Anyone buying a Nokia 9?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I am looking forward to getting a Nokia again!

But I am hearing bad things about the fingreprint reader and slow camera.

Anyone?

Verdict?

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
In screen fingerprint readers, across the board are being panned, so I wouldn't expect it to be any good anyway. With that said;

The bigger problem is, the camera doesn't appear to be blowing anyone away, all the while the bigger consideration for me is criticism that it can take 5-15 seconds to process a photo after taking it. Similarly, the software experience is also found to be somewhat wanting, in that it's not smooth, nor particularly fast.

Reading that makes me think that this phone is a no-go. Also hearing that Nokia is saying that it's a 'limited release' makes me suspicious.

Also, not many places are reviewing it comprehensively, so I get the feeling that nokia haven't issued many, if any, review samples. There was a launch discount of $100 in the US for the first week only, while the phone hasn't been launched elsewhere yet.

All in all, I get the feeling that nokia/hmd want to pump this device out and get rid of it. It appears that they don't want it to get reviewed, because it appears to be not quite the quality it was supposed to be. I suspect that this project has gone over schedule, probably due to problems and they're trying to release it anyway. I am personally now steering clear. I wanted to like it, since I want a top-notch camera, but, I think the detractions are too major to accept.

So I'm remaining really sceptical.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I saw a bunch of reviews and here is my take on it.
If you plan to use the camera as a second device to capture specific pictures which will be heavily edited later and don't mind the 20 second processing per picture then the phone is okay. If you want rapid point and shoot, get a Pixel.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok, thanks for helping me out with that!
You have just made my decision a NO.

Crappy finger printer readers....in 2019? Even my Alcatel and HP Elite are pretty good! From 2017
15 seconds to process???

What were they thinking?

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'll update with some info from some users over on android central (might be better to chime in there too).

Fingerprint sensor isn't great. Camera though, some of the photos do look really nice, I do prefer them over a S10, but the differences are subtle, and you don't get this profound difference. I would say this is basically because the cameras are getting to a point where they're good enough for most shots. The quality is decent and for the most part, if you need to zoom in to blow up pixels, and compare against other cameras, well, the quality is pretty good already isn't it.

With that said, speed improves if the raw format and depth sensing is turned off. If you want a point and shoot, well this is the way to go, as the files appear to be really large if the depth sensing is on.

It's really subjective, and I'm aware that opinions vary. Some things bother some people, other things don't. It also appears that updates are slowly addressing some of the bugs.

At this stage though, I bought a Nokia 8 and don't think I'll change really quick. The Nokia 9 may become a great phone, but I'm starting to get a feel for reading between the lines of corporate speak, so I'm quite certain another model is being planned sooner rather than later.

I hope Nokia listens to some of the criticism of the phone, and corrects a few of the issues, but when any company says that an otherwise mainstream device is 'like a limited edition' it just means that they're not planning on selling a whole lot, and they're not planning to do additional production runs. If people queued up and bought out all the stock immediately, then you'd see that it very quickly wouldn't be all that limited.

A consideration for me is also, I don't know how quick the rollout for 5G will be, but I'm disinclined to go for a premium phone if it's going to be superceded by improved technology relatively soon. I prefer to buy a phone and run it until it's dead.

Last edited:

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I agree. Much as we'd want it to be true, Nokia is no longer the Nokia we knew and could trust. Ditto with Blackberry. I've been tempted to buy a phone from both of these reincarnations to replace my trusted Lumia but.......... No thanks.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Getting a bit more familiar with my Nokia 8, I can only recommend to avoid them. Possibly the entry level phones are acceptable, but any flagship or midrange is basically not supported in the manner that it should be.

The hardware is decent, but where it falls apart is in the support, and extending hardware features beyond the stock apps. One example is the OZO surround sound recording. It's actually quite good, but only available in stock camera app. Want to record just audio, well first you'll have to download a dedicated audio recorder, next the sound quality will be poor because it won't support OZO, so unfortunately the only way to get decent sound recordings is to record video and then separate the sound from the video later.

Similarly with cameras, any of the better features with the cameras are only being supported in the stock camera app. As a result, use the camera in any third party app, all the 'great' camera tech basically gets ignored. This sucks a lot if you go direct to social media. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but suspect that if you record in social media, you basically don't get any camera improvements or audio improvements, meaning if you want that, you have to side load it into the apps.

I doubt Nokia is going to do anything to try to improve these features. They haven't for the life of their older phones (which are now ending support), so I doubt they'll start now. Why am I posting this here? Because if you buy a Nokia 9, you are ultimately paying premium dollars only for its questionable camera app. Any functionality outside that app is not supported and this is important because it doesn't have any remarkable features beyond its camera.

fat8893

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
I might be owning the 9 PureView as an enthusiast device, but I don't really think it could replace my personal favourite of the MS Lumia 950/950 XL as my daily driver and the still capable Lumia 1020 for a much more serious mobile photography.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I have the 9, 12MP is 12MP, no matter how many cameras. No optical zoom not enough pixels for crop zoom it does not hold the focus in action video, example
aircraft taking off. All I wanted was a faster 1020, it is not.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I would only buy it for the Nokia experience, screen and Android one. Camera would be icing on the cake but I like what I saw on the screen review and I like Nokia's build quality/OS experience.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'll get one later in the year for sure. The recent update to the fingerprint scanner and less sharpening of pics in .jepg format has me intrigued. Let's see if HMD will keep up this update pace.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism