HTC 8x with Cortana ?

paulove

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Well I have a 620 (presumably locked to Claro Argentina). I reflashed it with a US-AIO firmware and it is working ok and with Cortana. English US language. That's because the original firmware for Claro ARG doesn't have the US language.

How did you do that?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Diffluent

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Well I have a 620 (presumably locked to Claro Argentina). I reflashed it with a US-AIO firmware and it is working ok and with Cortana. English US language. That's because the original firmware for Claro ARG doesn't have the US language.

How did you do this? Where did you get the US-rom?

It would be nice to have a little walkthrough :)

Peter Pie

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

EXPLAIN YOURSELF!!!

Ahem, I mean could you please share your knowledge with us!? - Pretty please!

Liam Templeton

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact same problem on my HTC Windows Phone 8S which has the Telstra (Australia) rom on it. I spoke to HTC customer support... they said that it is the carrier's rom disabling you from changing the phones language to English US. Why would they disable it in the first place anyways. I am so annoyed at this problem. GRRRR! I want cortana as it is the coolest new feature on windows phone 8.1 but is only supported in the US :eck:

vlacocabios

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
A quick question for you, guys. I already have wp8.1 on my htc8x, since I am registered as a developer. However, I might get a lumia925 in the next 10 days. Will I have to register again as a developer in order to have access to 8.1 again?

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
A quick question for you, guys. I already have wp8.1 on my htc8x, since I am registered as a developer. However, I might get a lumia925 in the next 10 days. Will I have to register again as a developer in order to have access to 8.1 again?

You'll be fine. Download the app, sign in, check the box, update to 8.1 just like you did on the 8X.

Sadangelman

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a 16gb HTC 8x model C620e that has Cortana. I brought the phone recently secondhand from a local auction site. So i have no idea where the phone is from. But if it helps, after a full reset the setup guide defaults to Singapore.

All i did was upgrade to 8.1 then did a full reset of the phone & during the setup guide i used my actual location, language & keyboard which for me is New Zealand. After setting up the phone i then changed the language + keyboard to english United States & the region to United States, restarted the phone & had Cortana ready & waiting to go.

I also found that if i ever set my region setting back to New Zealand so I can purchase apps from my local store I will lose Cortana, but once I reset my region back to United States i regain Cortana & still have all the settings i had set for Cortana.

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a 16gb HTC 8x model C620e that has Cortana. I brought the phone recently secondhand from a local auction site. So i have no idea where the phone is from. But if it helps, after a full reset the setup guide defaults to Singapore.

All i did was upgrade to 8.1 then did a full reset of the phone & during the setup guide i used my actual location, language & keyboard which for me is New Zealand. After setting up the phone i then changed the language + keyboard to english United States & the region to United States, restarted the phone & had Cortana ready & waiting to go.

I also found that if i ever set my region setting back to New Zealand so I can purchase apps from my local store I will lose Cortana, but once I reset my region back to United States i regain Cortana & still have all the settings i had set for Cortana.
Did you managed to change the PHONE LANGUAGE to English US? Maybe you can post a screenshot of that pls

Sadangelman

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
My main settings & the keyboard setting is actually English United States.
wp_ss_20140605_0002.png

My keyboard setting.
wp_ss_20140605_0003.png

My speech settings
wp_ss_20140605_0006.png

Cortana settings with Cortana on
wp_ss_20140605_0007.png

Cortana live tile on home screen
wp_ss_20140605_0004.png

Cortana running
wp_ss_20140605_0005.png

Finally my phone, yes it's an HTC 8x running the lastest 8.1 update
wp_ss_20140605_0008.png

The support phone number on the about screen is the number for HTC support in Singapore & with a full reset of the phone, the setup guide defaults to Singapore. So i would guess this phone came from Singapore. So it maybe an international unlocked model?

Last edited:

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
My main settings & the keyboard setting is actually English United States.
View attachment 68304

My keyboard setting.
View attachment 68305

My speech settings
View attachment 68307

Cortana settings with Cortana on
View attachment 68308

Cortana live tile on home screen
View attachment 68309

Cortana running
View attachment 68313

Finally my phone, yes it's an HTC 8x running the lastest 8.1 update
View attachment 68312

The support phone number on the about screen is the number for HTC support in Singapore & with a full reset of the phone, the setup guide defaults to Singapore. So i would guess this phone came from Singapore. So it maybe an international unlocked model?

That's exactly what I have ben trying to do since day one of Dve preview 8.1
Still no luck here, I got stuck with my UK English for the phone language. Even when I did a hard rest I couldn't find US English among my Choices for the phone language. did you noticed that?
Thanks a lot for sharing this. I hope you are enjoying the experience.
I'll be waiting for Microsoft to release cortana for the uk I guess.

Sadangelman

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Originally i had set my phone to English New Zealand. After updating to 8.1 i simply went to Settings-Language-Add Languages & English United States was automatically available in my list of languages. Selected English United States & deleted English New Zealand then rebooted my phone. Then as long as my keyboard, region & speech settings are also set to English United States Cortana is good to go for me.

Captains

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Selected English United States & deleted English New Zealand then rebooted my phone. .

I think that is the problem for most of us, In that we can't delete the default. In my case English Australia.:cry:

Basidh Mohammed

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey every1, Just download the United States(English) and enabled in the Settings--> Languages->Add languagges and downloaded the language..
After downloading just, change another Setting-->Keyboard-->United states..

After doing this with in few seconds i got Cortana update for my HTC-8X.. I am from india.. Do this and u r done with the update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion