Galaxy Note 10 Deal: BOGO at Verizon!
06-22-2019 02:27 AM
76 1234
tools
    Black theme throughout android.. doesn't exist. Sigh!!
    05-16-2019 12:11 AM
    All the power to ya.
    Grampa is sticking with his iPad Pro!
    I only ever had an iPad 1. After that I never had a tablet until my current, and old, SP2. It's good that the iPad Pro meets your needs.
    05-17-2019 08:02 AM
    Yes it does, it's coming in Android Q (10), it's already out in beta, and will be officially released in August.
    raycpl likes this.
    05-21-2019 05:30 AM
    I just switched BACK to windows phone with a new lumia 735.
    I can't stand android and not much of a fan of apple either.
    Feels like a relief to be back.

Admittedly i'm not a big social media user so the fact that those kinds of apps will start breaking left and right doesn't matter to me. I pretty much use my phone like an old fashion PDA.
    Contacts, Email, Notes, and novel stand alone apps.
    Drael646464 likes this.
    05-22-2019 01:10 AM
    I just switched BACK to windows phone with a new lumia 735.
    I can't stand android and not much of a fan of apple either.
    Feels like a relief to be back.

Admittedly i'm not a big social media user so the fact that those kinds of apps will start breaking left and right doesn't matter to me. I pretty much use my phone like an old fashion PDA.
    Contacts, Email, Notes, and novel stand alone apps.
    Not sure why those people choosing to stick with WP have this assumption Android/iOS is "social media" driven therefore a primary reason for many using said platforms. This couldn't be further from the truth in my opinion. Awesome one can make WP work for them yet that just indicates to me their needs are very basic in nature.

There's only so much slack Edge (or any other WP browser) can take up and that is a given, plus dedicated apps do and will provide a better experience over many things which are web based. Also there are tons of situations where a browser simply cannot fulfill those need as a dedicated app is a prerequisite simple as that.
    Yue Ling likes this.
    05-22-2019 05:00 AM
    Android Q has a dark theme. :D
    raycpl and J Dubbs like this.
    05-30-2019 07:17 AM
    Android Q has a dark theme. :D
    My phone has a full dark theme.. until I switch on the phone. Haha!!
    05-30-2019 10:55 PM
    Really just my bank's app. And not really. I mean, it's a website, and I'm not really a high transaction individual.

I joined windows mobile late, but there's a lot of third party stuff, like for my fitness band. Plenty of games from the heyday. Navigation etc, and the built-in apps are great. The bonus about joining late, is I'm told early on, they had problems with the OS resetting, or apps freezing, and it's really equally stable as anything on android now.

Bonus effect for me is that I used to be rather old school about app use on my PC, now that I have a lot of windows store stuff, I use them on my PC, and my tablet as well.

I came from android quite intentionally, so I never felt any sense of regret. Android and it's apps are plagued by ads, freemium services, in app purchases. There's even more junk in the store than the windows store.

The whole thing is irritating and deceptive. Sure you can get either properly free apps, or pre-paid apps, but it's sort of like digging for gold. It's basically a research project. If you look at something like games for eg, finding really decent games that have story and aren't play to win? They are all windows desktop ports pretty much. The UI is a mixed bag.

There are things that I like about android. When it's rootable, you can toggle things in the system quite nicely. Like for example, get a cheap flagship with decent battery, and then tweak the cpu settings, to throttle the usually fairly overpowered (these days) cpu and get extra battery life. Add enhancements, or features. Of course you get into changing config files, and so on, and it's sort of a PITA, it's not really designed for that level of flexibility. You can do it, but nobody really wants you to.

However I do use Whatsapp, and I have a feeling things will get sparse after the end of support date. I had a dalliance with BB for a while, and whilst MOST apps will stay on the platform because UWP isn't just mobile, the mobile-centric stuff like messaging services etc, will die, probably in the span of about 2 years. Not that there is a lot anyway. Guess there's still FB messenger, and message that's on desktop, it'll probably remain.

Weird that whatsapp just dropped support for series 40/60 a few years ago, but they are so keen to drop windows mob. Bet there's still more users in WM, that there is old nokia users.

I'm not entirely sure what to go with. I don't like Google one bit. I actually like hard keys. I'm not a giant app user, and I've never actually liked nursing a giant glass screen or smartphones terrible battery lives. 1/3 of me wants to go with a pocofone running lineage, 1/3 a blackberry key1 or key2, and the last 1/3 wants to get a feature phone that I can safely throw at a brick wall and leave the whole mess behind, simplify.

I'm just the sort of user that isn't really catered for. I, like most people, only really have basic app needs. But, unlike most people, I know it: that I don't need a Ferrari to drive at 10kmph down the road carrying a car full of groceries. And, well, IDK how many people are like this, I don't like doing a lot of web stuff when I am out in the world. I like to hear the birds sing, notice the sunshine on my face, give my mind a moment to watch the trees sway.

It's just a tool in my pocket that has a few handy tricks, some of which are genuinely helpful, some of which I could easily live without.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 05-31-2019 at 05:39 AM.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    05-31-2019 05:07 AM
    No, it's perception.
    On another forum there are a few people who still want a tiny phone with PKB to type out emails and texts all day. Most people would say that is crazy because smartphones are generally used for so much more these days. Differing uses, points of view and perception based on personal experience.
    I feel their pain. If I want to consume any media, I'll use a real screen. I don't even message or text much, but it's something you do on a phone and it sucks to have so little options if you don't want a third rate experience when doing so.

Same with the size thing. I fondly remember my BB q5, even my nokia flip phone, and how I could throw that thing in a pocket, barely feel it there, run it for days without charging, and drop it on concrete without a panic attack.

Seems like every central function of a phone is now a secondary function (mobility, communication). And it's primary function is something it's not even good at; media consumption (something a tablet, or PC would be better at). It's this giant cluster of awkward compromises, that everyone else seems to be super chuffed with.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 05-31-2019 at 05:33 AM.
    fin11 likes this.
    05-31-2019 05:18 AM
    I feel their pain. If I want to consume any media, I'll use a real screen. I don't even message or text much, but it's something you do on a phone and it sucks to have so little options if you don't want a third rate experience when doing so.

Same with the size thing. I fondly remember my BB q5, even my nokia flip phone, and how I could throw that thing in a pocket, barely feel it there, run it for days without charging, and drop it on concrete without a panic attack.

Seems like every central function of a phone is now a secondary function (mobility, communication). And it's primary function is something it's not even good at; media consumption (something a tablet, or PC would be better at). It's this giant cluster of awkward compromises, that everyone else seems to be super chuffed with.
    I’m currently using a BlackBerry Key2 LE. PKB, Android and a decent sized screen. Gives me some of the old BlackBerry feel along with a modern ecosystem. Not bad.
    05-31-2019 03:11 PM
    I’m currently using a BlackBerry Key2 LE. PKB, Android and a decent sized screen. Gives me some of the old BlackBerry feel along with a modern ecosystem. Not bad.
    I'm thinking of an s8 active or s7 active, maybe. With a screen protector, it can be resilient, and with some tweaks I should be able to get multi-day battery life. Still bigger than I'd like, but at least I'd have to baby it less (ie it would be genuinely mobile).

I do miss the physical keys, but I just gotta compromise on what I want, because it's not all available in a single product. My link to the past will likely just be BB apps.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 05-31-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    05-31-2019 07:45 PM
    My phone has a full dark theme.. until I switch on the phone. Haha!!
    Win!

Staying on topic though, I am not sure why you'd switch back to Windows Phone from Android and the reason people always mention social media apps (or lack of on Windows Phone now) is because, at least where I am, that's all I see on the phones that people have glued to their face.
    raycpl and J Dubbs like this.
    06-01-2019 08:41 AM
    Win!

Staying on topic though, I am not sure why you'd switch back to Windows Phone from Android and the reason people always mention social media apps (or lack of on Windows Phone now) is because, at least where I am, that's all I see on the phones that people have glued to their face.
    Let’s face it, smartphones are an integral part of most people’s lives now. Yes, for some it’s about social apps and having it “glued to their face”. To others it’s about staying in contact with clients or potential clients. Others it keeps them close with distant relatives. For some it provides medical information that improves their lives. We can’t lump everyone into the same group.
    06-01-2019 09:08 AM
    Let’s face it, smartphones are an integral part of most people’s lives now. Yes, for some it’s about social apps and having it “glued to their face”. To others it’s about staying in contact with clients or potential clients. Others it keeps them close with distant relatives. For some it provides medical information that improves their lives. We can’t lump everyone into the same group.
    It certainly is useful that there is a map, and a bank stuck to the bottom of that giant jar of social media. Because if it was just a tool, and only a tool, wouldn't have taken off.

VR is the same. It'll save lives in medicine, and treat phobias, but it's take off can be attributed to games and p0rn.

It's a funny thing. Mind you, I'm sure half the tools in smartphones could have just been added to feature phones eventually. Now we are at the point of PWAs and HTML5, we seem to be headed back in the direction of all the interesting stuff happening non-locally.
    06-01-2019 09:50 AM
    Most of what you have described is essentially a form of social media or connection or whatever. However, I am intrigued about the medical information part. Can you elaborate on that? I've not seen anyone using their phones in a manner even remotely as interesting as that where I am.
    06-03-2019 08:56 AM
    Most of what you have described is essentially a form of social media or connection or whatever. However, I am intrigued about the medical information part. Can you elaborate on that? I've not seen anyone using their phones in a manner even remotely as interesting as that where I am.
    Wait till you’ve had a heart attack or two and you’ll see how many nice gadgets and apps there are to keep track of your health. One of my PMs is diabetic and has one of those glucose monitors on his arm and he checks his sugar a few times a day. I have a BP cuff which I carry with me to log readings and send to my cardiologist. In this respect I must say Fitbit is superior to the Apple Watch and the Samsung Gear line. The app is also more robust and doesn’t need a separate app for the watch functions.
    fin11, TgeekB and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-03-2019 09:52 AM
    iPhones and iPads are used in healthcare more and more in the U.S. Not only to connect providers but to educate patients, make appointments, order medications and even show test results (think CT scan).

Also, cardiac monitors, glucose monitors and more and more are connecting important devices from patient to provider to provide much needed data for best clinical outcomes.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-03-2019 04:41 PM
    iPhones and iPads are used in healthcare more and more in the U.S. Not only to connect providers but to educate patients, make appointments, order medications and even show test results (think CT scan).

Also, cardiac monitors, glucose monitors and more and more are connecting important devices from patient to provider to provide much needed data for best clinical outcomes.
    That makes sense. And I have seen this in medical TV shows, although I am not sure how realistic that may be. For most of us though, we will just use our devices to consume stuff.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-04-2019 08:09 AM
    Two words: Product placement!!
    I'm a bit cynical on the use of ipads/tabs in hospitals, like those shown on TV/movies. It hasn't happened in my neck of the woods.
    The nearest I see the ipads/tabs being used here is in some coffees hops & restaurants.
    06-04-2019 08:42 AM
    My mom's orthopaedic surgeon who performed her knee replacement surgery uses an iPad. I saw him use it when I took her to see him for follow up after her surgery.
    raycpl, G4Grandad and TgeekB like this.
    06-05-2019 02:58 AM
    Two words: Product placement!!
    I'm a bit cynical on the use of ipads/tabs in hospitals, like those shown on TV/movies. It hasn't happened in my neck of the woods.
    The nearest I see the ipads/tabs being used here is in some coffees hops & restaurants.
    Well, I’m glad you’re not spending a lot of time in hospitals or other medical facilities. That’s a good thing. If you had, you would see them more and more.
    06-05-2019 03:47 PM
    My mom's orthopaedic surgeon who performed her knee replacement surgery uses an iPad. I saw him use it when I took her to see him for follow up after her surgery.
    Are you sure it wasn’t just a paper and pencil and you were confused?
    Laura Knotek and Kevin Rush like this.
    06-05-2019 03:48 PM
    Well, I’m glad you’re not spending a lot of time in hospitals or other medical facilities. That’s a good thing. If you had, you would see them more and more.
    I guess it's where one is staying. I frequent hospitals to accompnay my wife for her scheduled reviews.
    There's a gulf in computerisation here. Public hostitals are always overwhelmed, everything is very much on paper, printed form, record is still kept in physical files.
    In private hospitals, computers are everywhere, ie files, imagery & online database but no iPads/tabs.
    Once a while, the doctor might pull out a handphone to show some related medical graphics. Ya, its usually an iPhone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-05-2019 10:42 PM
    It's a portable way to access a database for medical files, and apple has good service contracts. Pretty simple. Only thing is, they are expensive, and most public hospitals, unlike market research and advertising companies don't have money to burn. I guess in the US tho, everything is private. But that's not the case in most OECD countries, usually it's a mix.
    06-06-2019 01:38 PM
    It's a portable way to access a database for medical files, and apple has good service contracts. Pretty simple. Only thing is, they are expensive, and most public hospitals, unlike market research and advertising companies don't have money to burn. I guess in the US tho, everything is private. But that's not the case in most OECD countries, usually it's a mix.
    I can see that.
    We are spending a bucket load of money on a new EMR system wide that will go live next November. It will include the integration of mobile devices.
    06-06-2019 02:32 PM
76 1234