Does any former Windows Phone user feel like moving to Android was a downgrade?

IdleMind

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Another feature I neglected to mention that I miss is announcing incoming caller names. Android phone does do this, but only on the very first ring. I like that the Windows phone has the option to have the name announced, and that it keeps announcing. When not near the phone or in an environment where you can't hear clearly you will certainly almost always miss that first announcement. What was best about that feature is I could decide if I want to walk into the room to grab the phone, or not. Now I have to stop what I'm doing, go look at the phone to see if it's a call I need to take now, or if it can wait until a later time.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Another feature I neglected to mention that I miss is announcing incoming caller names. Android phone does do this, but only on the very first ring. I like that the Windows phone has the option to have the name announced, and that it keeps announcing. When not near the phone or in an environment where you can't hear clearly you will certainly almost always miss that first announcement. What was best about that feature is I could decide if I want to walk into the room to grab the phone, or not. Now I have to stop what I'm doing, go look at the phone to see if it's a call I need to take now, or if it can wait until a later time.

Yea, it's little things like that which I find generally annoying.

I hate that everything tries to force you onto using a fingerprint scanner, because the pin is not optimised. For instance, my pin is 8 digits, android forces you to still push an enter key. While not end of the world, it takes some getting used to. I don't think some brute force hacker is going to be greatly inconvenienced that they can't tell that my pin is 8 digits, like it's still a 100,000,000 combinations.

Also, WP had a great feature of not requiring you to enter your pin for a few minutes. Android has this as well, but it doesn't work as it should, because it behaves more like a hack rather than a feature. It just disables the lock screen for those minutes, meaning that the display is switched off. Apps don't send notifications if they are on top, until the few minutes elapse and the lockscreen comes back. What's worse, with double tap to wake, and the fingerprint scanner always working, touching any of those things just wakes the phone up, and without a lock screen, it just goes into the home screen. I switched off the double tap to wake, but can't disable the fingerprint scanner from still working, despite not having a finger print scanned.

The notifications drawer also doesn't quite work as well. Now I'm not sure if my nokia phone is interfering, because its supposed stock android comes with their own super aggressive app killer (evanwell if anyone is interested), I suspect this interferes far more with notifications than it should. In any case, WP after 8.1 did notifications extremely well. I suspect that apps get too much say in how they behave there, whereas WP had a really consistent approach. Biggest annoyance is how slow it is to clear up emails, have to tap this tiny box to expand the email to bring up the action buttons, which leads me to my next point.

I don't know if it's the device, or android, but very often, you find the boxes to register a touch or manipulate things is really poorly optimised. Moving icons on home screens, always feels bad, particularly with a large phone. A lot of apps seem to have tiny controls which don't like registering. This is something that WP just seemed to get right, where you didn't have to be incredibly accurate, yet it somehow got it right more often than not.

The volume controls are idiotic in my opinion. WP, again, eventually got this right, as it wasn't initially. When I have headphones in use, for some reason, it doesn't produce all the volumes at one level, they're still independent as per the 4 controls. So when an email, or notification comes through, it pauses my music or podcast to play a notification sound, but, since my phone speaker is quite loud, I have it set to low, so in headphones, I barely hear it, so the pause is rather annoying. Don't know how to switch off the pausing function, looks like you can't.

So, there aren't really any features that make the platforms stand apart from each other, it makes me think, I can only presume that google actually got worried with WP, which is why they actually put effort into undermining the platform.

A big problem that I have with android phones is that you really need to do your research to figure out what you're getting into. My nokia 8 works fairly well, but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered, and what's worse, it's the same problems as my first foray with android back in 2011; lots of bugs, lack of polish and lack of support with updates.

I try to discern between lack of familiarity and genuinely worse function, and I just consistently come up with worse function. Where I can praise the phone is in its speed. So many apps didn't work well on WP, where they do work properly on android. It's a real shame that WP/W10M is over, it was a great while it lasted though. It'll be my concorde moment; it exits service without there being anything better to replace it.

Last edited:

IdleMind

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I found that having to press ok after entering the PIN was a bit annoying also. I suspect they did this perhaps because sometimes if the screen is unlocked in your pocket you can accidently press the screen, inadvertently entering the wrong PIN. This has never happened to me on my WP, so I don't know. Just trying to find the reasoning behind that. I've been using the facial recognition to unlock, since my WP had Windows Hello, and that worked really well.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Still can't find a decent music player in the seas of the android app store. ??????

That I agree with. I'm using VLC which is good because it's open source and there's no ads or other crappy stuff trying to get you to part with your money. It could look nicer, but works for the most part. Unfortunately, I got used to groove, and was pretty happy with it.

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Definitely hasn't been a downgrade for me. Have owned many Androids and when we compare to our W10M counterparts - the added reliability, consistency, functionality, and speed, gained - makes that which was lost a very minimal compromise (imo). I also like the fact our devices now can be relied upon daily and for months on end (even years). Updates no longer hold our devices hostage and we get to enjoy technology advancement that WP ceased development on quite some time ago. Windows Phone has become spilt milk so even though it still incorporates some good traits at some point in the near future those too will be mopped up due to the lack of advancements.

I agree completely with this. Many of the same complaints are expressed in the CrackBerry/BlackBerry forums. The reality is that we all stick with our preferred OS until the Android/IOS duopoly offered enough features/benefits to leave our preferred OS for the better improved efficiencies..

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Coming from Nokia 1020 and 950XL. Waited for the Nokia 9 Pureview. Installed MS launcher.
What I got was:
PIE Android mess, simple things made difficult
Less camera, no shutter button, no lanyard,
Face unlock, fingerprint unlock, smart lock, none of these really work,
It is a pretty phone, now it is in a case,
Cannot see photos in explorer on PC, one of the reasons that I did not want an iPhone, apparently newer versions of Android also do not act as thumbdrives on PCs,
Fast food apps, that are easier to use on IPad,
Useless bank app,
Got Waze back, a plus, but now I run it on my IPad now,
A limited SMS app, replaced with "Textra,"
I can control my thermostats, cute, it works, who cares,
Sync problems with calendar.

Not happy. If Apple makes a phone with a better camera I will probably go there. All I wanted was a faster 1020.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This might be somewhat pedantic, but nobody who switched thinks it is a downgrade, even those who love WP and hate Android or iPhone. If it was a downgrade, you wouldn't switch. Sure, WP was better in some things, but overall moving to Android or iOS is an upgrade by most metrics.

Our choice of smartphone platform is a package deal. Sure, you can argue that it is a downgrade to not have a dedicated phone button, for example. But that doesn't compensate for the other shortcomings, especially if something like a must-have app is gone.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Coming from Nokia 1020 and 950XL. Waited for the Nokia 9 Pureview. Installed MS launcher.
What I got was:
Cannot see photos in explorer on PC, one of the reasons that I did not want an iPhone, apparently newer versions of Android also do not act as thumbdrives on PCs,
Useless bank app,

Not happy. If Apple makes a phone with a better camera I will probably go there. All I wanted was a faster 1020.

Android can be very complex… many OS versions, running stock Android, OEM “skinned” Android, etc. Hardware can vary as the day is long as well. If this is your first kick at the can trying out Android then in my opinion the Nokia 9 PureView wasn't your best pick (see below)... Nokia is no longer synonymous with WP so anyone thinking their name will hold some value (retaining some hints of WP) are sorely mistaken.

As for the Nokia PureView... From my reads the Nokia 9 Pureview has/had some issues out of the box such as, fingerprint sensor, camera jpeg output, software bugginess, etc. Believe there was a recent software update that greatly improves the fingerprint sensor, some camera aspects and who knows what else. Might try checking to see if an update is available on your device.

As a side note... Android has never kicked me in the gut anywhere close to your recent experience(s) and we're talking over several years/multiple devices. New to the platform and a device that's not quite ready for prime time can be a bad combo.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
What I got was:
Useless bank app,

You sound like you didn’t even give it a chance. You made up your mind before you started.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I cannot disagree. I had expectations of a better Android. My previous Android experiences were mostly rooted custom roms, HP TouchPad, and a Samsung Captivate. Also have LG tablet and Android radio system installed in my pickup truck. None of them are as disapointing as trying to use this Android. That said, I am mostly disappointed in what I thought would be a better camera. And that I cannot review photos in Windows Explorer. I am going to stick with it until someone really brings a better camera.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
My previous Android experiences were mostly rooted custom roms, HP TouchPad, and a Samsung Captivate. Also have LG tablet and Android radio system installed in my pickup truck. None of them are as disapointing as trying to use this Android.
The thing that bothers me most is not being able review photos in Windows Explorer. No thumbnails just JPG icon. Tried all the setting on the phone. My other Android device all show the thumbnails.Also tried several different PCs. PIE ICONs.jpg

Dan Tomas

Apr 21, 2019
Visit site
Try Cloud Player, is very similar to Groove. You can linked it with One Drive, Drop box etc. And has nice Black Ui in settings. I HATE LIGHT UI. Also I replaced Phone with True Caller App for Phone, Contacts and SMS with Dark Ui.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about "downgrade," but very frustrating. I'm not totally unfamiliar with Android, having had a couple of phones that I barely used and two tablets. Never a long term daily driver.

I decided to buy a Blackberry Priv because it has a real keyboard like my long line of beloved Nokia Communicators did. What a mistake. It turns out that these things were never tuned to Android right and battery life is sometimes 8 hours!

One thing I hate is that it is Google. I hate the company, see the James Demore incident, their tracking of every word and deed for their benefit. Are you aware that their EULA's that you agree to let them own your work. Every document, every photo, etc. To my knowledge Microsoft and Apple don't do that, probably because they aren't really an advertising company nor intent on taking over the world.

There are several launchers that mimic the WP look. Square Home was the best. So it was nice to be on familiar turf. Some tiles are even live. And AMOLED actually outdoes the Nokia/MS Glance, an absolute must for me. But I really find the Notifications bar annoying on two counts. First is it's height, the symbols are SO tiny. Hey, Android, a few more pixels, please? Second is having to see what you are getting notified about. Unlike WP, once you swipe up the lockscreen, the tiles show what you've missed. On the Android's scorecard though, is double tapping ....it ALWAYS works.....to the home screen. I HATE the WP swiping the lock screen up, but it has me beaten into submission.

I guess if you stick with all the original Google services, it's not very complicated. But if you use the BB apps, and then add the MS ones like Onedrive, Cortana, and Bing, the complexity and trying to figure out what does what goes exponential.

Connecting the phone to the PC is absurd. I knew from prior experience you have to enable "USB Debugging", WTF is that about? I don't want to debug, I want to CONNECT. Well, it turns out on this Marshmallow Android, you have to first tap on the Settings...Phone....Version 7 times to become a developer which then let's you connect......oops, I mean debug. But wait. Now you have four options! And it defaults back to Charge Only after you disconnect! A good example of why I call programmers "***** geniuses." My long line of Nokia Symbian and WP phones you, as you know, just plug the phone in and Windows installs the correct drivers. Done. Charge AND transfer files all of the time, no problem.

I am going to look into Apple iPhone. As we all know, pro's and con's. Even my Apple-holic friend is honest enough to point out limitations, like a database program he had so much information on, just gone one day. Not not supported, gone. Steve Jobs' famous arrogance lives on. I don't know if there is a Glance like app. And no headphone jack for many of the last iterations. I hate Bluetooth, I have the worst luck with both the hardware and the pairing. To say nothing of charging the battery.

I hate this OS phone duopoly. I tell people my WP is what engineers call "elegant." Logical, easy to use. The look is pure eye candy and conveys information immediately. Now I have two options, waterboarding or the rack. Whichever I choose, pain assured.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't know about "downgrade," but very frustrating. I'm not totally unfamiliar with Android, having had a couple of phones that I barely used and two tablets. Never a long term daily driver.

I decided to buy a Blackberry Priv because it has a real keyboard like my long line of beloved Nokia Communicators did. What a mistake. It turns out that these things were never tuned to Android right and battery life is sometimes 8 hours!

One thing I hate is that it is Google. I hate the company, see the James Demore incident, their tracking of every word and deed for their benefit. Are you aware that their EULA's that you agree to let them own your work. Every document, every photo, etc. To my knowledge Microsoft and Apple don't do that, probably because they aren't really an advertising company nor intent on taking over the world.

There are several launchers that mimic the WP look. Square Home was the best. So it was nice to be on familiar turf. Some tiles are even live. And AMOLED actually outdoes the Nokia/MS Glance, an absolute must for me. But I really find the Notifications bar annoying on two counts. First is it's height, the symbols are SO tiny. Hey, Android, a few more pixels, please? Second is having to see what you are getting notified about. Unlike WP, once you swipe up the lockscreen, the tiles show what you've missed. On the Android's scorecard though, is double tapping ....it ALWAYS works.....to the home screen. I HATE the WP swiping the lock screen up, but it has me beaten into submission.

I guess if you stick with all the original Google services, it's not very complicated. But if you use the BB apps, and then add the MS ones like Onedrive, Cortana, and Bing, the complexity and trying to figure out what does what goes exponential.

Connecting the phone to the PC is absurd. I knew from prior experience you have to enable "USB Debugging", WTF is that about? I don't want to debug, I want to CONNECT. Well, it turns out on this Marshmallow Android, you have to first tap on the Settings...Phone....Version 7 times to become a developer which then let's you connect......oops, I mean debug. But wait. Now you have four options! And it defaults back to Charge Only after you disconnect! A good example of why I call programmers "***** geniuses." My long line of Nokia Symbian and WP phones you, as you know, just plug the phone in and Windows installs the correct drivers. Done. Charge AND transfer files all of the time, no problem.

I am going to look into Apple iPhone. As we all know, pro's and con's. Even my Apple-holic friend is honest enough to point out limitations, like a database program he had so much information on, just gone one day. Not not supported, gone. Steve Jobs' famous arrogance lives on. I don't know if there is a Glance like app. And no headphone jack for many of the last iterations. I hate Bluetooth, I have the worst luck with both the hardware and the pairing. To say nothing of charging the battery.

I hate this OS phone duopoly. I tell people my WP is what engineers call "elegant." Logical, easy to use. The look is pure eye candy and conveys information immediately. Now I have two options, waterboarding or the rack. Whichever I choose, pain assured.

Remember the FB eula's years ago before they had billions of users? The majority do not read them. Then they sacrifice to use their services unknowingly or out of complacency. It sounds critical to some but it is the truth and it happens. The wording can be quite sneaky and if you do not understand big enterprises or infrastructure, or even how things like Google actually operate and work, one can blindly go about it.

I use google services only because I have to. Just like my Microsoft account. There is nobody out there that can do certain services etc like Microsoft and people feel the same about Apple.
I have never used Facebook or any other service of the like there, and probably never will...in my honest opinion that type of stuff is full of traps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium