HTC 8x with Cortana ?

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I think that's the reason why we can't get Cortana is because we can't change the phone language to United States. I can get the rest changed over but not that one.

Andrew Turley

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
ah man, this is a big disappointment! I love the form factor of my 8X but the sooner the 930 lands, the sooner i'm ditching this HTC. same deal as most, non-US 8X, can't delete local language and therefore no cortana for me...

charleswlee

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked 8x from Rogers, Canada, no dice with Cortana. Wonder if Rogers has something in the ROM that prevents it even tho I've set everything to US English.
I have a Bell 8X and the same problem. I've changed my language and region settings back and forth in numerous combinations and no dice. I normally keep my region as U.S.A. to get full Bing usability but nothing I've tried makes Cortana appear. Dang! Love the action center, though.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Same here, Cortana is nowhere to be seen. A search for Cortana only brings web results, local has nothing.
Can't switch the phone language even if region, speech and keyboard are all to English US.
HTC 8x, Rogers, unlocked, now on Telus.
Weird thing though: some app titles in Battery Saver are in french, even though they list in English in the app list...
Phone may be due for a reset...rrrrrrrr

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
There is no way to change the lang to US for all Europe customers of HTC 8X/8S (Maybe not only Europe) ... and there is no way to remove your default language (on install time) so even if you change the language to US part of our phones are still in the default (on install time) language ... so no Cortana for us! Hey Microsoft if you hear me .. where is your f.cking beta testers? You cannot ignore half of the world!

Laurentiu Paun

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
There is no way to change the lang to US for all Europe customers of HTC 8X/8S (Maybe not only Europe) ... and there is no way to remove your default language (on install time) so even if you change the language to US part of our phones are still in the default (on install time) language ... so no Cortana for us! Hey Microsoft if you hear me .. where is your f.cking beta testers? You cannot ignore half of the world!
Half of the world?
how about 9/10ths of the world :(
I still have faith that someone will deliver the phone language files and a possibility to add them...

shehroze malik

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
No cortana here either.. any way we can flash the rom with the US version.( I know its risky :D )
HTC did a great job forgetting about the US english in unlocked version.

FrodoBaggins

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Unbranded 8X here with Cortana, purchased from a parallel importer though. Not sure whats different but I feel bad now lol. I'm not in the US

Laurentiu Paun

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
just had a chat with hTC Assistance... she basically told me "tough luck:, bring it up with Microsoft... how the hell is this Microsoft's fault that they "forget" to add the English (United States) phone language to all hTC 8x and 8s phones that are not shipped inside the US?
There has to be a way to get an unbranded rom and an US Rom and copy the language data from the US to the unbranded and to be able to flash that one :(
I'm having a tough time hanging in there, all the features work flawlessly, except Cortana :(

anon(8762957)

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have given up.
No way to install it. Tried all the english languages that are available.
Seems like you really do have to set your phone language to english US. Hope MS release it soon voor Canada or UK...

Also, US spanish doesn't work either (kinda duh, but worth a shot).

FrodoBaggins

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,
I've taken some screenshots here, try copying the settings i've got on my 8X, might make magic happen
Language Setting page
gcb3RnP.jpg

Keyboards page
08xfZQt.jpg

Region Page
uzQ9C09.jpg

Proof
fuzsmOS.jpg

And Profit:
yaRoH6H.jpg

FrodoBaggins

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Guys on the back of each 8X, just above the charging port, but below the speaker there is some very very small text. On the line with model, right at the end there should be an alphanumeric model ID. Mine is C625e. Wonder if the model ids and ROMs/languages are connected somehow. Only thing I can think of that would cause something like this to happen.
Some more general information here:
xda-developers - View Single Post - HTC 8X Model Numbers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium