Cortana News (Coming from the inside) (OP being updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MARKjotep

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
thanks talderon!. 😊😉
hopefully there will be an option for bing search results to be Optional. sometimes cortana will just search the web instead of answering.. She should be comanded be "search for" ..

wishful thinker here.. I know its one of her ability but I want her own answer. haha. 😉

boshkop

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Talderon. Microsoft needs more people like you. Transparency is a huge plus.
Big thanks for the teams "behind the curtains" too!

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Does Cortana (or Bing for that matter) integrate with other services such as Wolfram Alpha? I know Siri uses Bing and Wolfram Alpha to get data, and it could be very interesting for Cortana to similarly pull from more sources (ideally, it would be Bing being able to pull from more sources as Cortana would naturally incorporate the results)

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
This page need to be sticky too. I like to know whats being added and fix on the backend. How else well we know things are being added or fix, it wont be in the action center, lol

Solar Mike

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Here Drive is NOT a Microsoft application. It is a Nokia app and even through we are taking over phone/devices from Nokia, the Here apps are not coming with it. As for the built in maps, there is a lot of integrations there already, but there will be a lot more in the future (they will come in the form of Map app update, Cortana back end and maybe even an app update to Cortana).

What I think would be really useful would be the ability to command Cortana to navigate to an Outlook Contact's work or home address.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
What I think would be really useful would be the ability to command Cortana to navigate to an Outlook Contact's work or home address.

Hmmm...you're right...but I have to believe that is coming as "phone" is one of the parsing options when you use Cortana to search. Just must not be set up yet.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Any word on if Cortana will support setting your preferred method of transportation (walking, cycling, transit, driving)? The "Time to Leave" alerts for calendar events only work for driving times, but asking Cortana how long it will take to get somewhere by transit gives accurate results.

Time to Leave alerts appear to only trigger for your set "home" and "work" locations. Any other saved locations don't trigger this reminder.

Also, some searches can be "pinned" to Cortana, like searching for the "Weather in New York" gives you the option to "show weather updates for this city". When you do this, that item remains in Cortana. Is it intended in the future to have the same option for other queries like the results for "How long will it take to walk home from here", and having the pinned item stay in Cortanas list, updating each time you open it with your current location.

I Unquello

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey Talderon! First off, thanks for this thread!

Is it currently/will it be possible to do location based commands? I usually call/text my wife on the way home from work. I'd love it if Cortana would initiate (with my permission) a text/call with my wife when I leave work. Here's how I envision it working:

I've got Cortana set up with my work/home etc. and she knows who my wife is. I've told her: Please call my wife when I leave work after 5pm (in case I need to go somewhere during the day and don't need to call at that time, but I almost always call or text my wife on the way home from work; this would be even better if I could set this to repeat Monday-Friday). With that all done, I leave work and get to my car. Once there, Cortana pops up and says, "I see you've left work, would you like me to call your wife?"

That right there, would be absolutely tremendous. I don't know if that is currently possible, or if it's something you are working on, but I would love to see this implemented in the near future.

Quick additional question: How long does it take Cortana to learn places? I was too impatient and set them manually.

My sincere thanks!

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey Talderon! First off, thanks for this thread!

Is it currently/will it be possible to do location based commands? I usually call/text my wife on the way home from work. I'd love it if Cortana would initiate (with my permission) a text/call with my wife when I leave work. Here's how I envision it working:

I've got Cortana set up with my work/home etc. and she knows who my wife is. I've told her: Please call my wife when I leave work after 5pm (in case I need to go somewhere during the day and don't need to call at that time, but I almost always call or text my wife on the way home from work; this would be even better if I could set this to repeat Monday-Friday). With that all done, I leave work and get to my car. Once there, Cortana pops up and says, "I see you've left work, would you like me to call your wife?"

That right there, would be absolutely tremendous. I don't know if that is currently possible, or if it's something you are working on, but I would love to see this implemented in the near future.

Quick additional question: How long does it take Cortana to learn places? I was too impatient and set them manually.

My sincere thanks!

Taderon created another thread that might fit wha you're asking better than this one. I can send the link since I'm using an app but search for it. It's called Cortana Natural Language... Create a scenario where she fails to understand what you intend for it to do. It will be submitted to developers.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Love the idea of this thread, though I can't imagine anyone could provide updates as frequently as this crew would like ;)
I do wonder if there are plans to have Cortana speak more, even for web searches/results (e.g. If I ask for a currency conversion, or a math problem, don't just *show*the result, actually *speak* it).

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Sir, is it safe for you to mention these progress from Microsoft? Or we'll just hope that these things are coming out soon? Thanks..

The information that I am giving here is what I am allowed to post. I have some specific dates, but until ship dates are released to partners and so forth, I have to hold off on those. However, things are coming quickly and soon. We have regular deployments going on all the time so things may turn on in the back end without a lot of flare, but I will get that to you all as soon as I am able. :D

Best effort is all I can do at this time. I hope I will be allowed to post dates soon. :D

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this thread Talderon :) I was actually also going to ask if Cortana could use Here maps, but Guytronic covered my question.. I just find that Here maps are far more accurate when trying to locate me, but if you say there will be updates to make the integrated maps (Cortana) better; I shall patiently await them.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo