Flight tracking?

groovejumper

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
So I went to Build a couple of weeks ago, and when Joe Belfiore demo'd Cortana, he showed this cool feature where she added flight info and automatically tracked the flight.

I can't remember how he did it, and I have a flight next week...

Any ideas?

PS: 920 upgrade went without a hitch new keyboard works great...

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I see the setting in the Cortana settings (Detect tracking info, such as flights...) but as to how to get it to set reminders and stuff? Not sure. I wonder if you book another flight it will add that automatically? Or you could try forwarding the email to yourself and see if that does the trick.

groovejumper

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yup already forwarded the email to myself, didn't really seem to do anything. I'd book another flight but don't need to go anywhere else for a few weeks yet... ✈😃

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Yup already forwarded the email to myself, didn't really seem to do anything. I'd book another flight but don't need to go anywhere else for a few weeks yet... ✈

Tried forwarding an itinerary to myself and no dice, either. I'll be curious to know how this works.

groovejumper

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
So I just went to ask Cortana something unrelated and she asked if I wanted to track my flights. I guess I was just being impatient before...

She mentioned she found my flight itinerary in my email.

groovejumper

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
So, being a developer, I figured I had to try to figure some of this out. Found some details here, describing how they parse emails for schema.org Microdata - looks like a proposed standard for serializing flight details into an HTML5 document.

So I pulled up my flight confirmation email and took a look through the message source, and sure enough the airline (Air Canada) included the appropriate markup. I'm not sure if Cortana has some sort of fallback parsing mechanism if she doesn't find the markup she's looking for. If not, I guess it's up to the airlines for what they implement.

g.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
So I just went to ask Cortana something unrelated and she asked if I wanted to track my flights. I guess I was just being impatient before...

She mentioned she found my flight itinerary in my email.

Same thing happened to me. It was an itinerary for U.S. Airways and buried in a folder, not in my actual inbox. Impressive.

arrow22

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Cortana failed to find my flight info, so I went to the airline's website (Air Canada) to re-send new confirmation emails - no progress. A day later, I forwarded the same email to myself but changed the subject line to "Flight itinerary" and she finally found and added all 4 flights.

Of course, it could always be a delay in getting the phone to parse through emails, but I thought I would share in case it helps someone out. It's a shame we can't add flight info manually in case it fails. Asking Cortana to track a flight just gets her to pull the information regarding today's flight - not very helpful.

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I sent forward my itinerary four times, and she didn't get it that day. But today she suddenly realized that I have a flight. Maybe she has a LOOONG refreshing period for checking email and text contents.

Georgi Ivanov3

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
She answers at least to the question @When is my flight@, but she couldnt track any of the flights I have in my mailbox. I changed the subject to Flight itinerary but still she doesnt track anything.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey all... About this issue.

This is a known issue. The trouble is, every airline or partner that sells airline tickets formats their emails differently. Some put the information in text, others put it in tables, some use images for airlines and some don't.

I, personally, have run into issues where I had a multi-leg flight email come in and Cortana only saw the second leg.

If you tell Cortana "Track United Airlines flight 593", she will bring up the flight details and you can add it to your notebook. The holdup here is that it will only track it for today. We are working hard to get this implemented better and allow tracking for future dates. This is all back-end stuff so we hope to keep improving it.

Thanks for this thread and I'll try and check back in when I have more news. :D

Georgi Ivanov3

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Is it possible than to show a basic flight ticket confirmation email, that Cortana recognizes FOR SURE? You can add up ur data and see if she would recognize the flight. I know it is maybe pointless for some, but it is nice to see how it works ;)

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible than to show a basic flight ticket confirmation email, that Cortana recognizes FOR SURE? You can add up ur data and see if she would recognize the flight. I know it is maybe pointless for some, but it is nice to see how it works ;)

I'll run a few tests today and see what I can get Cortana to do. :)

maks327

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
For the record, I booked a flight with Southwest Airlines yesterday, and Cortana asked within a couple hours if I wanted her to track the flights (both there and back).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750