"I'm not turning up any suggestions. Try back later."

Tom Meismer

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
When I first set up Cortana everything worked fine. I selected my interests and the next time I viewed Cortana it showed news relevant to my interests that I had selected. Cortana sets reminders and calendar appointments but now when I go to view news or things of that nature it says "I'm not turning up any suggestions. Try back later.". I've tried rebooting the phone twice, pulling the battery once, trying it on and off of Wi-Fi and nothing helps. Has anyone else encountered this problem and hopefully fixed it?

Tom Meismer

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I've tried two soft resets with no luck. A little more description on the problem: When I open the Cortana live tile it says "Getting things ready." Then nothing shows up and it reads, "I'm not turning up any suggestions. Try back later." Then below it says "interests" "tap to view". When I tap, it goes to the interest section of the notebook and says "I can't seem to connect right now. Try again in a little bit". When I try to add a new interest section to the interests it sows a new screen and again says "I can't seem to connect right now. Try again in a little bit".

I've included pictures of the results I'm getting.

When I press the live tile here are the results in order:
wp_ss_20140416_0002.jpg
wp_ss_20140416_0001.jpg
wp_ss_20140416_0006.jpg
wp_ss_20140416_0005.jpg

Then when I access Cortana from the search button, you can see there's no glance at the bottom:
wp_ss_20140416_0007.jpg

LyokoNinja

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Same thing's happening with me. No luck getting Cortana to show me what I have listed as interests. Got it working once and that was it.

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
i didn't get the interview at the first start, but i did get "general news" and then i added to her notebook that i'm interested in Britney Spears, and she show me related stuff about her now.

Anybody knows how to have the initial "interview" now? i would like to recieve other topics from cortana without having to manually tell her.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
This is happening to me as well; I skipped the initial setup then went back to it later. It showed me my interests a couple of times and then stopped working. I'm in the UK so I presumed it was down to the location.

rendell ray

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I got the same problem. It work great the first couple days then it stopped showing me my interests and I get the same message "I can't seem to connect right now. Try again in a little bit." I'm also in the US. I tried soft resets and it didn't work. Has any of you tried doing hard resets and getting it to work again?

LyokoNinja

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I have an update, but it only makes things seem weirder. My Cortana live tile updates multiple times a day, but it never shows in the app itself. I just get the cannot connect error as "usual." So it is updating, just not displaying it.

Edit: Update as in news, not an OS update.

Last edited:

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Yep, my live tile works as well; shows the news but it doesn't work when I open the app. It's good to know it's not just happening outside the US, I'm also fairly relaxed as it's in beta still.

stbottom

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
This can happen if you have Internet Explorer set to block all cookies. Under Settings->applications->Internet Explorer->advanced settings->Cookies from websites, it should be set to "block some" or "accept all."

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
i kept thinking it was my data plan...

i get a few "can't connect blah blah" when i write or say and order. i'm not sure, but i remember it didn't show me the search results for "phone" section neither. which is stupid.

LyokoNinja

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
This can happen if you have Internet Explorer set to block all cookies. Under Settings->applications->Internet Explorer->advanced settings->Cookies from websites, it should be set to "block some" or "accept all."

This fixed it! Thanks so much. I wish we got per-site cookie settings in WP8 IE like Firefox does, though.

Tom Meismer

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
This did fix it! Maybe something Microsoft should tell people about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea