Congratulations Microsoft! I switched.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Iphones are great but also expensive as fu*ck if you want a good camera and screen etc. ;)

Not really. You just have to know how to shop around.

I am still using an 8 plus. Cost me $750 for the 256GB version, when it was new 2 years ago. Has a great camera and screen. Both are better than the latest iPhone 11. Certainly WAY better than my old Lumia Icon and 1520, which I still have. They are toys by comparison.

Hint: don't buy it from Apple. There are MUCH better deals to be had elsewhere. Apple retail price was $950 (plus tax) at the time I bought mine.

Last edited:

Renoktation

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site

I am still using an 8 plus. Cost me $750 for the 256GB version, when it was new 2 years ago. Has a great camera and screen. Both are better than the latest iPhone 11. Certainly WAY better than my old Lumia Icon and 1520, which I still have. They are toys by comparison.

I can already see a number of apps and latest features first arriving on Android.

This applies even to Microsoft apps and services. Take Microsoft launcher as an example.

It seems that after WP, iPhone has stepped in to play the role of a punching bag! And I am not unhappy 😁

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site

I am still using an 8 plus. Cost me $750 for the 256GB version, when it was new 2 years ago. Has a great camera and screen. Both are better than the latest iPhone 11. Certainly WAY better than my old Lumia Icon and 1520, which I still have. They are toys by comparison
, I still think it is expensive (maybe not for the storage but personally I would not use that). For phones I want something mid-segment priced (200-300) but with a good camera and decent update support. There are iPhones in that segment but generally the cameras lack (compared to 950 XL) and update support will be short.

fat8893

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Today, the platform is doomed, the store is on life support, products are cancelled on a daily basis and it all seems like the Titanic is about to sink from consumer's perspective. New products like Surface Pro X has got a very bad start & it shows that the company has not learnt from it's mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxnNScoJ02E

But instead of sinking with this ship, I have decided to switch. Already placed an order for a Nokia smartphone running Android One. I tried to stick as long as possible but I think it is time now with less than 20 days left for official support to end, WhatsApp will be going too, who knows, people app may stop working.

This is a message to all the WP fans. Make the switch. Hope to see you all on Android Central.

Make the switch? Sorry, not gonna happen, former Android user here. Since I left Android for Windows 10 Mobile for more than three years now, I see no reason to go back to it at the moment. I'll keep on using my current Lumia 950 XL as my daily driver anyway.

If I would have an Android device, it would be purely as a mobile entertainment device, that's about it. No single kind of communication whatsoever (SMS, call, email, the lot) in Android, that's a big NO-NO!

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Make the switch? Sorry, not gonna happen, former Android user here. Since I left Android for Windows 10 Mobile for more than three years now, I see no reason to go back to it at the moment. I'll keep on using my current Lumia 950 XL as my daily driver anyway.

If I would have an Android device, it would be purely as a mobile entertainment device, that's about it. No single kind of communication whatsoever (SMS, call, email, the lot) in Android, that's a big NO-NO!

But even Microsoft itself doesn't support your loyalty. Dropping even more Windows 10 Mobile support as we speak...

As this pace, you'll need to buy paper and pen with a book of stamps...

fat8893

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
But even Microsoft itself doesn't support your loyalty. Dropping even more Windows 10 Mobile support as we speak...

As this pace, you'll need to buy paper and pen with a book of stamps...

Makes me wonder on why there are people out there who are still using long and outdated OS like Symbian or BlackBerry 10. They don't do that for nothing, right?

Just because Microsoft dropped the support doesn't mean that there won't be any community that care about the OS.

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Makes me wonder on why there are people out there who are still using long and outdated OS like Symbian or BlackBerry 10. They don't do that for nothing, right?

Just because Microsoft dropped the support doesn't mean that there won't be any community that care about the OS.

BB10 is dead in the water and goes official EOL in 20 days. Not sure how long their backend servers will keep running after that...

It’s easy to keep using a failed OS until it loses basic support from it’s owner and primary developer. Things will break on the hardware and software that will not ever be fixed. What good is any device that loses even it’s remaining functionality?

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
It’s easy to keep using a failed OS until it loses basic support from it’s owner and primary developer. Things will break on the hardware and software that will not ever be fixed. What good is any device that loses even it’s remaining functionality?
, yeah but lets be honest; if you don't use social media much on your phone and are not a phone power user how many critical features do android or iOS have that WP does not? With my 950 xl I can still do all the feature phone stuff, have an incredible camera, have an incredible display & snappy performance & good speakers, have incredible note & inking apps (lives tiles for various notes is amazing imo), very good reddit & youtube apps, ok browser and have some time killer games & Netflix (which both I almost never use on a phone actually).
That is still a lot of strong points for a dead OS. The only potential gamebreaker is no whatsapp (but there is still telegram) and eventually security updates (but WP is very secure and a tiny target now) so I think I will replace my phone sooner because of battery issues or such by that time.

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
, yeah but lets be honest; if you don't use social media much on your phone and are not a phone power user how many critical features do android or iOS have that WP does not? With my 950 xl I can still do all the feature phone stuff, have an incredible camera, have an incredible display & snappy performance & good speakers, have incredible note & inking apps (lives tiles for various notes is amazing imo), very good reddit & youtube apps, ok browser and have some time killer games & Netflix (which both I almost never use on a phone actually).
That is still a lot of strong points for a dead OS. The only potential gamebreaker is no whatsapp (but there is still telegram) and eventually security updates (but WP is very secure and a tiny target now) so I think I will replace my phone sooner because of battery issues or such by that time.

That’s not the point. People can use whatever they want. It’s simply that mobile devices aren’t made to last forever and break. My better half lived her 1520 forever but eventually she moved on to a 8 Plus for reliability and basic apps that she needed to manage our daughters’ lives for school and sports functions with them.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
That’s not the point. People can use whatever they want. It’s simply that mobile devices aren’t made to last forever and break. My better half lived her 1520 forever but eventually she moved on to a 8 Plus for reliability and basic apps that she needed to manage our daughters’ lives for school and sports functions with them.
, sure but that is not unique to dead OS'ses. This line you wrote "What good is any device that loses even it’s remaining functionality?" implies that all WP phones are paperweights because official support stops but I personally don't think that is the case yet (them becoming paperweights I mean).

Renoktation

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site

I had similar thoughts a couple months ago. But Android in 2019 is way better than Android of 2016. I realised this after making the switch.

It's fast and it has got cool gestures. It supports VoLTE, current generation mobile payments, e governance, latest music streaming services, latest processors and exceptional battery performance.

My L950 discharges to 50% after an hour of video playback.

On the contrary, many Android phones today have excellent battery perfomance. As an example, my Nokia 4.2 discharges by only 15% to 20% after an hour of video playback!!

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
It's fast and it has got cool gestures. It supports VoLTE, current generation mobile payments, e governance, latest music streaming services, latest processors and exceptional battery performance.

My L950 discharges to 50% after an hour of video playback.

On the contrary, many Android phones today have excellent battery perfomance. As an example, my Nokia 4.2 discharges by only 15% to 20% after an hour of video playback!!
, yeah but is this worth it to throw another 250-500 bucks away? (good camera, screen & speakers). Or 100-200 if you are going to use it besides the 950/XL? (so a entry Android device will suffice). I am not sure, for me only the battery life or certain apps sound worth it and the rest is gimmicks or extras for me (though I don't live in the US).
E.g. for 350-500 bucks one could also buy an iPad, galaxy tab or Go for a better browsing/movie/music experience on the go.

Renoktation

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
I am not sure, for me only the battery life or certain apps sound worth it and the rest is gimmicks or extras for me (though I don't live in the US).

I don't live in US either. One of the main reason I switched is because of digital payments. I don't know about other countries but in India, all the banks use a common interface for digital payments known as UPI (Unified Payment Interface).
This only works on an Android or iPhone smartphone and allows us to transfer money directly among different banks. Most shops support this. And I wanted to ditch cash! Hence the switch.

Then there is Digi locker which is an egov initiative. It provides us or digitally signed I'd cards and educational certificates directly from source at one place! This app only exists on Play Store.

But there were more surprises. Alexa. You can set your routines for early morning or evening and it works like a charm. It's not perfect but it gives a glimpse of things to come!

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
I don't live in US either. One of the main reason I switched is because of digital payments. I don't know about other countries but in India, all the banks use a common interface for digital payments known as UPI (Unified Payment Interface).
This only works on an Android or iPhone smartphone and allows us to transfer money directly among different banks. Most shops support this. And I wanted to ditch cash! Hence the switch.
, ah that makes sense, where I live most people use bank cards or such as far I know (funny how that differs per country).

Bfalcon1

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

BlackBerry Passport next!

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Today, the platform is doomed, the store is on life support, products are cancelled on a daily basis and it all seems like the Titanic is about to sink from consumer's perspective. New products like Surface Pro X has got a very bad start & it shows that the company has not learnt from it's mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxnNScoJ02E

But instead of sinking with this ship, I have decided to switch. Already placed an order for a Nokia smartphone running Android One. I tried to stick as long as possible but I think it is time now with less than 20 days left for official support to end, WhatsApp will be going too, who knows, people app may stop working.

This is a message to all the WP fans. Make the switch. Hope to see you all on Android Central.

I believe Nadella would say thank you for switching. His goal is to have Microsoft support the two main mobile OSs. He would love to get everyone off Win 10 Mobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)