Does Cortana remind you to leave for a calendar event like Google Now?

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Google Now supports "Time To Leave" alerts, where a calendar event will have a location (address) tied to it, and will tell you if you have to leave by a certain time to make it, like this:

SNP_4D4FC69B118D5E559CD4203722D07E3A2286_4544193_en_v0.png

Cortana doesn't appear to support this. If you add a Calendar event with her using a location from "Places", she just adds it to the calendar, and will only trigger a reminder at the set interval, usually just "15 minutes" before, with no location supported data to tell you you wont make it in time. She also doesn't seem to support the ability to set a preferred method of travel (walk, bike, transit, car).

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
i'm pretty sure she does, that's tied into the my commute feature. Why don't you try it out?

I've given it a try. "Daily Glance" should show appointments for the day, and "Traffic" has an option to "Notify me when it's time to go and when there's an incident", but so far, none of these have actually worked.

It should be noted that there isn't an option to set your method of transport, whether it be driving, cycling, transit, or walking.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Your right it is working. But it only seems to work for me when I tie the event to my home or work locations. If I set it to any other saved "place", or an address, the "time to leave" alert doesn't come up, and it doesn't show up in the daily glance.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Your right it is working. But it only seems to work for me when I tie the event to my home or work locations. If I set it to any other saved "place", or an address, the "time to leave" alert doesn't come up, and it doesn't show up in the daily glance.

You're right, tested myself. I'm guessing abilities are limited because of beta? Unless it has to be triggered some other way.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I found something else interesting here. It seems Bing can't find certain addresses without the full address details (City, Postal Code). If a Calendar event has a proper full address, it'll trigger the "Time to Leave" alert. This makes for using saved "places" useless on Calendar events, as you can't specify a full address to a name, Cortana culls it to just include the street address and number. Only locations searched by name (businesses) save to "places" with a full address, and it doesn't appear those work either.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I got some weird random drive-time information from Cortana today in the car, like a drive time message to my work but what is really weird is...how did Cortana know I was on my way to work? And I also got (this morning) a drive time pop up for a doctor's appointment..that was yesterday, that was also really weird. It hasn't happened before or since, and unfortunately it happened while I was driving so I couldn't really take a long look at what was going on. Very intriguing though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos