HTC 8x with Cortana ?

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
No Cortana on HTC 8S, but you could only enable it anyway if you set your phone language to English (US). I don't know about your phone, but mine only came with English (UK), so it's not going to work. (I'm with a European carrier.)

BTW: the HTC app with the giant clock on my phone doesn't work if you enable background images. Does 8X behave like that as well?

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, HTC has been having problems with the Windows Phone platform, support-wise, for years. Hopefully it will change in the near future, but no Cortana for the time being, it seems.

What about the HTC app? Did you manage to get it to work with a Start screen background?

anon(8762957)

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
This should get stickied.

HTC ships the 8x in europe without English US language in the ROM. Basically all english languages are available as phone language, except for US. (Australia, singapore and UK work fine here). I don't think there is a particulair reason for it, but I think we don't have to expect HTC is going to change this (soon, if ever).
Looks like we're stuck without cortana for (ever)(now).

All the US 8x models are branded and thus carry a different ROM.

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Oh God... This is just another reason for me to hate on HTC.
I cannot get Cortana no matter what on Earth I'm doing.
Perhaps people with more knowledge can enlighten us?

sgraphics

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm, no Cortana on 8X that was bought in Europe. All region and language options switched to US. UK still stays in Languages menu (in second place) - cannot be deleted. After restart no Cortana under apps and it cannot be turned on in settings. After 'hard reset' no option available for English (United States).

Chris Yarrow

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm, no Cortana on 8X that was bought in Europe. All region and language options switched to US. UK still stays in Languages menu (in second place) - cannot be deleted. After restart no Cortana under apps and it cannot be turned on in settings. After 'hard reset' no option available for English (United States).

This seems to confirm the info about the HTC 8X Europe ROM not being able to set English (US) as the phone language.

Grrrr.....

Screenshot from my 8X,
View attachment 62396

Already had a little chat with HTC, they suggested to get in touch with Microsoft.

SharkLaserz, how did you get your phone to this point? I can't replicate that!

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
To clear the fog...
Because hTC is ran by incompetents:
They "forgot" to add English (United States) in the ROM.
Just have a hard-reset and see it yourself. There are all other languages (polski, deutsch, espanol all ******* English) but US English.
Way to go HTC.:angry:

anon(8762957)

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have Cortana on my HTC 8x. So far working great. Just use English and set your region to USA.

I have an HTC 8X on Verizon, Cortana works very well

as I said, a US branded ROM (of course) do support US language settings. Howeverm the WWE Unbranded rom does not (since it never shipped unbranded in the US).

If please include if your HTC is branded if you choose to reply. :) thanks.

Here:
HTC 8x 16gb Unbranded, unlocked. Bought in the Netherlands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster