgy , I mean Doogee but it's not that reliable.
Anyway , my main beef was that I need the phone in the car a fair bit at times and as you would already know with the Lumia I can answer phone calls or even listen and reply to sms messages completely hands free. With the Android phones I had/have I can answer phone calls with the car bluetooth system (my BT enabled Kenwood stereo) if I touch a button on the stereo or remote control but can't listen to or reply to sms messages. I've read about and tried various solutions like Android auto and the like but nothing compares to the Win 10 mobile experience for ease of use in the car and with no additional software needed, cant believe that Android haven't jumped on that one yet .
It's only that I use a number of apps for Android that are not available on Win 10 mobile that I have any concerns at all and most of them I can get around by using a web browser , it's just not as easy and convenient as using a ready made app like for Android or IOS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs