How will Cortana be updated?

Bogi Georgiev

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello, does anyone know if Cortana will be updated through OS updates, or through the store like the new Xbox Music and Xbox Video Apps, to make it easier to update? :)

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Since Cortana is predominantly cloud based, I would assume it would update automatically on the backend. Either that or by an update in the store.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Since Cortana is predominantly cloud based, I would assume it would update automatically on the backend. Either that or by an update in the store.

You are correct. Cortana is predominately Cloud Based, however, there is an app on the device that is used to interface with the cloud services. My understanding is that most of the functionality will be updated on the back end, but the app itself will need love too. Should come through as an app update, but I am requesting confirmation on that as well.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Seeing as our current Bing Search and TellMe have received several (relatively minor-moderate) updates just from services being updated on the backend, I'd say that means Cortana should be able to grow in capabilities day-by-day, at least theoretically.

This of course doesn't mean that just updating the backend will supply tons of news features, and obviously updates to Cortana on devices itself will be required from time-to-time. But I do know that Google Now gained features such as the command, "I want to take a picture," opening the camera app over night, from a backend update, so I'll assume Cortana will be very similar.

As for Store updates: I'm skeptical. While I base this off of nothing more than my own speculation (so not scientific in any sense), it appears that Cortana is apart of the OS itself, and therefore not Store updatable. Remember: things like the messaging app or the phone app are there own separate apps, live tiles and all, but still aren't store updatable. Same thing with Music + Videos on Windows Phone 8.

Again, I can easily be proven wrong (and I hope to be, because on the fly updates kick ***), but just because Cortana has her own app listing, doesn't make her Store updatable.

Bogi Georgiev

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Seeing as our current Bing Search and TellMe have received several (relatively minor-moderate) updates just from services being updated on the backend, I'd say that means Cortana should be able to grow in capabilities day-by-day, at least theoretically.

This of course doesn't mean that just updating the backend will supply tons of news features, and obviously updates to Cortana on devices itself will be required from time-to-time. But I do know that Google Now gained features such as the command, "I want to take a picture," opening the camera app over night, from a backend update, so I'll assume Cortana will be very similar.

As for Store updates: I'm skeptical. While I base this off of nothing more than my own speculation (so not scientific in any sense), it appears that Cortana is apart of the OS itself, and therefore not Store updatable. Remember: things like the messaging app or the phone app are there own separate apps, live tiles and all, but still aren't store updatable. Same thing with Music + Videos on Windows Phone 8.

Again, I can easily be proven wrong (and I hope to be, because on the fly updates kick ***), but just because Cortana has her own app listing, doesn't make her Store updatable.
okie dokie, that makes sense, hopefully she is a store app because on the fly updates really do kick ***! Thanks for clearing it all up for me guys! :)

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I played around with the emulator, and while I can't say for certain (as the Music app exhibits the same behavior, even though we all know for certain it's a Store app), but it does appear Cortana is built into the OS.

Again, can't say for certain, but it does seem to me that's it's /not/ a Store app, and is built into the OS itself. Pity. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos