Cortana only doing bing searches

Andrew Elliott

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I FIXED IT!!! WIthout a reset!! i went into cortana disabled her.... phone restarted and then did a soft reset. When i opened her she absorbed the internet remembered my settings and now does all the good stuff. YAY to no hard resets!

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
She gives me witty responses for most things. I just am not sure how she is supposed to respond. Like if I ask "Who is my wife?", she just does a bing search. But if i say "Text my wife", she knows who my wife is and texts her. The problem is, I don't know if cortana is supposed to understand the question "Who is my wife?" or not. She does respond correctly to the "Who's your daddy?" and "Sing me a song." So I guess she is working correctly.

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I can't seem to get Cortana to interact with any 3rd party apps. I'm trying to check in on Foursquare, and I'm saying "Check in Foursquare." like they do in some of the sample videos, but that just returns a Bing search. Anyone else able to get this feature working?

TheKingsEighth

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I FIXED IT!!! WIthout a reset!! i went into cortana disabled her.... phone restarted and then did a soft reset. When i opened her she absorbed the internet remembered my settings and now does all the good stuff. YAY to no hard resets!

Tried the same thing and she still won't give any witty responses. What phone do you have?

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't seem to get Cortana to interact with any 3rd party apps. I'm trying to check in on Foursquare, and I'm saying "Check in Foursquare." like they do in some of the sample videos, but that just returns a Bing search. Anyone else able to get this feature working?

It's the other way around. Try "Foursquare Check in" instead of "Check in Foursquare".

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Did a hard reset and fixed it... curses! Oh well... I haven't hard reset my phone since i first got the phone when the lumia 920 came out so may be a good thing, lol.

PaulSmith9875

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Tried the trick of disabling Cortana, reboot, soft-reset, re-enable Cortana... no joy. It seems MS know it's a problem, so I guess it'll get fixed at some point. Can't get too fussed about losing the comedy canned answers when everything else works pretty well.

tonybessette

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
How do you know if Cortana is not working properly? I ask the time and she gives me a big search... But she knows who's your daddy. I ask, "who am I?" and I get a bing search....what's my name, again Bing search....can I assume correctly that I need a hard reset from setting?

Also when hard resetting...it tells you its going to erase everything and bring you back to default....i shouldn't check erase my SD card too, right? ...and when will it ask me if I want a fresh install vs a backup?

Anchelspain

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Ahh... this is quite a shame :/
I really do not want to hard-reset my phone, even less without restoring from a backup. That would mean having to install all the apps again, having to import all the exact music I want again, configuring each app one-by-one... I'm still going to give this issue a few more days to see if somebody can come up with a reliably working solution before I finally decide that a hard-reset is the only option :/

Anchelspain

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
How do you know if Cortana is not working properly? I ask the time and she gives me a big search... But she knows who's your daddy.
I know it's not working well when every attempt at talking to her turns into a Bing search, unless it is a very specific command ("Remind me to call X when I get home", "Text X this and that"...).

"Tell me a joke" simply texts me "a joke". Ouch...

weisscracker

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Also just wondering I had 2 keyboard language packs installed when I did the upgrade English and Spanish. Maybe it is related to that. After doing the hard reset it only loaded back English. I manually loaded Spanish back in. Cortana is still working after loading Spanish back into the phone. Did anyone here have the issue but only had English loaded?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss