The Cortana Setup Guide

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I honestly can't tell you since I have never had a L925. I have had a 920, 8X and 1520 and always have location on. I never really had any issues with Battery. I would suggest you turn it on for a day and see (in comparison to a day without it on). Also, I have found WP8.1 to be a bit more friendly with the battery.

Battery is better! From your mouth to God's ears! I really wish my 920 gets just a little bit more juice, although I have to say, it improved significantly 2 updates far, I guess it was the first GDR3 update, made my phone very fast, and very battery efficient.

If this improves more I would be very happy, BTW, I remember Joe saying that on battery saver the phone can live an extra 24h, does anyone remember anything like this?

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi. Thanks for all the info. I have a question about the capacitive buttons in WP8.1. What do they do now in terms of multitasking? If I press the home button, does it quit the app and return to home, and if I press the back button does it tombstone it and return to home? Thanks.

Chemilinski

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for answering my last question!

A couple more for you though.

First, you say that region has to be set to US English. For example, I am in Canada, so I have it set to Canada. If I download Windows Phone 8.1 with Canadian region. It won't have cortana. But then what if I then change my region to us and check for updates? Will it update to a version with cortana? Or will cortana just be downloadable as an app?

And second! I'm waiting for a specific feature... But I doubt you have any info on it. There has been some demand of when you have a notification your Windows Logo with slowly pulse with light. Do you know if this is a feature coming?

Thanks again! And PS. totally jealous of your job, I'm a huge Microsoft fan, using anything else just feels wrong. I WILL be working for them one day and I can't wait. Its my dream job :)

Notification light like this? ;D On you're computer you have to click it.
WP_20140412_11_32_57_Cinemagraph_export.gif
I saw this yesterday at a Nokia stand at my local tech store... I had go take a cinemagraph. Never seen it before!

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
This is the charging indicator when the phone battery is drained out completely, but it would be amazing if they just give us this damn light, what would it effect them not to.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Question regarding Inner Circle nicknames...

Is that 3 nicknames in addition to the contact name? So I could say "Text my son", "Text the boy", "Text Skippy", and "Text {his contact name}"?

And then 1 nickname in addition to the regular contact names as well?

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Question regarding Inner Circle nicknames...

Is that 3 nicknames in addition to the contact name? So I could say "Text my son", "Text the boy", "Text Skippy", and "Text {his contact name}"?

And then 1 nickname in addition to the regular contact names as well?

I don't have the phone with me but I read it somewhere that it's as you're saying. Name + 3 nicknames.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for answering my last question!

A couple more for you though.

First, you say that region has to be set to US English. For example, I am in Canada, so I have it set to Canada. If I download Windows Phone 8.1 with Canadian region. It won't have cortana. But then what if I then change my region to us and check for updates? Will it update to a version with cortana? Or will cortana just be downloadable as an app?

And second! I'm waiting for a specific feature... But I doubt you have any info on it. There has been some demand of when you have a notification your Windows Logo with slowly pulse with light. Do you know if this is a feature coming?

Thanks again! And PS. totally jealous of your job, I'm a huge Microsoft fan, using anything else just feels wrong. I WILL be working for them one day and I can't wait. Its my dream job :)

Just changing the region to US and restarting will cause Cortana to appear. No additional download necessary. Likewise, change the region to anything else, and Cortana will disappear.

This can be done on the fly, at anytime. One must remember: Cortana is a part of the OS, no matter what. She's always there. The difference is weather or not she's available for use, which is determined by your region + language settings.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey, just wondering about the screen projecting, I'm on a L920 and can I use Miracast with WP8.1?

Joe Belfiore said that devices like the Lumia 1520 and ICON /might/ be able to support Miracast, but older hardware (Like the Lumia 520, 920, 1020 and everything in between) wouldn't be compatible.

This is a source of confussion for many, seeing as the chipset found in devices like the 920 are indeed Miracast compatible on many Android phones running on the exact same processor. So either Belfiore is mistaken, a firmware update will be required on Nokia's part to make it work, or for whatever reason: most current hardware simply isn't compatible.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I am afraid if it won't recognize my accent well enough :/

Hence the limited roll out. Voice-recognition is already difficult enough, but then coupled with language localization? Very hard work. This is one of those things that'll get better with time, and the better it gets: the more regions you'll find it available in.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Inner circle sounds like a terrible idea. What if someone you don't know needs to call you with an expected job offer (this has happened to me) or because of some emergency? I strongly advise you not to use this feature.

Btw, my understanding is that cortana is supposed to learn about you by spying, so why does it need any setup (other than disabling it altogether)?

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid if it won't recognize my accent well enough :/

I am french Canadian using the 625 and I have a speaking English accent. As of right now the voice to text for me work really good very few mistake. I suppose it will be the same when Cortana will be here.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Inner circle sounds like a terrible idea. What if someone you don't know needs to call you with an expected job offer (this has happened to me) or because of some emergency? I strongly advise you not to use this feature.

Btw, my understanding is that cortana is supposed to learn about you by spying, so why does it need any setup (other than disabling it altogether)?

That's the point of enabling certain breakthroughs. I.E: If a person calls more than twice within 3 minutes, it'll allow the call through. However, if you still don't like the idea, then simply disable Quite Hours, problem solved.

And the initial set-up is optional, but encourages because it gives Cortana some information to start working with, to help get the ball rolling.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
That's the point of enabling certain breakthroughs. I.E: If a person calls more than twice within 3 minutes, it'll allow the call through. However, if you still don't like the idea, then simply disable Quite Hours, problem solved.

And the initial set-up is optional, but encourages because it gives Cortana some information to start working with, to help get the ball rolling.

I will start work on an Android app to always call people twice.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
If you have quiet time set from 10:00pm to 6:00am, I would not expect a job offer at 3:00am...just adjust what is quiet time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99