Cortana places and Bing places. Should they be synchronized?

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I was messing around on Bing and noticed none of the Places I have set up in Cortana show up in Bing as My Places. Is this normal, or did I do something wrong? Is this why I can't get geofencing to work properly? I have Location turned on and my Icon says it is tracking geofencing under the location settings.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
When you say messing around with Bing, do you mean Bing Maps? Because if you do, then yes, the places should be the same in maps and in cortana. They both use "My Places"

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes Bing Maps. In Cortana I have added several 'places' under favorites but did not add them in Bing Maps because I assumed Cortana would do this?

In Cortana/My Places/Recent it shows all of my activity so I know my phone is tracking my location.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure. I only added my home and work to cortana, and when I opened Maps they were there under Favorite Places. Maybe try removing them from Cortana and re-adding?

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion.

I deleted everything, rebooted the phone, then added work and home into Cortana/My Places/Favorites, and rebooted again for good measure. It's been about 45 minutes and Bing Maps still shows nothing under My Places.

I know there is another thread with questions about how to 'reset' Cortana that is pending an answer. I'll see what comes out of that and if nothing, maybe I'll just do a hard reset when I get home tonight.

B Hammer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Resolved this issue?

Did you ever resolve this issue? I started using Bing maps recently and noticed none of my favorite places in Cortana are showing up in Bing and vice versa.

Thanks

B Hammer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but this isn't addressing my issue. (btw, the option was already checked)

I have searched online in different forums and others like me have not resolved this. #frustrated

OberstDanjeje

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know the Cortana place are sincronized only with Windows 8 Maps and Maps preview and not with Bing Maps on web page, at least this is how it work for me but I'm in Italy so don't know if it is a US only feature (on Bing page in US there are some setting related to Cortana, those settigs are missing on the Bing IT settings page and I think is the same where Cortana is just in Alpha)
Some one could confirm this?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism