News from unreliable sources. Let us manage sources in Cortana, please!

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to filter out sources or add additional sources to Cortana? I only see the option to add "interests". If not, I think that would be a nice option to add in the future.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Managing News Sources used by Cortana

Not being able to curate sources really diminishes the usefulness of the News portion of Cortana, Daily Glance, and the Live Tile.

Georgi Ivanov3

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Managing News Sources used by Cortana

Agree!! If Cortana was customized enought, they would let us manage news sources along with weather forecast provider..

Seranova

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I was quite irked when I saw articles from Faux 'News' and Crap News Network on my Cortana feed...wish I could change the sources.

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
This seems to have gotten worse actually. I have the Band and as my Cortana alerts come in, 95% of them are from 1 news source - Fox News.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Cortana normally reads from your MSN News (and weather) preferences, so if you remove a news source from there or swap the Celsius/Fahrenheit it should reflect in Cortana.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Really bad since Fox News isn't even a News Network. They are registered with the FCC as an Entertainment Network. That's how they can get away with all the BS they be broadcasting.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Really bad since Fox News isn't even a News Network. They are registered with the FCC as an Entertainment Network. That's how they can get away with all the BS they be broadcasting.

Fox has the most viewers in the US, MSNBC and CNN don't even come close. Cortana is simply gathering from the most popular source, it's not hard to figure out.

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Cortana normally reads from your MSN News (and weather) preferences, so if you remove a news source from there or swap the Celsius/Fahrenheit it should reflect in Cortana.

I have done both those things long ago. Neither of them have had the desired effects, unfortunately.

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Fox has the most viewers in the US, MSNBC and CNN don't even come close. Cortana is simply gathering from the most popular source, it's not hard to figure out.

Cortana is supposed to learn your personal preferences. I should be able to disable sources that do not fit my preferences. (as should other users)

MS does have a deal with Fox News where Fox News uses MS tech in their show rooms. Perhaps this is one of the ways Microsoft is paying them back.

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
​Just shows how stupid most people are. Fox News is NOT a news network. Would love to have it off my phone.
While I agree with the second part, I'd rather not resort to ad hominems.

Honestly, whether you like Fox News or not, we can all band together to say that we should have the ability to choose what sources we prefer and what sources we would like to disable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos