Windows 10S availability on existing devices

SalableFawn

May 3, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if Windows 10S will be made available to those currently on Windows 10 Home?

If so, would there be any performance benefit for low-end, 2-in-1 type devices?

Cheers,
Mitch

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Well all I can tell you is they said it would be free to switch for schools. It might be free to switch for anyone? We on't know.

The performance factor, is something they mentioned in the talk, but for some reason everyone's been fixated on the store-only thing.

I want someone to get in there and benchmark/real-time test this beast and tell us for sure - is windows s faster? If it is, that's very important IMO.

If it is, it's not windows lite, its windows streamlined. And that has some appeal, especially as you say, for low end hard-ware. Come on guys give us some real answers on windows s! test that beast, get under the hood!

My guess would be it is, and they stripped services down to achieve it. But I wanna know, and I want someone to actually talk about it.

Get yourselves a PC with some low specs. A tablet, whatever. Time the app loading, and logging in time. Time multi-tasking. There's a UWP for video editing - time some damned video crunching on pro versus s. Please god, let us know lol!

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I seriously don't see any real benefits of the Windows 10 S. If you want your kid's computer safe and secure then don't give them any Admin privileges, install Tinywall(firewall) and regularly update their device. It's what I do in every computers in our house, they can install apps from store they just can't install install win32 applications without my confirmation as the admin.

MrElectrifyer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
It allows you to still connect them to Azure AD, but keeps them more secure since they can't install apps other than those available in the store.

That's literally what the following option built into the creators update does:

Restricting App Installation to Just the Store.png

Simply select it using an admin account on your kids' Laptops, and setup a standard user account for your kids on their Laptop. Done, no need to permanently restrict yourself.

SalableFawn

May 3, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys.

Like Drael touched on, I'm interested to know whether Windows 10S will be any faster on cheap hardware, owing to the more streamlined OS.

I guess time will tell!

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys.

Like Drael touched on, I'm interested to know whether Windows 10S will be any faster on cheap hardware, owing to the more streamlined OS.

I guess time will tell!

It's lighter to which can be translated to being snappier=feels faster. Though might not be a big of a difference from Windows 10 in overall performance as W10 is already very forgiving on low spec computers. To give you an example I have been using W10 in my 10 y/o Dell laptop without any issues except some drivers with my laptop being too old.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I seriously don't see any real benefits of the Windows 10 S. If you want your kid's computer safe and secure then don't give them any Admin privileges, install Tinywall(firewall) and regularly update their device. It's what I do in every computers in our house, they can install apps from store they just can't install install win32 applications without my confirmation as the admin.

So when your kid goes to a website that takes advantage of an exploit that doesn't care about your privileges, what then?

The concept of windows 10S is to flush out the w32 system from dynamic linking, statically linked libraries for the OS and project centennial only coupled with tight permissions and containers.

Chris Knopff

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, everyone has a choice in the security they put on any of their operating system. Each has their benefits and caveats.

For parents setting up a system for their kids, the best option is to prevent them from installing things on the computer. A good way to do this is with Administrative access being removed from their profile. If you want to further prevent issues, use a default browser with pop-up blocking and ad-block enabled. Using a proxy or a feature like OpenDNS helps.

As for making Windows 10 S available on existing devices, it would be nice to see how it performs. As the Windows Store grows, this may be something nice, but in my situation it would not work, and currently with applications my kids use, it would not be possible (yet)

As for a tool like TinyWall, it only tries to advance the Windows Firewall, and the Firewall in Windows 10 has been getting better.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I think I would upgrade my wife's 2-in-1, it would make the battery last longer. She only uses Store apps anyway. It would be win win ??????.

uburz

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if Windows 10S will be made available to those currently on Windows 10 Home?

If so, would there be any performance benefit for low-end, 2-in-1 type devices?

Cheers,
Mitch

I don't think that would be possible without fresh Windows install. It would still make sense on some devices, for performance reasons. In my humble opinion, Windows 10 home edition should be dismissed, in favor of Windows 10 S.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss