Maps app on W10M does not work at all - how do you reset the app?

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
As the title says. The maps app simply does not work on my Lumia 950 and hasn't for a year or more. Attempting to go to it causes a crash and dumps me back to the start screen. I can get further if loading the maps app via a cortana/search link, but ultimately the app will still crash every time.

I've noticed that in settings>apps>apps & features some apps have an "advanced options" setting to tap when selected - one of those options allows you to reset the app. This option is greyed out in the maps app.

I have several offline maps downloaded to an sd card - I haven't removed these yet but the phone is still updating & checking for updates these (last update 21st June).

I'd like to fix this before W10M becomes unsupported. Obviously a full reset of the phone is not work it as most of the 400+ apps I have installed have been removed from the store so I wouldn't be able to get them back with a reset.

Any suggestions before I contact Microsoft for assistance?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
you can't uninstall Maps? I get the option to do so.

I would also delete offline maps. I'm still doing this today (vacation) and putting more maps.

Maybe your SD is damaged? try moving the offline maps location... or even moving where the app is installed from main to sd or sd to main. Usually I store apps on main memory and extra files go to SD

J Dubbs

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
As the title says. The maps app simply does not work on my Lumia 950 and hasn't for a year or more. Attempting to go to it causes a crash and dumps me back to the start screen. I can get further if loading the maps app via a cortana/search link, but ultimately the app will still crash every time.

I've noticed that in settings>apps>apps & features some apps have an "advanced options" setting to tap when selected - one of those options allows you to reset the app. This option is greyed out in the maps app.

I have several offline maps downloaded to an sd card - I haven't removed these yet but the phone is still updating & checking for updates these (last update 21st June).

I'd like to fix this before W10M becomes unsupported. Obviously a full reset of the phone is not work it as most of the 400+ apps I have installed have been removed from the store so I wouldn't be able to get them back with a reset.

Any suggestions before I contact Microsoft for assistance?

Yep I'd put the offline maps on the phone storage along with the maps app. It's always a good idea to keep apps and their associated files together. I believe my wife had problems similar to yours with her Windows 10 phone and the fix was to put the maps on the phone.

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately the above hasn't worked. Deleting all the downloaded maps, changing the download location to internal storage, removing the SD card & rebooting still leave me with an unusable maps app with no way to reset or uninstall it.

This is what I'm getting:

wp_ss_20190820_0047.jpg

The option to uninstall is greyed out and does not do anything. If I go into the advanced settings for maps, I the reset option is also greyed out and does nothing. I'm therefore stuck.

Any thoughts before I try Microsoft support?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Mine is like that too, have you tried to uninstall from the app list, swipe left from the start screen? Find Maps then long press it? The uninstall shows up selectable for me there but I don't want to press it!

And the date i have for the Maps app like you have shown above is 2019/05/15

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3