Why don't launch Cortana with less features worldwide?

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I think we all understand that Cortana is powered by Bing and as Bing sucks outside the US they don't launch it worldwide. But why they don't let us use the non-Bing features like quite hours or set alarm? And don't tell me "speak recognition" is the problem. Speak recognition works outside the US just fine. That would be so much better and they people would complain much less about it. I rly don't understand why, thats not a big deal for such a big company to implement at least these tiny features (they are already there!!!).

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I think we all understand that Cortana is powered by Bing and as Bing sucks outside the US they don't launch it worldwide. But why they don't let us use the non-Bing features like quite hours or set alarm? And don't tell me "speak recognition" is the problem. Speak recognition works outside the US just fine. That would be so much better and they people would complain much less about it. I rly don't understand why, thats not a big deal for such a big company to implement at least these tiny features (they are already there!!!).

From what I understand you can get quiet hours and alarms if you're part of the "dev preview program".. Some of us think that by simply putting the phone on US region will allow you to update, but I would go for the first option :)

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
As far as I understood, Cortana will be available with limited features in other languages and quite soon. Nokia France said that when Lumia 930 is released (~June), Cortana in French (with basic capabilities) should be available. So wait & see.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
As far as I understood, Cortana will be available with limited features in other languages and quite soon. Nokia France said that when Lumia 930 is released (~June), Cortana in French (with basic capabilities) should be available. So wait & see.

Wow if this is true than MS is "hauling ***" lol

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It is in a way better not to have Cortana beta with less features worldwide right now. Did you read news when Siri was released with such strategy? It was beta and Apple launched it without localization and features in other countries at the same time. It got bad press and forums were flooded with people complaining "Siri is ****, doesn't do half the things" and that's how Siri jokes became so popular. Last thing we want Cortana to be is a joke!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
It is in a way better not to have Cortana beta with less features worldwide right now. Did you read news when Siri was released with such strategy? It was beta and Apple launched it without localization and features in other countries at the same time. It got bad press and forums were flooded with people complaining "Siri is ****, doesn't do half the things" and that's how Siri jokes became so popular. Last thing we want Cortana to be is a joke!

True, I think the fact that Cortana was leaked so early made it hard for us WP lovers to wait any longer.. So the leak worked both ways for MS.. It kept them in the press, but also made it harder for the fans to wait

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

Do you know that Google has actually launched Google Now with less features (we still have less features here in Europe) also? I don't know where u live, but here in Germany the it press writes "not hitting germany in the next year" speaking of Cortana pretty often. I don't know if this is a better publicity....
You could at least put it in the developer preview, that's for developers. Nobody would complain about less features....

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Do you know that Google has actually launched Google Now with less features (we still have less features here in Europe) also? I don't know where u live, but here in Germany the it press writes "not hitting germany in the next year" speaking of Cortana pretty often. I don't know if this is a better publicity....
You could at least put it in the developer preview, that's for developers. Nobody would complain about less features....

But Cortana is in the dev preview? Daniel Rubino himself said it would be..

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Changing the whole phone to English restricts other language specific features. My idea is much more user friendly.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Aha i don't mind English on my phone lol and all my apps are from US.. Those that want to have their own language will have to wait until 2015.. I can't imagine waiting that long :eek:

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

That will be stupidity dude..!!
Releasing full-featured Cortana only in the US is a good move.. Initially..!!
So that cortana doesn't end up being the biggest disaster ever to Microsoft..!!
Much like the case of Siri..!

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
If you have TellMe functionality I suspect that will continue until Cortana is fully rolled out. Cortana incorporates much of the functions of TellMe so it would makes in that aspect. Probably the biggest reasons for the US to get it first is that they are based in America so it's easier to put units out under NDA to test and also to do dogfooding giving the much needed data to make this work. If you have used TellMe/Voice Transcribing on your phone you're helping MS to roll out Cortanta by giving them valuable telemetrics.

Last edited:

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
That will be stupidity dude..!!
Releasing full-featured Cortana only in the US is a good move.. Initially..!!
So that cortana doesn't end up being the biggest disaster ever to Microsoft..!!
Much like the case of Siri..!

Nobody outside the US really cares about Apple, they dominate that market. So it's not a risk for Apple to launch Siri properly only in the US, since that's where the majority of their users are anyway. The small % of users in other countries can be safely ignored.

However, this is not the case for WP. It's got negligible marketshare in the US and Apple has that market pretty well sewn up already. It is doing well in countries like India, Italy, the UK, etc. If users in these countries see the publicity about Cortana, they will have one more negative point against WP adding to the many that are already there.

If I, as a user in India, go phone shopping and see that there are 3 phones, for similar prices - the iPhone 5S, SGS5, HTC M8 and e.g. the Nokia L1520. I know that the iOS and Android devices offer me a fully featured digital assistant (Google Now is great for Indian users with this). I know that with WP, I'm unlikely to get Cortana in India at least till 2015. Which do you think I will buy?

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Nobody outside the US really cares about Apple, they dominate that market. So it's not a risk for Apple to launch Siri properly only in the US, since that's where the majority of their users are anyway. The small % of users in other countries can be safely ignored.

However, this is not the case for WP. It's got negligible marketshare in the US and Apple has that market pretty well sewn up already. It is doing well in countries like India, Italy, the UK, etc. If users in these countries see the publicity about Cortana, they will have one more negative point against WP adding to the many that are already there.

If I, as a user in India, go phone shopping and see that there are 3 phones, for similar prices - the iPhone 5S, SGS5, HTC M8 and e.g. the Nokia L1520. I know that the iOS and Android devices offer me a fully featured digital assistant (Google Now is great for Indian users with this). I know that with WP, I'm unlikely to get Cortana in India at least till 2015. Which do you think I will buy?

Exactly if Microsoft won't care for India so Indians won't care for Microsoft nd purchase their droids.there is also a trend most lower end android owners starve nd save money to buy flagship.that's because they have become addicted to smartphone.in that case they will go for android os because of apps.its only how the os rekindles interest in the consumer.then consumer will be locked to particular ecosystem by reducing his other needs nd save money nd buy flagship that will happen in India very soon.at that juncture ms will loose those potential customers who will go for android or even Apple.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
You guys realize that you'll be able to use Cortana outside of the USA if you enable USA region settings???? I live in Australia but I set my region to the USA to get the improved Bing Search app. It works just the same but I get more features. Stop complaining.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

That will be the case only if you buy a phone just for a digital personal assistant..!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)