How to install Android apps in Windows 10 Phone

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Is there a way to install Android/IOS apps in Blu Win hd LTE Windows 10?
There are several firmware images for the 640 and 930 that have the astoria library and other files that allow certain Android apps to run, but it is not worth it to run pre-Nougat or possibly Nougat apps even if they are on a Windows device. Unless you are doing it just to see if you can do it or for some other reason. For the Blu phones with Windows there is no known way.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Project Islandwood was created for that purpose but it never went anywhere except for the bloated abortion we knew as Facebook.

Which ironically, is now no longer going to be supported on Windows Phone.

Windows Phones only run Windows Phone apps. If your favourite app is on iOS or Android then you need an iPhone or Android device to use it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Which ironically, is now no longer going to be supported on Windows Phone.

Windows Phones only run Windows Phone apps. If your favourite app is on iOS or Android then you need an iPhone or Android device to use it.
Ya was all hype. If Apple or Google wanted to play that game they could do the same thing. One of those "what was Microsoft thinking exactly" moments. I mean did they really think they could get away with that? Really cool idea but did not last long.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Ya was all hype. If Apple or Google wanted to play that game they could do the same thing. One of those "what was Microsoft thinking exactly" moments. I mean did they really think they could get away with that? Really cool idea but did not last long.

Sadly, MS seem to confuse trying with actually suceeding way too much.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Sadly, MS seem to confuse trying with actually suceeding way too much.
I don't blame them for trying. I know what you are saying. Their philosophy has changed a lot since Satya took over. Maybe they need to be more deligent in how they weigh the costs of what they learn from trying something if they fail compared to the rewards on it if they succeed. That and the cost of RnD on stuff like that to keep it a float. We can only really hypothesize about what they were really doing.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't blame them for trying. I know what you are saying. Their philosophy has changed a lot since Satya took over. Maybe they need to be more deligent in how they weigh the costs of what they learn from trying something if they fail compared to the rewards on it if they succeed. That and the cost of RnD on stuff like that to keep it a float. We can only really hypothesize about what they were really doing.

You could argue that all their hardware failures and poor decisions actually helped them become a trillion dollar company.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Download the APK Deployment app.
Run the app on your Windows 10 PC.
Enable Developer Mode and Device discovery on your Windows 10 Mobile Device.
Connect your phone to PC using USB. Pair the app.
You can now simply deploy the APK to your Windows Phone.

Except the Windows Phone won't run it and you didn't post a link to this APK Deployment app you mention.

Windows Phones can't run Android apps. End of story. If they could, they wouldn't have died.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Use windows store apps. All the big stuff like FB etc is there (the main FB app is dumb though, use an alternative FB app). Only things missing are smarthome apps and banking apps. Unfortunately, PWA is only partially supported (no notifications), so as those grow, windows apps will shrink, leaving win10m users with no notifications for those apps (like twitter currently is). But currently, I get by fine on a windows phone still. Especially because the audio is high def, and the camera is still good by modern standards on the last nokias.

Most people use 4-6 apps regularly, and apart from a banking app, generally, I bet it's on the windows store.

However, all that said, there are smart things supported by windows 10 mobile. If you choose the devices for your phone. Same with VPNs.

Android apps are overrated IMO. Lots of ad filled, low quality stuff. 3/4 of them could be culled and nothing would be lost. iOS apps are pretty good, but the OS itself is IMO dumb. Basically, pick your poison.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Yeah it's pretty hard to claim MSFT failed at anything when they hover around the worlds biggest company in valuation, recently above amazon, apple and google. Their game centric and cloud centric model is wildly successful.

Personally, I feel like everything they did in Windows 10, will inform them in windows lite/core. Eventually, they'll return to mobile, and lets be honest: smartphones are 'post peak'. The only one still making gains is apple, and that'll end real soon. It's actually not a good time to invest in mobile, unless you have a category-breaking 'next thing'. They got out at a good time.

VR and AR are far more obvious as 'next things'. And MSFT is picking up there, with a decent minority market share of VR in mixed reality headsets, and hololens in the works.

I could actually see a tiny voice operated mobile device AI ala the movie 'her' being a thing, and I think MSFT has a shot at something like that with their acquisitions. For busy people, it might be easier to talk to someone than fiddle with a screen. If you could then hook that up with some glasses FF AR for visuals, it'd make a tidy package compared to a smartphone; handsfree when it needs to be, bigger display when it needs to be.

Either way, when new forms of devices present themselves, MSFT might be in a good position by then to re enter. Whether it's via AR or AI. In the meantime, it's groundwork, groundwork that 'sitting pretty' competition might be a bit more lax about.

Apple has some amazing AI acquisitions, and yet they seem to be doing nothing but boring phone stuff. I wonder if they are planning a shock announcement or asleep at the wheel. Google seems to be on a track: IoT, and cloud based AI. But I wonder if that market will really grow like they expect it too.

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it's pretty hard to claim MSFT failed at anything when they hover around the worlds biggest company in valuation, recently above amazon, apple and google. Their game centric and cloud centric model is wildly successful.

Personally, I feel like everything they did in Windows 10, will inform them in windows lite/core. Eventually, they'll return to mobile, and lets be honest: smartphones are 'post peak'. The only one still making gains is apple, and that'll end real soon. It's actually not a good time to invest in mobile, unless you have a category-breaking 'next thing'. They got out at a good time.

VR and AR are far more obvious as 'next things'. And MSFT is picking up there, with a decent minority market share of VR in mixed reality headsets, and hololens in the works.

I could actually see a tiny voice operated mobile device AI ala the movie 'her' being a thing, and I think MSFT has a shot at something like that with their acquisitions. For busy people, it might be easier to talk to someone than fiddle with a screen. If you could then hook that up with some glasses FF AR for visuals, it'd make a tidy package compared to a smartphone; handsfree when it needs to be, bigger display when it needs to be.

Either way, when new forms of devices present themselves, MSFT might be in a good position by then to re enter. Whether it's via AR or AI. In the meantime, it's groundwork, groundwork that 'sitting pretty' competition might be a bit more lax about.

Apple has some amazing AI acquisitions, and yet they seem to be doing nothing but boring phone stuff. I wonder if they are planning a shock announcement or asleep at the wheel. Google seems to be on a track: IoT, and cloud based AI. But I wonder if that market will really grow like they expect it too.

I would just be happy with a Microsoft Mobile branded Android phone, running a forked version of Android created specifically by MS. It will never happen though. Although a custom Android ROM could also probably do the job, if I spent enough time cooking it.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I would just be happy with a Microsoft Mobile branded Android phone, running a forked version of Android created specifically by MS. It will never happen though. Although a custom Android ROM could also probably do the job, if I spent enough time cooking it.

Yeah, that would be nice. MSFT is friendly with amazon, they could use the amazon store. Like all the partnerships they would need to make it work without google are there.

I'm going to have to end up doing something like this myself, currently on a lumia 950, that STILL has outstanding photo quality (low noise) next to present day midrange because the support period is running out and I don't really feel like the small chance of the store ceasing to work, or the set photo upload be depreciated.

Current plan is to get a pocofone f1, install lineage and microG (because bloody everything needs play services), add microsoft apps, cortana and blackberry apps ripped from bb phones (like the hub), add ported pixel camera app for a degoogled phone with a good camera, and less of an android feel (hub is great but you have to tweek with an extra app it to get txts to go on, like on the old BBs).

Bit of a business though, all to get what I want. Like would be real nice if it simply existed. And the annoying this is that even with an open source version of android, cortana still won't be 'baked in'. :/

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that would be nice. MSFT is friendly with amazon, they could use the amazon store. Like all the partnerships they would need to make it work without google are there.

I'm going to have to end up doing something like this myself, currently on a lumia 950, that STILL has outstanding photo quality (low noise) next to present day midrange because the support period is running out and I don't really feel like the small chance of the store ceasing to work, or the set photo upload be depreciated.

Current plan is to get a pocofone f1, install lineage and microG (because bloody everything needs play services), add microsoft apps, cortana and blackberry apps ripped from bb phones (like the hub), add ported pixel camera app for a degoogled phone with a good camera, and less of an android feel (hub is great but you have to tweek with an extra app it to get txts to go on, like on the old BBs).

Bit of a business though, all to get what I want. Like would be real nice if it simply existed. And the annoying this is that even with an open source version of android, cortana still won't be 'baked in'. :/

I went for a Xiaomi phone with MS apps. Lightweight and no bloat. It reminds me somewhat of Windows Phone.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It's almost cheating with xaomi, because they mostly profit from apps and services in china, rather than the hardware. I've got a mi band 2, that'll I'll probably update to a 3 if I get an android phone, and also a mibox.

That's what I'm hoping for too, a clean, modified android experience, that's less google, and more me.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3