Protect your tech:Get an Upsie warranty & save up to 70%
06-06-2019 02:32 PM
75 123
tools
    Do you miss *some* apps after switching from popular mobile operating systems like Android to Windows Phone or Windows 10 Mobile, such as popular apps such as official Google Maps, Docs, Drive that only available on Google Play Store? WP is too lack of apps compared to Android, I hope I will get a Android phone soon.
    03-23-2019 01:38 AM
    For sure. When I tried to switch to Windows 10 Mobile for a day for something different a few years ago, I regretted it. I liked the way things looked and the true dark mode, but I missed having an Instagram app that works well and other apps being present but lacking features.

Fortunately, Android has a lot of options. It's all about what you need in a phone, your budget and what you want.
    Elky64, Yue Ling, TgeekB and 1 others like this.
    03-23-2019 11:45 AM
    Drive is well represented for Mobile and Print Now is head and shoulders above Printer Share or any Google Cloud printing app on Android or iOS. And that’s where it ends unfortunately. How much longer any of these 3rd party apps remain functional is anybody’s guess. Fitbit is the only non-Microsoft app I’ve had updated in the last month or so.
    Elky64 likes this.
    03-23-2019 05:28 PM
    Fired up our three Windows Phones this evening just to update as it has been a couple of months or more since doing so. It was a pleasure seeing their faces yet literally within seconds of using each the realization why they reside in a drawer became readily apparent. In my opinion MS dumped on the platform before it was fully finessed and it shows, and time isn't doing it any favours now either.

So absolutely I'd miss many apps if we were too switch back to Windows phone/Phone… The majority I depend on have nothing to do with the social aspect. Plus, W10M has never been able to achieve (for me personally) the stability, reliability, consistency, and fluidity, that Android has been delivering for past 4+ years of use. Good times were had w/8.1 but we all know where that ended up.
    03-23-2019 11:09 PM
    For sure. When I tried to switch to Windows 10 Mobile for a day for something different a few years ago, I regretted it. I liked the way things looked and the true dark mode, but I missed having an Instagram app that works well and other apps being present but lacking features.

Fortunately, Android has a lot of options. It's all about what you need in a phone, your budget and what you want.
    I also regret for WP too. Microsoft Store is too lack of apps compared to Google Play Store. :(
    libra89 and Elky64 like this.
    03-24-2019 07:08 AM
    For me it was actually iOS where I am missing the most, like the ability to download files from OneDrive and open them in a random app. Windows 10 Mobile worked well for, the only app it was lacking for me was the TruPhone VOIP app (which doesn't exist any more).

My requirements are perhaps simple. I need an email program, a calendar and address book that work with CALDAV and CARDDAV, a Web browser, an Audible and Kindle client and a music player and podcast program and a chess program. I don't care about Instagram (whatever that is).

Google's music player is almost useless...
    Kevin Rush and aximtreo like this.
    03-24-2019 10:03 AM
    For me it was actually iOS where I am missing the most, like the ability to download files from OneDrive and open them in a random app. Windows 10 Mobile worked well for, the only app it was lacking for me was the TruPhone VOIP app (which doesn't exist any more).

My requirements are perhaps simple. I need an email program, a calendar and address book that work with CALDAV and CARDDAV, a Web browser, an Audible and Kindle client and a music player and podcast program and a chess program. I don't care about Instagram (whatever that is).

You mentioned "web browser". Believe if that experience alone was much better we might have been inclined to use our present WP devices, as stripped down communication devices, more often. But imo it has never even been close to what is being delivered on Android, or iOS.

Last night I didn't even bother to run through the apps to see which ones may be defunct as just using the Store to update them was enough to say "nope, tis the same old experience"... slow, unpredictable, and inconsistent.
    Last edited by Elky64; 03-24-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    TgeekB and libra89 like this.
    03-24-2019 11:34 AM
    13 of my apps on Windows Mobile Phone have received updates since March 13, 2019. Six of them are Microsoft apps. Admittedly, they are all likely maintenance updates, but nonetheless updates. This has been my experience all along.

To me, the Windows Mobile phone is absolutely my preferred mobile experience and I show my appreciation and "vote" by using it everyday as my daily driver. Every device operating system has its pro and con, I choose Windows Mobile Phones.

Microsoft is a business and businesses operate on numbers/metrics. If you prefer something and don't use it, then you are voting against it.

To each their own, but I know what I like and will support it as long as I like it.

Best wishes.
    pteranodon, fin11, mtf1380 and 3 others like this.
    03-24-2019 02:40 PM
    I fire up my Idol 4s once in a while but, as Elky said, it doesn’t last long. It just can’t do what I need it to do.
    libra89 and Elky64 like this.
    03-24-2019 02:48 PM
    I have an Android tablet which I mainly use for watching / listening to catch up TV and radio but also serves to fill the app gap such a Google Maps which is usually more up to date when looking for new build housing estates.
    03-24-2019 04:19 PM
    No, I have not used windows phone
    03-24-2019 11:52 PM

You can download OneDrive for iOS.
    03-25-2019 06:47 AM
    Why useless?
    03-25-2019 06:48 AM
    You can download OneDrive for iOS.
    Yes. But you cannot make another app open files you find there. I have a few comic book files and I have a comic book reader, but there is no way to make the comic book reader access the files I have on OneDrive.

On Android and Windows Mobile (and the old BlackBerry OS) I could simply open any file with any app. With iOS I have to upload files to specific apps from iTunes.
    03-25-2019 08:18 AM
    Why useless?
    Google Play Music keeps forgetting the order of songs in play lists and just plays them randomly.
    03-25-2019 08:18 AM
    Yes. But you cannot make another app open files you find there. I have a few comic book files and I have a comic book reader, but there is no way to make the comic book reader access the files I have on OneDrive.

On Android and Windows Mobile (and the old BlackBerry OS) I could simply open any file with any app. With iOS I have to upload files to specific apps from iTunes.
    Technically that’s not 100% accurate. There is a quasi-file manager on iOS for iPad where you can access various cloud storages and the option to open files in other apps via the share button. The iPhone is still crippled this way and doesn’t have the excellent keyboard iPads have.
    libra89 likes this.
    03-25-2019 04:19 PM
    Google Play Music keeps forgetting the order of songs in play lists and just plays them randomly.
    On what device?
    I use it on my Android devices and it works quite well.
    pteranodon likes this.
    03-25-2019 04:32 PM
    Technically that’s not 100% accurate. There is a quasi-file manager on iOS for iPad where you can access various cloud storages and the option to open files in other apps via the share button. The iPhone is still crippled this way and doesn’t have the excellent keyboard iPads have.
    I never did figure out how to open my comic books with my comic book reader in iOS other than by uploading them to the comic book reader via iTunes.
    03-26-2019 08:48 AM
    On what device?
    I use it on my Android devices and it works quite well.
    I have a Samsung Galaxy A4 (I think) and a Planet Gemini PDA. On both (and all previous Android devices I had) Google Play Music simply jumps to a random music file rather than follow the playlist.
    03-26-2019 08:50 AM

Your comic book files in PDF or DOC? For PDF, download a PDF reader.
    03-27-2019 06:58 AM
    Your comic book files in PDF or DOC? For PDF, download a PDF reader.
    My comic book files are in comic book format. I have a comic book reader app. It opens comic book files, but I have to upload them to the comic book app in iTunes. I could not figure out how to make it open files I had stored on OneDrive.
    03-28-2019 02:32 AM
    myTube! keeps playing my playlist no matter what else I do with my HP Elite x3, without advertisements. I wonder if there can exist a better official or third party YouTube application.
    Official YouTube app is better and also have the nee community feature. Official one always receiving latest features.
    04-03-2019 11:04 AM
    In many ways the official one must be superior. But can it keep playing while you use other apps or the display is off? Because this is an important feature for me.
    Try it on Android and see.
    04-04-2019 12:42 AM
    On Windows Phone I can download and save videos from YouTube to watch whenever I choose. Can that be done on Android? I've never found a way.
    04-04-2019 04:40 AM
    On Windows Phone I can download and save videos from YouTube to watch whenever I choose. Can that be done on Android? I've never found a way.
    You have to pay for YouTube Premium. Technically, the Windows apps that do this without a Premium subscription, such as MyTube, are breaking YouTube's ToS. However, Google doesn't seem to care about it. I'm guessing that it's such a low volume that it's not worth chasing. Android apps that do this are not allowed in the Play Store.
    Last edited by tgp; 04-11-2019 at 05:11 PM.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-04-2019 05:12 AM
75 123