Cortana: Location Based Reminders

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
How is everyone liking the location based reminders? Are they going off in the right places? Any bugs? Please share your experiences below.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Some one please help me. Cortana is able to register my reminders in her notebook but she isn't reminding me about those reminders....i tried many times but still ahe ain't reminding me. What should I do ??

These reminders are fo not involve geofencing

Georgi Ivanov3

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
It doesnt work at all for me. Maybe because I live outside of US or something else, but I would expect it to use only the maps and my location..
- downloaded maps for Netherlands (I live here)
- added my home, grocery store etc (She recognized all of them) to Places, but out of 6 times I have used the reminder (Cortana understood every reminder - What and Where), she never reminded me when I got to the place, where I should have been reminded in.
I would expect the assistant to remind me when I get to the place or, for example @Remind me to buy Vitamine C when I pass through/I am close to a farmacy@, SO before I get there or at least when I am near a pharmacy, Cortana to notify me. I guess she can use my location and calculate my speed and estimate that with the current speed and direction, after 2 mins I would get close enough to a pharmacy, so she can tell me..
I am not a programmer or developer, so I am not aware if this is possible at present time, but as 99% of mass consumers that would be one of the basic operations I would expect of a personal assistant to do for me.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I've only done one, just a test for when I got home. It didn't work the first day but yesterday it did, but I had Cortana open at the time, so that's not full credit. I'm going to play around with them more this weekend.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Give it time to mature. Android's location based reminders didn't work reliably out of the gate, but they do now. I'm guessing the same will apply with WP's. The fact that Cortana understands and creates the reminders means that the concept is working.

To those who say it doesn't work; does the reminder seem to be delayed? That was the problem I had with Android's at first. If you go to the store, for example, you might not be there long enough. But if you set a reminder for home or work, does the reminder appear after 10 minutes or an hour? Now, Android's are instant. It can even appear while driving past the target.

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
My location reminders worked everytime. Keep in mind that the geofencing capabilities requires you to linger at the place for a short time. If I remember correctly from the BUILD session, it was like 1 or 5 min (or something like that.) In fact, me sitting at a somewhat long red light that was in front of one of my locations triggered it. Another cause of it not working could be the performance of the phone's GPS and/or the interference in more urban locations.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Works perfectly for me. Perhaps it's a US thing, since it's suppose to be U.S only for now anyway.

I've added different places (other than home and work) to the notebook and I've gotten every single reminder I've set for the locations so far, will be showing off to friends >=D

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I had one work, while I was leaving Walmart, but I remembered anyway. It didn't remind me when I drove past the autozone, however, but I did remember that myself. I chalked the Walmart reminder up to having poor service, but autozone was fine.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Some one please help me. Cortana is able to register my reminders in her notebook but she isn't reminding me about those reminders....i tried many times but still ahe ain't reminding me. What should I do ??

These reminders are fo not involve geofencing

You should always enable cortana on by allowing it in the background also enable location service on you will get remainders but your battery life will be at stake.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Koko GIno

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I've used it quite a few times. I have my work and my home programmed in as "My Places" and those work really well. I've only done reminders for when I arrive there and they go off within a couple of minutes of being inside. I went for a walk last night and on my way home about a half block from home one went off. I did a reminder to pick up a couple of things for when I arrived at the store and that one took about 10 minutes to go off. I don't know if it took longer because it's not programmed as one of My Places or something else. I haven't tried doing one for when I get near a place though.

vipin_thegame

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Works perfectly.
When setting it up, make sure you let Cortana know the exact location where the reminder has to be triggered.
Eg. If i tell Cortana "Remind me to buy milk when I get to Safeway", she(it) will automatically pull the nearest Safeway store and confirm if that is the location I wanted her(it) to remember.
Other nearby Safeway stores are also displayed in case i wanted to choose a different one

This is however not needed for places already saved in the notebook using nicknames liked home, work, etc

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
It's getting better.

Yesterday I tried one for the grocery store. I came into the parking lot from a different direction than normal so the reminder didn't go off until I left the parking lot via the main road.

Today I tried one for the drugstore, and it went off while I was in the store.

Another set for "when I get home" worked as I got out of my car.

These were all mainly tests and I'm finally looking forward to trusting Cortana with some true reminders :)

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
It works perfectly outside of US also. I am in South East Asia and its works at every location.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
This is still not working for me. I selected my nearest Walmart... it didn't remind me for anything. It worked for my Home though but only like 20 minutes after I arrived at home. :( I hope this gets better and reminds me 'as soon as I arrive'

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12