what exactly happens after W10M end of life in December?

lpj_5

Mar 21, 2019
Visit site
I'm still attached to my Lumia 640, so the news that w10m is coming to an end is concerning me. I know there will no longer be security updates and bug fixes, but where does it leave MS apps, such as outlook and news for example? Will they still sync, and/or will the live tiles still work?

Last edited:

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Things will slowly break, not that they haven't already, but any server side changes won't be tested on the devices, so if it breaks anything, there definitely will not be any update to correct it.

With that said, it's already happening now, try to click on an image when searching with cortana. You'll get a blank screen and you can't do anything.

However, other apps, like skype or email, they may slowly stop working. Third party apps are a different story.

If the deprecation of WP7 is anything to go by, many apps gradually stopped working, not immediately, but over time. Eventually it reached the point of not being all that useful anymore. Your typical offline functions will continue to work, like calls and texts.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If Outlook still works you’ll get emails like I did yesterday from Dropbox telling me to get my stuff out because it’ll be gone in 28 days. Call and SMS features will work and maybe core Windows apps but I wouldn’t bet the farm on it.

fin11

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Just checked Outlook ln my lumia 950 xl and it still works without issues, but I don't use dropbox only OneDrive.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I use the Craigslist app on my 950XL frequently and a few days ago some of the filters stopped working. I guess that's an example of things starting to break. All core MS apps I use are functioning. I don't use Cortana, so no issue there. Some examples of 3rd party apps that still work well are Pandora, myradar, foxnews, awesome tube, mypodcasts, United, flixster, lots of games, accuweather, photoshop express, dropbox, garmin connect if your watch is supported, iheartradio, mobilepdf and ink calendar. Obviously, most of these apps are more limited in functionality than Android or Apple, but they work. Live tiles still work for most of the 3rd party apps I use. The myradar live tlle is especially useful which I have yet to find a widget on Android that does the same. I don't do social media since I have better things to do with my time, so no comments there. For me, W10M actually works really well even with all the traveling I do. Downloading maps on my phone has been especially useful. I know Here maps on Android does the same, but it seems to work better on W10M. Unfortunately, I suspect more 3rd party apps will start to break anytime. After end of support, I'm fairly certain MS core apps will start to break.

lpj_5

Mar 21, 2019
Visit site
By way of third party apps, I only use one, 'Mytube!' as it also works on the Xbox and is (was) heaps better than the official YouTube app there, but seems to have become less reliable recently on both devices. I'm not bothered by social media these days either. For calls, texts and basic camera usage it works as it should (so far), and that's all I need it for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3