Is there any chance for windows phone to roll out for sale again?

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Missing windows phone to the moon and back. Is there any chance of coming back?

Think the state of affairs w/Windows Phone at present pretty much gives you the answer... Extremely unlikely. And I'd start rethinking my travel plans as trip to the moon can be pretty pricey from what I hear :winktongue:

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
No. Still dead. Still buried. Still no one wants it.

What exactly do you miss about it? The ugly, confusing interface? The lack of apps? The horrible Edge browser?

"But it was such a great OS" is not an acceptable answer. No one buys ANY computer to run the OS.

Yes, I had Windows phones. Still have a 920 on 8.1, and a 1520 and an Icon on Win10M. All are useless today. They occasionally (when I feel like torturing myself) get used as extremely clumsy MP3 players. Groove music is total suckage for playing MP3s.

When I finally abandoned Windows Phones, my first question was "why did I wait so long?" And that was moving to Android, because I was a good little WinSheep and thought Apple was bad.

After 2 years of Android I moved again, to iOS. Life is too short to F around with S phones.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
No. Still dead. Still buried. Still no one wants it.

What exactly do you miss about it? The ugly, confusing interface? The lack of apps? The horrible Edge browser?

"But it was such a great OS" is not an acceptable answer. No one buys ANY computer to run the OS.

Yes, I had Windows phones. Still have a 920 on 8.1, and a 1520 and an Icon on Win10M. All are useless today. They occasionally (when I feel like torturing myself) get used as extremely clumsy MP3 players. Groove music is total suckage for playing MP3s.

When I finally abandoned Windows Phones, my first question was "why did I wait so long?" And that was moving to Android, because I was a good little WinSheep and thought Apple was bad.

After 2 years of Android I moved again, to iOS. Life is too short to F around with S phones.

Browsing experience on W10M had to be the worst and ONE of the main reasons my WP’s soon ended up back in a drawer, even our 950... Had the LG G4 at time (2015 vintage as well and spec’d eerily the same), differences in this area were night and day.

And throughout ALL the updates Microsoft kept issuing (their continued support lol), improvements were for the most part nonexistent. So WOOHOO!

Will admit starting out w/Windows phone in late 2012 (8.0) to end of 2014 (8.1) were decent enough years (no real regrets) but Microsoft made sure to ruin that. And thankfully we had been delving into Android since 2010 so I was no stranger. To-date, and since 2015, Android has treated me very well and that’s where we’re staying for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Sadly it won't come back. Consumers spoke and said they didn't want it. Hence why even MS is moving forward with Android now. You can still buy Windows 10 Mobile phones or Windows 8 Phones on Amazon, eBay etc. but the experience will definitely pale now compared to how it was in its heyday.

I loved Windows Phone (it's what made me visit and join this site and forums), and whilst I am now on Android, I do miss the whole Windows Phone experience and how it worked seamlessly (at the time) with Windows on desktop. Android is okay, it does the job, but there's no personality or pleasure in using the OS compared to how I felt using Windows Phone. I'm still going to make my next phone a Surface Duo (one day), just because it's great to see MS back making some kind of mobile hardware.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Sadly it won't come back. Consumers spoke and said they didn't want it. Hence why even MS is moving forward with Android now. You can still buy Windows 10 Mobile phones or Windows 8 Phones on Amazon, eBay etc. but the experience will definitely pale now compared to how it was in its heyday.

I loved Windows Phone (it's what made me visit and join this site and forums), and whilst I am now on Android, I do miss the whole Windows Phone experience and how it worked seamlessly (at the time) with Windows on desktop. Android is okay, it does the job, but there's no personality or pleasure in using the OS compared to how I felt using Windows Phone. I'm still going to make my next phone a Surface Duo (one day), just because it's great to see MS back making some kind of mobile hardware.

Yes the consumer finally spoke but it was Microsoft's doings (indecisiveness/change-of-directions) that kept crippling momentum... 7.X user were left in the dust unable to upgrade to 8.0 due to hardware limitations. Similar happened with many 8.0/8.1 users when W10M arrived. And with 10, we began to see a mass exodus of app developers which imo then sealed the platforms fate.

Hate to say it but if one is still holding onto the past then they cannot enjoy the future. Essentially I control the device it doesn't control me. Find my Android's have personality too, mine. And enjoy using them each day because they do what I ask of them with rarely a whimper. My experiences with Windows Phone 8.0/8.1 were similar but w/10, it soured my taste greatly for the platform. Been using Android regularly since early 2015 having little to complain about.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I enjoy Android for what it is. And it's certainly better than what Windows Phone is in it's current state. But MS, as @Elky64 said, are also responsible for the death of the platform.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Who remembers the People Hub in the very early days of WM7? I bought a Nokia 900 from AT&T on day one. The people hub was my favorite part of the OS. It felt very futuristic at the time. Of course MSFT killed it off pretty quickly since it was actually good and people liked it. Can't have that!!

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Who remembers the People Hub in the very early days of WM7? I bought a Nokia 900 from AT&T on day one. The people hub was my favorite part of the OS. It felt very futuristic at the time. Of course MSFT killed it off pretty quickly since it was actually good and people liked it. Can't have that!!

And that's where Microsoft seems to always kill it in the consumer space, feature reboots, OS reboots, etc. I've come to follow the KISS rule when using anything MS, use sparingly relying on what they have to offer least amount possible.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Currently browsing/typing this on L928 (635 & 710 lying right next to me). This was the best and most expensive phone I owned - I bought it from MS before Verizon even started selling them. The only limitation I had back in the time was I couldn't send text messages unless I switched it to 2G. Then finally, after the reset, I was unable to set it up for 4G internet (Verizon phone using w/ Tmobile). There was a guide for that setup with an international SIM card which didn't work anymore.

The final straw for me was that the apps started working/opening extremely slow. For example, I used WhatsApp the most (UC Browser 2nd) and it would take more than 30 seconds just to open.

As elky64 mentioned, as many others, my 710 was left behind with WP 7.5 (T-Mobile didn't release update to 7.8). Then I got 928, which Verizon after long delays finally updated to Denim. But MS refused to upgrade to WM10. I then got 925, and 635 later, both forced to WM10 then successfully downgraded because they were barely usable.

I always thought I won't buy any phone that didn't have a Glance screen, then after moving to Android I didnt miss it much. I never used Always On Display. I occasionally come back to these phones because I loved WP so much. But MS pushed people away from this system with their Coming Soon but never delivering strategy.

Remember MS was developing "a bridge" to port apps from Android to WP which they soon cancelled. When I said the same will happen with the iOS "bridge" people here didn't like it. But it never happened

Anyway, I must conclude this here. Sorry for bunch of mistakes you may see above

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3