Remind me at location not working as nicely as i would like..

microhaxo#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I setup locations in cortana for gym, work, home and i just tried a reminder. "Cortana, next time im at the gym, remind me to workout my abs" Cortana wasn't sure what gym i was referring too, instead finding the closest one even though i explicitly set Gym in locations.

Am i doing something wrong?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Was starting a new thread and I saw this one.

Location Based reminders work great for my home address, but not working for my work. I work on a huge campus and so when enter my work address, it's like the driveway and not where I'm actually sitting/working. Because of this, my location reminder never triggers.

My struggle is trying to add my GPS location as a spot in the Cortana places section. It only lets me search for valid things. In Here Maps I did make my GPS location a 'favorite' thinking I could search on that, but no dice.

I figure there is some way to do it, I'm just not finding it yet.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I setup locations in cortana for gym, work, home and i just tried a reminder. "Cortana, next time im at the gym, remind me to workout my abs" Cortana wasn't sure what gym i was referring too, instead finding the closest one even though i explicitly set Gym in locations.

Am i doing something wrong?
Go to cCortana settings and set up Places

maks327

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Tk-093,
I was in the same boat, I couldn't manually add the location I'm at, but I figured out a way without manually typing in GPS coordinates.

1. Search in Cortana "where am I" if you're near the location or for something else that'll produce a map for the area you want to mark. Note this is not a search in the "Places" part of the notebook, but in Cortana's general search.
2. Click on the map in the search results, opening a full map view.
3. Move the map to wherever you want a new place and hold your finger over that location. A black pin with the general description should show up.
4. Click on the new pin.
5. At the bottom of this page, click the Star+ symbol to add this location to Cortana's places.

boshkop

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I work on a huge campus and so when enter my work address, it's like the driveway and not where I'm actually sitting/working. Because of this, my location reminder never triggers.

Same here. The easiest way is to open Maps, and manually add the work Place - tap and hold your building on the map, then tap the Address and then the Plus icon in the bar.

boshkop

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I was unable to get the location reminders to work AT ALL.
I even tried to walk around the place to trigger the location reminder, but no success.
If I open the Maps app I can see the Place and my location, but still no reminder shows up.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Christian Paulin

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately I was unable to get the location reminders to work AT ALL.
I even tried to walk around the place to trigger the location reminder, but no success.
If I open the Maps app I can see the Place and my location, but still no reminder shows up.

Is there something I'm missing here?

I have the same problem. Where do you live? I suspect that it doesnt work for me cause I live in Sweden. Region is set to US though!

longlifexs

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Location specific reminders don't work for me at all as well - living in the Czech Republic. My location in the map is right on top of the favorite place marker, nothing happens.

Maximus1138

May 7, 2013
Visit site
My first post...lol.

On topic, though.
I live in Sweden and my first attempt today with location reminders didn't work. Cortana did recognize my home address correctly, but when I got there nothing happened.

Allan Kaliel

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Canada, and it worked really good the first time I tried it. Set a reminder for when I got home. I parked my car, walked in the door, took off my coat, and bam, got the reminder. So I set another one to remind me to grab my headphones when I left for work in the morning. I left the house and drove about 5 miles before the reminder popped up. I was already half way to work.

Christian Paulin

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm in Canada, and it worked really good the first time I tried it. Set a reminder for when I got home. I parked my car, walked in the door, took off my coat, and bam, got the reminder. So I set another one to remind me to grab my headphones when I left for work in the morning. I left the house and drove about 5 miles before the reminder popped up. I was already half way to work.

Hehe, yeah! But still you got a reminder. Mine just sits there even if Im clearly at the "home" location :/

Tiemen_S

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Mine aren't triggering either? I'm from the Netherlands. Why would they only make these work for US locations (at least it seems like it). It makes no sense as you can even put in lat/longitude coordinates there..

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Mine aren't triggering either? I'm from the Netherlands. Why would they only make these work for US locations (at least it seems like it). It makes no sense as you can even put in lat/longitude coordinates there..
Well, because Cortana is US only at this point in time.
That said, it's been working for me. I told Cortana to remind me about something when I pick up my son from preschool and it gave me a list of nearby f?rskolor (Swedish word for preschools), the first one in the list was the one I needed. Problem though, as Cortana then went on to say couldn't set the reminder as she couldn't find the location (that she just gave me) on the map, I then added the place manually (make sure you enter the full address, including country) and tried again, this time it worked fine.

Christian Paulin

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, because Cortana is US only at this point in time.

That said, it's been working for me. I told Cortana to remind me about something when I pick up my son from preschool and it gave me a list of nearby f?rskolor (Swedish word for preschools), the first one in the list was the one I needed. Problem though, as Cortana then went on to say couldn't set the reminder as she couldn't find the location (that she just gave me) on the map, I then added the place manually (make sure you enter the full address, including country) and tried again, this time it worked fine.

Have you tried your home or work address? None of those work for me in Sweden. Location services are on and I am clearly at my work right now, both physicly and digitally according to my phone's map but the remider I set this morning is not going off.

nidO#WN

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
A potentially obvious point for those people not getting location reminders working, but some of you are saying you've set reminders for your location and are then not getting anything, have you actually left your current location then come back?
It's not a reminder for when you're at a location as such but is a reminder the NEXT TIME you're at the location, if you're at "home" and set a reminder to tell you something when you get "home" you won't get an instant reminder (because that would be pointless), it will tell you the next time you go to "home" having not been there.

FWIW, I'm in the UK and location-based reminders are working perfectly for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb