"Ask Cortana" VS "Google it"

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft could really learn something from Apple about selling a brand. Microsoft is pretty clueless. Bing should be the brand for all content (search, music, video, photos, cloud storage, online news). But Microsoft screwed it up by using their gaming brand for their content services. Now they're dropping the Bing brand from their online content apps (news, sports, weather, travel, health, food). But for some reason they're still using the MSN brand. They're like a genius with ADD. They keep starting good products and services and then abandoning them. They don't even figure out what they already have before they start something new.
I disagree because it is smart to have separate assets. If I was using Bing News instead of MSN I am not sure how I would feel about it. MSN has a brand in its own right. Xbox is the right brand to push the consumer to think of everything content. That is a strategically smart move, in my opinion. What I think Microsoft is doing correctly is quietly removing the Bing presence across its core software services and making it part of the Microsoft "experience" on its various platforms and products.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I honesly think that the people behind Bing are doing good job in catching up with Google in recent years
at first I was skeptical, but after using it in my phone, I gotta say it's getting better

of course, there's still gap between Bing and Google as Google is older and more experienced at this
but I'm sure that's something they're working at now

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I honesly think that the people behind Bing are doing good job in catching up with Google in recent years
at first I was skeptical, but after using it in my phone, I gotta say it's getting better

of course, there's still gap between Bing and Google as Google is older and more experienced at this
but I'm sure that's something they're working at now

agreed. I only use Bing now.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
bing needs a better date filter! make it more like google's! i like bing for the most part (and sometimes it gives better results) but google is more flexible.

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I disagree because it is smart to have separate assets. If I was using Bing News instead of MSN I am not sure how I would feel about it. MSN has a brand in its own right. Xbox is the right brand to push the consumer to think of everything content. That is a strategically smart move, in my opinion. What I think Microsoft is doing correctly is quietly removing the Bing presence across its core software services and making it part of the Microsoft "experience" on its various platforms and products.

When Microsoft announced that they were using the Xbox brand for their entertainment services, I thought, this is such a smart move - makes total sense to replace the failed Zune brand with something people know and like. Unfortunately, in the 2 years since then, they've done almost nothing to actually promote that vision. Have you ever seen advertisements for Xbox Music or Xbox Video? People still think of Xbox as a video games console, not as a general term for Microsoft's entertainment services. I really wish Microsoft would show any signs that they understood how to market themselves to consumers... this is especially important as they move into this services-oriented role.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
When Microsoft announced that they were using the Xbox brand for their entertainment services, I thought, this is such a smart move - makes total sense to replace the failed Zune brand with something people know and like. Unfortunately, in the 2 years since then, they've done almost nothing to actually promote that vision. Have you ever seen advertisements for Xbox Music or Xbox Video? People still think of Xbox as a video games console, not as a general term for Microsoft's entertainment services. I really wish Microsoft would show any signs that they understood how to market themselves to consumers... this is especially important as they move into this services-oriented role.

I bought a drink at McDonalds and it said "watch The Wolverine, only on Xbox Video" and it had an Xbox Video logo on it. It was broadly worded in the middle of the cup too. I agree, though, they could do more.

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if at some point Microsoft starts shedding the Xbox branding across its video, music, and gaming products and roles it into one Xbox for content and entertainment. Whether they make the same move as they are doing with Bing I am still waiting to see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon