Protect your tech:Get an Upsie warranty & save up to 70%
06-06-2019 02:32 PM
75 123
tools
    You have to pay for YouTube Premium. Technically, the Windows apps that do this with a Premium subscription, such as MyTube, are breaking YouTube's ToS. However, Google doesn't seem to care about it. I'm guessing that it's such a low volume that it's not worth chasing. Android apps that do this are not allowed in the Play Store.
    <>
    Last edited by Yue Ling; 04-04-2019 at 08:36 AM.
    04-04-2019 06:44 AM
    @Yue Ling You should edit or delete your post, or it will be done for you by admin. These types of apps are against Google's ToS, and its discussion is strictly prohibited here.

Anyway, I pay for YouTube Premium.
    04-04-2019 07:35 AM
    Now that Facebook, Messenger and Instagram are also all leaving Windows Phone, the number of apps gets ever smaller.
    04-04-2019 07:57 AM
    @Yue Ling You should edit or delete your post, or it will be done for you by admin. These types of apps are against Google's ToS, and its discussion is strictly prohibited here.

Anyway, I pay for YouTube Premium.
    Is it pirated apps?
    04-04-2019 08:37 AM
    Is it pirated apps?
    No, it is not piracy of the apps themselves. The problem is that these apps bypass Google's restrictions on downloading and running in the background. These are features of YouTube Premium, which is a paid service. These apps work around the restrictions, and facilitate it without paying. This is blatantly disregarding YouTube's Terms of Service.

The Windows apps such as MyTube that do it are also breaking the ToS, but for some reason Google doesn't pursue it even though they could. I suppose they figure it's not worth their time. Google doesn't allow these types of apps in the Play Store or in Apple's App Store, but they leave them alone in the Microsoft Store. The Microsoft Store seems to have relatively low usage. Mobile is going away, and desktop users don't use the Store very much.

As I said, this forum doesn't allow discussing workarounds that break ToS. Admins will remove such posts. That is why I suggested removing it yourself before they do it for you, and possibly give you an infraction as well.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-04-2019 05:03 PM
    Fired up our three Windows Phones this evening just to update as it has been a couple of months or more since doing so. It was a pleasure seeing their faces yet literally within seconds of using each the realization why they reside in a drawer became readily apparent. In my opinion MS dumped on the platform before it was fully finessed and it shows, and time isn't doing it any favours now either.

So absolutely I'd miss many apps if we were too switch back to Windows phone/Phone… The majority I depend on have nothing to do with the social aspect. Plus, W10M has never been able to achieve (for me personally) the stability, reliability, consistency, and fluidity, that Android has been delivering for past 4+ years of use. Good times were had w/8.1 but we all know where that ended up.
    Also some unofficial Google apps work sucks on Windows Phone. For example, Metro Drive app required purchasing to download more than 5 files per day. This is a VERY BASIC function but the developer of Metro Drive try to earn money from this. http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...6-356773f80775
    Last edited by Yue Ling; 04-21-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    04-21-2019 12:35 AM
    Also some unofficial Google apps work sucks on Windows Phone. For example, Metro Drive app required purchasing to download more than 5 files per day. This is a VERY BASIC function but the developer of Metro Drive try to earn money from this. http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...6-356773f80775
    Google Drive works great.
    Guytronic and G4Grandad like this.
    04-22-2019 05:56 PM
    No one is switching to Windows phones these days.

My remaining Windows phones - a 32gb Icon and a 32gb 1520 with a 128gb SD card - are basically clumsy MP3 players now. There is very little else they can do these days.
    04-22-2019 10:27 PM
    Google Drive works great.
    I'm actually talking about Metro Drive app which charging for VERY BASIC function like uploading. With Metro Drive, you can only upload 5 files per day. Official is always better.
    04-24-2019 07:00 AM
    I miss BookViser from Windows Phone. There was also another popular ebook reader for Windows Phone, called Freda, which is now on Android, but Bookviser still remains faithful to Windows Phone.
    04-26-2019 10:16 AM
    I'm actually talking about Metro Drive app which charging for VERY BASIC function like uploading. With Metro Drive, you can only upload 5 files per day. Official is always better.
    It’s not an official Google app, there aren’t any. I believe the actual name is G Drive.
    04-26-2019 12:18 PM
    It’s not an official Google app, there aren’t any. I believe the actual name is G Drive.
    k.
    04-27-2019 07:55 AM
    k.
    G drive app only cost .99 cents. People are spoiled and think that $5.00 is too much. People are ignorant about the cost of developing and maintaining software and apps. I think everyone deserves to be paid for their work and no one should think they are "entitled" to anything for free. These are just my opinions, but I always try to pay my own way. When apps, that I use, provides an option to contribute more money to a developer, I do so to encourage them, as best I can, to continue maintenance. The Backgammon app I use on Windows Mobile Phone, just got updated this week and I sent them more money.
    We are still happy Windows Mobile Phone users and will be until they stop functioning.

Best Wishes
    pteranodon likes this.
    05-10-2019 12:28 PM
    I miss BookViser from Windows Phone. There was also another popular ebook reader for Windows Phone, called Freda, which is now on Android, but Bookviser still remains faithful to Windows Phone.
    I have looked at both Freda and Bookviser on my Windows Mobile Phones. I have downloaded both a number of times but I never found a use case for me and ended up deleting them, like most all apps. May I ask you, what exactly are the details of your use case? I'm interested in learning how and when?
    Best Wishes
    05-10-2019 12:40 PM
    No one is switching to Windows phones these days.

My remaining Windows phones - a 32gb Icon and a 32gb 1520 with a 128gb SD card - are basically clumsy MP3 players now. There is very little else they can do these days.
    I don't understand when people post comments like this. Your use case must be very different than mine or maybe your battery died. . Our Windows Mobile Phones function as phones, text, email, photography, and Media consuming apps (Audible, HULU, YouTube, news, podcasts, etc. All our critical apps work just as they always have.
    Best Wishes
    fin11 and anotherBeliever like this.
    05-10-2019 12:57 PM
    I don't understand when people post comments like this. Your use case must be very different than mine or maybe your battery died. . Our Windows Mobile Phones function as phones, text, email, photography, and Media consuming apps (Audible, HULU, YouTube, news, podcasts, etc. All our critical apps work just as they always have.
    Best Wishes
    It's simply an alternative point of view from yours.
    Elky64 likes this.
    05-10-2019 01:49 PM
    It's simply an alternative point of view from yours.
    Alternative point of view, that is the nicest way of saying "you're full of s**t" as I've ever heard. I'm not implying I agree, it's just awesome use of the English language.
    05-11-2019 03:32 PM
    Alternative point of view, that is the nicest way of saying "you're full of s**t" as I've ever heard. I'm not implying I agree, it's just awesome use of the English language.
    No, it's perception.
    On another forum there are a few people who still want a tiny phone with PKB to type out emails and texts all day. Most people would say that is crazy because smartphones are generally used for so much more these days. Differing uses, points of view and perception based on personal experience.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-12-2019 02:13 AM
    I have looked at both Freda and Bookviser on my Windows Mobile Phones. I have downloaded both a number of times but I never found a use case for me and ended up deleting them, like most all apps. May I ask you, what exactly are the details of your use case? I'm interested in learning how and when?
    Best Wishes
    I read books on my phone. In epub format, and those apps let me do that easily. If I'm going to spend all my free time staring at a screen I prefer to read something and possibly learn than just scroll through pages and pages of Facebook/Instagram etc.
    05-13-2019 08:59 AM
    I read books on my phone. In epub format, and those apps let me do that easily. If I'm going to spend all my free time staring at a screen I prefer to read something and possibly learn than just scroll through pages and pages of Facebook/Instagram etc.
    My old eyes can’t handle reading books on a phone. I’m ok for a short time reading forum posts, etc. but I use my iPad Pro for any long term reading.
    Laura Knotek and fatclue_98 like this.
    05-14-2019 06:38 AM
    My old eyes can’t handle reading books on a phone. I’m ok for a short time reading forum posts, etc. but I use my iPad Pro for any long term reading.
    I upgraded my eye wear after my annual optometrist visit, so I'm once again able to read even the smallest fonts on my phone without any eyestrain.
    TgeekB, fatclue_98, raycpl and 1 others like this.
    05-15-2019 02:18 AM
    It was having a Windows Phone (Lumia 620) that really made me love reading on a phone and I still do it to this day.
    05-15-2019 09:56 AM
    It was having a Windows Phone (Lumia 620) that really made me love reading on a phone and I still do it to this day.
    All the power to ya.
    Grampa is sticking with his iPad Pro!
    fatclue_98 and Drael646464 like this.
    05-15-2019 04:21 PM
    All the power to ya.
    Grampa is sticking with his iPad Pro!
    Which one do you have? I have both the 9.7 and 12.9 and to be perfectly honest, the 12.9 is too large for some things like web browsing and such. I don’t think Apple has found a way to scale apps properly for such a large display.
    05-15-2019 06:52 PM
    Which one do you have? I have both the 9.7 and 12.9 and to be perfectly honest, the 12.9 is too large for some things like web browsing and such. I don’t think Apple has found a way to scale apps properly for such a large display.
    I have the 9.7
    I agree the 12.9 is too big for what I use it for. Surfing, reading, etc.
    05-15-2019 06:53 PM
75 123