Telegram Messenger is a good alternative to WA

950XLFan

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
I have abandoned WhatsApp in preparation for its withdrawal on Dec 31 and have moved to Telegram Messenger and it works really well on my 950XL and on my wifes old Nokia Lumia 920 (yes she is still using it and refuses to change even to a spare 930 I have in a drawer)
What I really like is that it has a Web based version which allows you to use it without being dependant on any App although if you install the App as well it does enable notifications
To register and use Telegram on a Windows phone, all you need to do is supply an email address and your phone number and that's it, the App is available in the store in any case and works perfectly even on my wifes old Nokia 920
I am quite hopeful that this will extend the life of our phones for some long time yet, Microsofts Group Me is fully functional on anything above WP8.1 and Viber seems to work OK too, but Telegram seems the best option for me
There is a Telegram Desktop app too just like WA

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Could be a very good alternative, but the problem is that not so people as WhatsApp uses it as their messaging app. In fact, if I would try to use it, I would fin that I don't have about the 75% of my WhatsApp contacts in that platform.

So, I think it depends on the people that you want to talk. In my case, is not an alternative.

I'm very sad to be forced to change my WP in december… :unhappysweat:
Please, Microsoft, do something!

950XLFan

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
I'm very sad to be forced to change my WP in december… :unhappysweat:
Please, Microsoft, do something!
I am genuinely sad about this because it really is the end this time :-( I have been using Windows powered mobile devices for many many years right from the start both personally and supplied by my employer, Windows CE, Windows mobile, pocket PC and then Windows phone in all of its versions
My 950XL is a great phone and I am completely happy with it but as time passes (who knows how long) I will be forced to abandon the platform forever :-( ahh well that's just the way it goes :-(
PS I only use WhatsApp to communicate with my wife and two sons and they have all installed Telegram which has all the features (and more) that WhatsApp has, we have created a group and all is well, maybe I can squeeze another couple of years out of my Windows phone who knows? the great thing is that a used 950XL is so inexpensive now that if I can keep it working for me, its very cheap to replace if I should break it, good camera too :)

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
I am genuinely sad about this because it really is the end this time :-( I have been using Windows powered mobile devices for many many years right from the start both personally and supplied by my employer, Windows CE, Windows mobile, pocket PC and then Windows phone in all of its versions
My 950XL is a great phone and I am completely happy with it but as time passes (who knows how long) I will be forced to abandon the platform forever :-( ahh well that's just the way it goes :-(
PS I only use WhatsApp to communicate with my wife and two sons and they have all installed Telegram which has all the features (and more) that WhatsApp has, we have created a group and all is well, maybe I can squeeze another couple of years out of my Windows phone who knows? the great thing is that a used 950XL is so inexpensive now that if I can keep it working for me, its very cheap to replace if I should break it, good camera too :)

Yes, it's really sad. Who knows? I keep the hope on Microsoft launching a new Windows OS based mobile, after the Surface Duo, if they reach a good base of apps and users with ir, something like that.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Telegram thankfully will still work but it sadly has no end-to-end encryption for group chats (only for one on one which are called secret chats), so personally for me it cannot solely replace whatsapp. Their non end-to-end encryption is badly implemented according to various crypto expert sources. I wish we also had Signal on WP, that would be perfect next to Telegram.
Not sure how good Viber's encryption is. I read on Reddit it did somewhat recently got end-to-end but the details about it seem vague which might be a bad sign, but perhaps someone else here knows more about this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077