How to install Android apps in Windows 10 Phone

Davein757

Aug 1, 2019
Visit site
I'm really dreading being forced to change to the lesser of two evils, either Andoid or overpriced Apple. I refuse to spend $1000 on a stupid cell phone: that is total insanity. But, experience with the cheap Androids are annoying as heck and I can't even keep them from constantly vibrating every five seconds.
Not sure what the most Windows-like phone is that's out there.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
"I refuse to spend $1000 on a stupid cell phone"

No one says you have to. There are lots of choices.

Besides, they are WAY more than a "stupid cell phone". They are handheld computers with more power than a Windows laptop from 10 years ago.

J Dubbs

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm really dreading being forced to change to the lesser of two evils, either Andoid or overpriced Apple. I refuse to spend $1000 on a stupid cell phone: that is total insanity. But, experience with the cheap Androids are annoying as heck and I can't even keep them from constantly vibrating every five seconds.
Not sure what the most Windows-like phone is that's out there.

I went from windows phone to an LG Thrive that was running pure Android, then went to a Moto X Pure Edition that was also running pure Android, and have now settled on Google Pixels which run strictly pure Android. Pixels get 3 years of monthly security updates, and 3 os upgrades. I'm using a 2016 Pixel running flagship hardware for it's day (which is still respectable now) that I only paid $325 for brand new, and it's still getting one more security update and is running Android 10 which the $1500 loaded Samsung note 10+ isn't even getting this year........ and it's a great running/functioning reliable flagship caliber phone with still one of the best cameras around.

An all around great phone for $325. There are plenty of good, affordable phones out there that aren't windows if you keep an open mind. I prefer pure Android because it's a cleaner experience like windows phones, but some folks will love all the bells and whistles of other manufacturers.

Also on phones like the pixel you can get live wallpapers which are just as, if not nicer looking, than the live tiles. And you can get just as much info on the screen as well.

There's really not a whole lot to miss about windows mobile ;-)

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Ya was all hype. If Apple or Google wanted to play that game they could do the same thing. One of those "what was Microsoft thinking exactly" moments. I mean did they really think they could get away with that? Really cool idea but did not last long.

So, so many of those moments over the years. They start things and then withdraw. For us, buying Nokia and then abandoning a $7 B...b...b...billion dollar investment in a couple of years is the poster child for MS and their whipsaw decisions. Add to those, the failure to fully commit to projects that when they die, oh well. Again, WP. They needed advertising programs and training of the Apple/Andoid fanboys in the phone stores of America. Spend another $1B, in for a penny, in for a pound.

Constant changing of terminology and "apps." From Live to Skydrive to Onedrive. Yet, if you look at your Onedrive URL, what does it say? Live. BTW, MS had to change Skydrive to Onedrive because they lost a lawsuit in international court. Seems some little British company owned the name. Oops. How many dollars went to the lawyers that approved the Skydrive (much better name) name?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
They needed advertising programs and training of the Apple/Andoid fanboys in the phone stores of America.

The market share of WP in the US was higher than the worldwide market share, but it wasn't nearly as high as some countries in Europe and other places. I doubt that the sales people in American phone stores made much of a difference overall.

Also, a phone salesperson primarily cares about customer satisfaction, meaning they care that the customer won't be returning their phone. Ask any salesperson whose store carried WP, and they'll tell you that WP's return rate was high. That's not the salesperson's fault.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
So, so many of those moments over the years. They start things and then withdraw. For us, buying Nokia and then abandoning a $7 B...b...b...billion dollar investment in a couple of years is the poster child for MS and their whipsaw decisions. Add to those, the failure to fully commit to projects that when they die, oh well. Again, WP. They needed advertising programs and training of the Apple/Andoid fanboys in the phone stores of America. Spend another $1B, in for a penny, in for a pound.

Constant changing of terminology and "apps." From Live to Skydrive to Onedrive. Yet, if you look at your Onedrive URL, what does it say? Live. BTW, MS had to change Skydrive to Onedrive because they lost a lawsuit in international court. Seems some little British company owned the name. Oops. How many dollars went to the lawyers that approved the Skydrive (much better name) name?
Yeah when I think about stuff like that I just keep trying to see the positives and move on ...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Also, a phone salesperson primarily cares about customer satisfaction
I have a lovely, one-owner bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you. Ask any sales​person and they'll all tell you the same thing - it's all about the Benjamins.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I have a lovely, one-owner bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you. Ask any sales​person and they'll all tell you the same thing - it's all about the Benjamins.
A good salesman is always bringing home the bacon. I'd go so far as to say an honest salesman is the one who makes sure you're happy...in any case a lot of the "generations" today are both hard to please and "new school". Microsoft is for old farts lol, right?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
A good salesman is always bringing home the bacon. I'd go so far as to say an honest salesman is the one who makes sure your happy...in any case a lot of the "generations" today are both hard to please and "new school". Microsoft is for old farts lol, right?
As long as commissions and spiffs are part and parcel of being a salesperson, honesty will remain a pipe dream.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@fatclue_98
I am about to get me some more WoA on my 950 XL soon. Was reading some of their latest github commits. More USB C functionality on the way...I found some more interesting (well, to me interesting) firmware tidbits too that I was not aware of.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Yup, and customer satisfaction = Benjamins. They don't like to sell phones which are going to be returned, because that means less $$$$$. Windows phones had a higher return rate, so of course they're going to discourage sales. Who wouldn't?

It's like anything else. Microsoft, Google, Apple, they don't care about being nice or about being a good employer or about helping their customers. They care about one thing: $$$$$$. However, being nice and being a good employer and helping their customers turns into $$$$$. That's why they do it.

I stand by my statement: a phone salesperson primarily cares about customer satisfaction. He cares because that turns into $$$$$.

A good salesman is always bringing home the bacon. I'd go so far as to say an honest salesman is the one who makes sure you're happy...in any case a lot of the "generations" today are both hard to please and "new school".

Good grief, you guys dispute me, and in doing so you solidify my points and back them up! :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa