06-08-2017 10:20 AM
46 12
tools
    I wouldn't mind running 10s on an ipad mini type replacement. Something that is just a small knockaround tablet used for ebooks and Netflix.
    06-02-2017 12:59 PM
    I think I would upgrade, for my son I'd definitely upgrade.
    06-02-2017 01:01 PM
    What I would want my parents to use their pc. *.exe hunting by themselves is dangerous.
    Plus, easy to find app, clean install, sync, update and clean uninstall are all pretty good benefits.
    06-02-2017 01:13 PM
    Something I've been trying to find out is whether the OS is literally the same as Home but locked down to the store through a software restriction.

I.E If you got a fresh install of Home and a fresh install of S, would they have identical Services running in the background out of the box etc.

I was hoping more of the legacy stuff was stripped out by default, and would get added back in if you upgraded to W10 Pro - For example, would you get an identical experience performance and battery wise if you just use W10 Home and set it to only allow apps from the store to be installed (Which you can do in the current SKUs if you want)
    If anything, it's a stripped down version of W10 Pro: from what I saw during the announcement. The biggest clue on this is that it's able to join a AD domain, the same as Pro. W10 home does not have this ability. The target market for this version is the education sector. This means that the ability to centrally manage the IT assets needs to be a key part.
    06-02-2017 02:45 PM
    Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if Windows 10S will be made available to those currently on Windows 10 Home?

If so, would there be any performance benefit for low-end, 2-in-1 type devices?

Cheers,
    Mitch
    I would really love to get that Windows 10 S. This is secure and up to date Windows OS can refresh your 12 old Desktop PC, cuz it is made to run on low end devices. Well it's not like my 12 old PC doesn't run well Windows 10, but with Windows 10 S it will be more fresh than ever.
    I really think that is the straight of Windows - to install the OS on every Hardware you want to, however they did not made this happen with Windows Phone, if only they made it Available on install of any Hardware, this would be different now.
    06-02-2017 03:08 PM
    Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if Windows 10S will be made available to those currently on Windows 10 Home?

Cheers,
    Mitch
    06-02-2017 03:49 PM
    for me no I can not see it
    06-02-2017 03:55 PM
    Some very interesting posts here, anyway in my case, it's something I would consider for my Surface Pro 4, though I won't probably be able to do it because of one app I need at work that will probably will never make it into Store. But for example if I just needed a laptop for Office and some work that requires only browser, then why not? (which gets us to the Surface Laptop and the reason it goes on the market)
    06-02-2017 04:30 PM
    Simple, Give me the Microsoft Money plus sunset windows store edition and I'm in.
    06-02-2017 09:11 PM
    I'd Install Windows 10 S on my HP Stream 11 as I don't use that a lot since I upgraded my Laptop, but my new main Laptop which is also an HP would have to stay Windows 10 Home & maybe at some point upgrade to Windows 10 Pro as it's my Gaming/Video Editing Laptop & needs the full flexibility of being able to use none Windows Store Apps (Steam, Origin & Adobe Premiere Pro).

Roland
    06-03-2017 03:39 AM
    On my desktop/laptop? No thanks. Maybe on a tablet.

I can see the appeal of not having to manually update your software (think notepad++, ccleaner) but I'm still relying on legacy software that won't ever get put in the store (Zune).

I'd also like to be able to keep an offline installer, and not being subject to any mood swings from the publisher.

Who's to say I'm not going to use the software after the developer retired it from market?
    06-03-2017 04:17 AM
    Hi everyone,

Cheers,
    Mitch
    Oh my God, YES!

I would love to upgrade my Lenovo Yoga Book to a Windows 10 S OS. Would work that much better on it.
    All apps I would use at that form factor are on UWP platform. Performance and battery life would rock.

Absolutely.
    This is the only thing I crib about - why cant we download Windows 10 S and upgrade a Pro to S ?
    06-03-2017 01:41 PM
    Oh my God, YES!

I would love to upgrade my Lenovo Yoga Book to a Windows 10 S OS. Would work that much better on it.
    All apps I would use at that form factor are on UWP platform. Performance and battery life would rock.

Absolutely.
    This is the only thing I crib about - why cant we download Windows 10 S and upgrade a Pro to S ?
    06-03-2017 01:42 PM
    Hi everyone,

Cheers,
    Mitch
    If Microsoft want to tie you down to their store then they ought to giveaway the operating system for free, considering how they intend to profit from you buying from their store and from the all the sneaky ways they collect information about you.

They want to capitalize off your personal data, provide you "apps and ads", so why should I pay for that from the start. (I would install on custom PC).

If you're giving it away free then it's like I'm agreeing to the apps and ads as long as I'm a user of the OS.
    06-04-2017 12:11 AM
    You mean downgrade to 10S, No.
    06-04-2017 01:39 PM
    Hi everyone,

Cheers,
    Mitch
    06-05-2017 09:33 AM
    No Limits!
    06-05-2017 09:34 AM
    If I could get Chrome on the Windows Store, and if Windows 10 S meant better battery life, I'd be all over it.

Of course, using Chrome does kind of kill Windows's battery life. 😜
    06-05-2017 10:54 AM
    If I could get Chrome on the Windows Store, and if Windows 10 S meant better battery life, I'd be all over it.

Of course, using Chrome does kind of kill Windows's battery life.
    I'm not as interested in Chrome as I once was. My eyes have been mainly on the use of Edge and Opera wherever possible. I prefer the design in Opera. Edge is used sporadically though. Mind you I have a bunch of various browsers installed and each has its own preference on pages.
    06-05-2017 06:18 PM
    It was stated that on the Surface Laptop is you upgrade from Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Pro you can't go back. Not sure why but I bet it's the same for Windows 10 Home.
    06-06-2017 08:42 AM
    If Microsoft want to tie you down to their store then they ought to giveaway the operating system for free, considering how they intend to profit from you buying from their store and from the all the sneaky ways they collect information about you.

They want to capitalize off your personal data, provide you "apps and ads", so why should I pay for that from the start. (I would install on custom PC).

If you're giving it away free then it's like I'm agreeing to the apps and ads as long as I'm a user of the OS.
    that's not why it was created though. whether or not its true that they may benefit from those concepts, it's not the reason 10S exists. All ad-like features can be turned off too. And my guess is you're agreeing to all of that stuff anyway by using the OS.
    06-08-2017 10:20 AM
46 12