Why don't launch Cortana with less features worldwide?

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
You guys realize that you'll be able to use Cortana outside of the USA if you enable USA region settings???? I live in Australia but I set my region to the USA to get the improved Bing Search app. It works just the same but I get more features. Stop complaining.

you realize that not all people speak English? Also if set to English you don't have speak recognition for your language, you can't purchase apps and so on. That's not a solution. Its ok to try out cortana but not a good idea for daily use .

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
you realize that not all people speak English? Also if set to English you don't have speak recognition for your language, you can't purchase apps and so on. That's not a solution. Its ok to try out cortana but not a good idea for daily use .

English is a global language. Generally for anything global unless it is Olympics or UN, order of languages is - English, French, Spanish then the rest.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I cannot speak to the roadmap of when Cortana is rolling out when and where, but I can speak to the fact that there is a LOT of work on the inside that has to go into getting her to work and live up to the expectations of everyone in different countries/regions. It's not just an app that you can roll out with localization which makes it appear in another language. It's a HUGE undertaking on the back end.

Personally, I think it makes sense to launch it full here in the US before other markets.

1. Microsoft is a US based company, so it makes sense they focus on US first releases
2. Build up the hype and press here which will reach out globally
3. Give some time for their user base to help ferret out some bugs/issue and offer feedback for enhancements before it hits globally

I can name off more reasons, but I think it is smart for them to do it this way.

Now, for those outside the US that want to try Cortana, just go into your Region settings and set it to United States and English and you can try it out. All other language settings in the phone should be preserved (KB and all that).

Thanks

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
That will be the case only if you buy a phone just for a digital personal assistant..!!

Not really. It's just one of the factors which influence one's purchase, and in my personal opinion there is little difference functionally between the 3 platforms (Android, iOS and WP). They have maybe 80% feature equivalency and it's these things like unique features (Siri, Cortana, Now, etc) that serve as differentiators.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I cannot speak to the roadmap of when Cortana is rolling out when and where, but I can speak to the fact that there is a LOT of work on the inside that has to go into getting her to work and live up to the expectations of everyone in different countries/regions. It's not just an app that you can roll out with localization which makes it appear in another language. It's a HUGE undertaking on the back end.

Personally, I think it makes sense to launch it full here in the US before other markets.

1. Microsoft is a US based company, so it makes sense they focus on US first releases
2. Build up the hype and press here which will reach out globally
3. Give some time for their user base to help ferret out some bugs/issue and offer feedback for enhancements before it hits globally

Thanks

Talderon, I don't agree with these 3 reasons. Let me explain.

1. US-based company: So what? The world is global. Apple's market share is declining precisely because they choose to focus on the US, but they are changing that slowly. E.g. iTunes is now getting more and more Indian content. They tied up with India's mobile operators to offer iPhones on a monthly price, just like the contract system in the US, and that will greatly increase their share in India.

2. The hype and press in the US doesn't really make a difference. the local media will skewer Microsoft for not releasing in their countries.

3. They will reach a much larger userbase by launching in, for example, the UK where WP has 10%.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Talderon, I don't agree with these 3 reasons. Let me explain.

1. US-based company: So what? The world is global. Apple's market share is declining precisely because they choose to focus on the US, but they are changing that slowly. E.g. iTunes is now getting more and more Indian content. They tied up with India's mobile operators to offer iPhones on a monthly price, just like the contract system in the US, and that will greatly increase their share in India.

2. The hype and press in the US doesn't really make a difference. the local media will skewer Microsoft for not releasing in their countries.

3. They will reach a much larger userbase by launching in, for example, the UK where WP has 10%.

There are plenty of cool things that are released in Japan, China, India and other countries because that is where these companies are based. We have to wait here in the US for them. It happens everywhere.

So, it is better to have an app/feature developed, pretty much completed except regional things and in order to make everyone happy, wait a year or two extra to launch globally. I don't see many other companies do that when there is a user base that will help test/enhance/generate revenue NOW and add other regions later to build on that.

I agree here somewhat, but what do you think the media will do to a US Company that launches something like this to OTHER countries first vs. their home turf first? Look what happened with Bing Rewards. They took a risk on launching it on IOS and Android and not on WP first and they were damn near crucified for it by the media and user base.

There is no WinWin for anyone here. Release on this roadmap and get hammered on, or release on another roadmap and get hammered on. There is no winning argument here.

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
But you don't have 5% in the US. You have 10% in the big 5 of Europe though. And that's a lot more than the <5% in the US.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss