How is Microsoft planning to address the app gap?

Ismail Mohd

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
With the introduction of Windows 10 S, Windows Store will play a critical role. It is important for Microsoft to focus on the store.

Some suggestions for the store:

1. A separate section called 'Microsoft Apps' which contains all apps built by Microsoft.
2. Apps such as Bing, Linkedin which are on mobile also need to come as part of desktop UWP app.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Issue seems to be somewhat resolving itself. Ie windows s is the solution to the problem it proposes.

Since announcing windows s, Spotify and iTunes are coming to the store. MS themselves are porting office 365.

I think apps that target young people are definitely going to want to port their gear to the windows store via centennial bridge.

I'm not sure you can really say theres "an app gap" when it comes to windows s. Its only competitor, chromeOS which is only really very big in the states and pretty minimal elsewhere has only 10,000 native apps. The rest are all smartphone apps which scale poorly and work better with touch (not really particularly education focused either).

MSFTs offerings in the education section of the windows store are already pretty strong. They also have a decent selection of time filler games, and various productivity apps (on the stylus, in terms of art and design MS is tops for high quality apps).

And because its parents and schools buying these devices, for schoolwork (not the kids themselves), they are not going to give a rats if it has snapchat (although snapchat really should!).

Basically its going against chromeOS in desktop education functions. Which with its 10,000 native apps, its not exactly education app godzilla.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe 10 S IS the response. With 10 S, the Store apps are moved from the background straight to the frontline, making it a bit more appealing for developers since a lot of users haven't been exactly flocking to the store.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I believe 10 S IS the response. With 10 S, the Store apps are moved from the background straight to the frontline, making it a bit more appealing for developers since a lot of users haven't been exactly flocking to the store.
Yep. I hope it works out. I think the problem lies with the fact there are still a good number of Windows 7 and prior users out there. This reduces users to using their web browsers, a dedicated program, or a device with Android or iOS. When these users convert over, many stick with what they know already so it really doesn't encourage development for Windows apps...yet.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I have been mentioning to people to use the store apps.

I have the same attitude as Dan Rubino in his podcasts though, I use them a lot on my surface, but nowhere near as much on my desktop. I have noticed that there still is an issue with UI on apps with touch screens, and it's that icons generally could be larger, and a lot of space is generally wasted.

One thing that's really annoying me about certain apps, particularly ones which are essentially browser based services, they don't let you use the computer how you should be able to. Stuff like copying images from the app, or copying text, is not permitted, and it sucks, although this is offtopic.

Ultimately, with a bit more emphasis on the store, things can improve. I'm not holding my breath, and to be honest, I get the feeling that Windows 10 S won't see enormous success, but I do get the feeling that it will succeed in its purpose; promoting the app store.

Kind of how windows RT was a flop, but that didn't mean that the surface line was a disaster.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I have been mentioning to people to use the store apps.

I have the same attitude as Dan Rubino in his podcasts though, I use them a lot on my surface, but nowhere near as much on my desktop. I have noticed that there still is an issue with UI on apps with touch screens, and it's that icons generally could be larger, and a lot of space is generally wasted.

One thing that's really annoying me about certain apps, particularly ones which are essentially browser based services, they don't let you use the computer how you should be able to. Stuff like copying images from the app, or copying text, is not permitted, and it sucks, although this is offtopic.

Ultimately, with a bit more emphasis on the store, things can improve. I'm not holding my breath, and to be honest, I get the feeling that Windows 10 S won't see enormous success, but I do get the feeling that it will succeed in its purpose; promoting the app store.

Kind of how windows RT was a flop, but that didn't mean that the surface line was a disaster.

Their was a commercial Linux distro years ago called BeOS, that had built in to the app system the ability to copy and past anything, from anything, to anything. You could literally get a picture from one app, and paste it to the surface of a 3d object in another app, with none of it being coded for in the app.

Obviously the platform never took off, although years later people are starting to copy its, first to market idea of "tabs" (it had tabs for window management, system wide, before they even appeared in browsers)

It was also the first OS to ultilizing multi-core at an OS level. Well ahead of its time in many ways.

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site

Agree, it's going to force developers to at least get interested in UWP and they will find it is pretty easy to join. Though I'm still not convinced that Project Centennial is the most effective. I mean to take something, just wrap it in something and release it won't ever be the same as developing an app with UWP in mind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes