Windows 10 Mobile updates brick my phone

Xaryon

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

so I got a Lumia 950 XL for a cheap, just to have a backup phone just in case (it was cheap and having a Windows phone, even after EOS, is kinda cool for me).

But - whenever I install the update, it goes to sad face after "grinding" gears for a while. I do use a Windows Device Recovery Tool to unbrick it and it works fine, but whenever I try to install those updates again, it bricks again - just grinding gears for a while, then sad face, then restart and it's starts all over again. An endless loop.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

so I got a Lumia 950 XL for a cheap, just to have a backup phone just in case (it was cheap and having a Windows phone, even after EOS, is kinda cool for me).

But - whenever I install the update, it goes to sad face after "grinding" gears for a while. I do use a Windows Device Recovery Tool to unbrick it and it works fine, but whenever I try to install those updates again, it bricks again - just grinding gears for a while, then sad face, then restart and it's starts all over again. An endless loop.

Unfortunately it appears there is either a fault on the phone or an incorrect rom was possibly installed on the phone.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
WDRT wouldn't recognize the phone after the recovery.

1) Did you use the cable that came with the phone?

2) Also did the phone come with a box?

If so did the RM_ number on the box match the one shown on WDRT?

3) Check device manager and check / confirm what is showing on the USB port that is plugged in. If it is recognised there is a way to boot into the boot loader but I can't remember what it was lol...

You can try the following after turn the phone off - press the power button when it vibrates hold volume down until you get the an exclamation mark. Then connect it wdrt.

Or press power down then hold volume up and down until you see a lightning icon with a gear then connect to wdrt. If I do remember or find the right combination - i'll update this post (unless someone else remembers how to get into the boot loader - it's been aeons since I had to last get into the boot loader lol.)

Standard disclaimer - guides on rom flashing is done at your risk:
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2515453

Last edited:

Xaryon

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
1) Did you use the cable that came with the phone?

2) Also did the phone come with a box?

If so did the RM_ number on the box match the one shown on WDRT?

3) Check device manager and check / confirm what is showing on the USB port that is plugged in.

My bad - WDRT would recognise the phone after the recovery.

1. yes
2. yes and yes
3. after the recovery the phone is recognised as it supposed to.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
My bad - WDRT would recognise the phone after the recovery.

1. yes
2. yes and yes
3. after the recovery the phone is recognised as it supposed to.

Ah lol, I was fiddling around with hardware combos on my L950 XL to get into the bootloader hence the edited post (I probably need to charge it lol - sometimes I charge it every other day - hooray for push email :grin::grin:).

Xaryon

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
Ah lol, I was fiddling around with hardware combos on my L950 XL to get into the bootloader hence the edited post (I probably need to charge it lol - sometimes I charge it every other day - hooray for push email :grin::grin:).

Anyway, is there a tool which will download and install ALL remaining updates all at once instead of one at the time? For some reason the update installs to a certain point and the phone just restarts itself and falls into that boot loop.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, is there a tool which will download and install ALL remaining updates all at once instead of one at the time? For some reason the update installs to a certain point and the phone just restarts itself and falls into that boot loop.

You can try the Microsoft Update Catalogue.

Microsoft Update Catalog

I did a search Windows 10 Mobile only updates going back 2016 came up.

You may need to search using this format for the latest update . OS 10.0.13065.29.

Unfortunately, nothing came up for me when I searched for the latest build on my phone - OS 10.0.15254.603 so YMMV.

Xaryon

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site

Microsoft Update Catalog

You may need to search using this format for the latest update . OS 10.0.13065.29.

Unfortunately, nothing came up for me when I searched for the latest build on my phone - OS 10.0.15254.603 so YMMV.

I found the updates I need in there, but the question is - how to install them?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I found the updates I need in there, but the question is - how to install them?

To be honest, not a clue given the number of cab files contained in a single update entry :grincry:

If I had a spare L950XL I could use a test device, would have started tinkering around with the cab files lol.

I found this whilst looking for a solution - might help?

Over-the-cable Updater tool for Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows Mobile 10

Download Over-the-cable Updater tool for Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows Mobile 10 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Edit:

My brain pretty much fried atm... long day at work... the only things I can think of is to either download them onto msd card and launch them (very risky) or extract them then combine them somehow... or use the deployment tool with the WM10 SDK?

Instructions how to extract cab files:
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/dism-operating-system-package-servicing-command-line-options

Last edited:

Xaryon

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site

Microsoft Update Catalog

I was thinking about OTC updater, but I wonder if it will keep the cab files I downloaded in it's directory or will it wipe it and replace with older ones.

Xaryon

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site

Microsoft Update Catalog

A small update (I don't know why my posts are being deleted all the time) - I managed to get my phone to install a 1703 update, but it went to spinning gears and a sad face again after attempting an update to 1709. I don't want to use WDRT again, because this will ruin all my previouse efforts, but the hard reset doesn't seem to work for some reason...

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking about OTC updater, but I wonder if it will keep the cab files I downloaded in it's directory or will it wipe it and replace with older ones.

I'm not to sure, as I haven't used the OTC updater.

I'm sure you've already have the cab files copied elsewhere other than packages directory that's used by WDRT.

A small update regarding my problem - I left the phone alone to itself. I just connected it to the charger and my network, I set it to download and install the updates on it's own and to update itself outside of my usage hours. And surprisingly, it's already at 1703! Dunno why, dunno how, but I'll leave it to itself and check on it tomorrow to see if it finally updated itself.

Interesting, unfortunately we don't have any means of opting out of updates they just get rammed down the phone. Even if they brick the phone... especially now since Microsoft is really not going to be actively vetting code for WM10.

A small update (I don't know why my posts are being deleted all the time) - I managed to get my phone to install a 1703 update, but it went to spinning gears and a sad face again after attempting an update to 1709. I don't want to use WDRT again, because this will ruin all my previouse efforts, but the hard reset doesn't seem to work for some reason...

I have no idea why your posts are being deleted, I look for a response in the quoted posts and all I see is deleted posts o.0. Then I just go back to whatever I was doing lol...

To be honest, it seems 1709 is completely hosed for your phone.

Other than flashing a compatible rom I don't know what else would pull you out of that particular update track / path (sadly it seems the dev for the interop tools has take his site down).

The issue is US roms are a different kettle of fish due to the varying standards amongst the operators - some operators may disable certain features or have roms only supporting certain frequencies etc at radio firmware level etc. Whereas in europe everyone uses GSM so it's easier to find a rom that's compatible.

Did you make a note of the RM number of your phone and whether it's a country variant (unlocked with no splash screen branding).

Xaryon

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
I'm not to sure, as I haven't used the OTC updater.

I'm sure you've already have the cab files copied elsewhere other than packages directory that's used by WDRT.

Interesting, unfortunately we don't have any means of opting out of updates they just get rammed down the phone. Even if they brick the phone... especially now since Microsoft is really not going to be actively vetting code for WM10.

I have no idea why your posts are being deleted, I look for a response in the quoted posts and all I see is deleted posts o.0. Then I just go back to whatever I was doing lol...

To be honest, it seems 1709 is completely hosed for your phone.

Other than flashing a compatible rom I don't know what else would pull you out of that particular update track / path (sadly it seems the dev for the interop tools has take his site down).

The issue is US roms are a different kettle of fish due to the varying standards amongst the operators - some operators may disable certain features or have roms only supporting certain frequencies etc at radio firmware level etc. Whereas in europe everyone uses GSM so it's easier to find a rom that's compatible.

Did you make a note of the RM number of your phone and whether it's a country variant (unlocked with no splash screen branding).

I have an idea, but I do not know if this will work or not - the WDRT does recover my phone to the 1511 version. What if I swapped FFU files in it's directory and disconnect my PC from the net so it will flash my phone with the files I put in the folder?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have an idea, but I do not know if this will work or not - the WDRT does recover my phone to the 1511 version. What if I swapped FFU files in it's directory and disconnect my PC from the net so it will flash my phone with the files I put in the folder?

It should work, as long it installs a build later than version of 1709 that is pushed down via Windows update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3