The Cortana Setup Guide

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Check "Inner Circle", and the contact card for your dad. It's stored as a nickname, i believe

Cortana skipped the initial interests set up, but she showed it later on. Sadly, i was outside the cell tower range, so she said she'd ask again later. But she hasn't...

Yes, you can see the nicknames assigned in the Inner Circle. If they are not in your inner circle, they will be in their contact details.

Not entirely sure, but I do know that when the reminder pops up, you have the options of "Complete" or "Next Time." If you select "Next Time," Cortana will remind you the next time you arrive at that location. Therefore, you should just always be able to select "Next Time," and then the reminder will always display when you arrive at your select location.

Right now, you can't set it up every time, however, it is something we are looking into.

You can set reminders for when you do the following:

Arrive at a location
Leave a location

Give it a go!

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello Talderon is there anyway to have Cortana play a Playlist?

Thank you
MTWIZARD

Not in the list of commands, unfortunately. Already tried getting playlists to work. She's willing to play select songs, select artists and even select albums, but not select playlists. I don't think she's capable of select genres either.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Cortana is nice, but still leaves something to be desired. She already matches Siri and Google Now, but still needs to go further.

Just today, it was a very nice temperature outside, so u decided to open some windows, especially since my parents loathe the idea of air conditioning even in the hottest summer.

But it also threatened to reason, as evidenced by Cortana's forecast and, frankly, the sky. Well open Windows won't suffice in rain, because once the wind picks up: It blows inside the house.

I found this to be a great time to try Cortana's wit and capabilities. So I uttered the following command, "If it rains, reminds me to close the window."

Alas, while she understood the words perfectly, she merely gave me a big search. I phrased it multiple ways, but no cigar.

She can easily understand the query, and she has weather data at her disposal. It's be nice if she could put two and two together, so I don't have to worry about a mess blowing in.

This also applies for the summer.i work as a life guard, and we need to take chemical readings every hour. Needless to say, it can sometimes slip your mind. So how cool would it be to command, "Remind me to take the readings every hour until I leave work."

I tried it many different ways (substituting "home" for "work"), but Cortana just can't do advanced functions like that just yet.

Cortana is awesome, and really well done for a beta. But she has a long way to go before she can truly replicate what a real assistant can do.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Not in the list of commands, unfortunately. Already tried getting playlists to work. She's willing to play select songs, select artists and even select albums, but not select playlists. I don't think she's capable of select genres either.

This is true, but it is in the works. :)

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Does Cortana track Fedex/UPS packages? Could parse emails for tracking IDs on orders and give updates... just an idea. Would be cool to wake and have a "Your package is being delivered this morning".

Clint Finch

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
She's been playing playlists for me since Monday. I tell her to play <playlist name> and she queues it right up and begins playing it. Works like a charm.

anon(8415414)

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello Talderon is there anyway to have Cortana play a Playlist?

Thank you
MTWIZARD

I managed to play the playlist by simply saying "Play [the name of the playlist]".

Cortana never showed me the initial setup. It also doesn't activate the geo-triggered reminders. I tried it several times. Any ideas what to do?

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Great reading! Thanks for this! One question, when they will update Cortana, will it be on the backend or we will have to wait for a firmware update?

Brad Miller2

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Cortana will show my name on the screen when interacting with me but not actually say it out loud, even though she said it out loud and had me approve the way she said it during initial setup....... is this a known issue? she works perfectly for me otherwise.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Does Cortana track Fedex/UPS packages? Could parse emails for tracking IDs on orders and give updates... just an idea. Would be cool to wake and have a "Your package is being delivered this morning".

That'd be awesome. Would really love to see this, along with reminders that repeat every few hours for a given duration, and reminders that only activate under certain preset conditions (such as a change in weather).

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I managed to play the playlist by simply saying "Play [the name of the playlist]".

Cortana never showed me the initial setup. It also doesn't activate the geo-triggered reminders. I tried it several times. Any ideas what to do?

Make sure Cortana is allowed to run in the background, and make sure location services are enabled.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Great reading! Thanks for this! One question, when they will update Cortana, will it be on the backend or we will have to wait for a firmware update?

Lots of things can be done via the backend. In fact, if it's anything like TellMe and Bing Search of yore, then backend updates should be able to add quite a lot. But of course, OS updates will be necessary from time to time.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Cortana will show my name on the screen when interacting with me but not actually say it out loud, even though she said it out loud and had me approve the way she said it during initial setup....... is this a known issue? she works perfectly for me otherwise.

Yeah, she never seems to speak the name aloud. No idea why. Doesn't really bother me, because the actual functionality is really good.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
If she will not say my name, why she first confirmed the pronunciation of it?

Baffles me to. Guess it's just a bug, an oversight, or perhaps something being saved for future use. It is a Beta after all, so I'm actually very impressed by how good it is out of the gate, way better than Apple's Siri at launch. Hell, Cortana's beta is still better than Siri is after being out for years in many ways.

So yes, some short comings here and there, but still very well done for a beta. It'll only get better with time (Well, then again, it is Microsoft... The company of one step forward, two steps back, so I'm not sure how much that statement will hold water...).

MTWIZARD7

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello all, Thanks for the replys, I can't get Cortana to Play a Playlist. For those how can please expand on how you are getting Play Playlists to work.

Thank you,
MTWIZARD

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I agree with MTWIZARD7. Cortana has no problems playing select songs, albums or artists, but I for the life of me can't get playlists to work. Typed or spoken, no matter how I phrase it, it just doesn't work. Doesn't appear in the list of commands either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers