Conditional actions such as geofencing

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey there,

This has probably been asked or answered somewhere, but I searched and didn't find it, and there is way too much new activity for me to read more than a tiny fraction of it, so I apologize if asking something already covered.

Question #1: I think geofencing has tremendous potential, and I'm sure it will continue to improve once established. I've seen discussion of wifi geofencing and reminder geofencing, and both of those are great features. Are any other actions included in WP 8.1 that are possible besides wifi and reminders? Send text, send email, etc?

Question #2: Are geofencing actions able to be set up for always do X when I arrive at or leave a given location, or just the next time I arrive at or leave a favorite location?

Question #3: Can Cortana do things based on conditions other than my location? Should this category be thought of as Geofencing, or could it be broadened to be actions taken by phone based on a wide variety of conditions?

Imagine if actions could be based on me arriving at or leaving favorite locations, and/or location of someone else in my inner circle, and/or the day of week and/or the time of day, and/or my favorite sports team winning a game, performance of a stock, the list goes on and on.

I could see something like: if I leave work on a Friday between 4PM and 10PM, and if Foxy Lady is at home, text Foxy Lady "_____________;" If Foxy Lady is 0.25-50 miles of home, then text her "_____________________." If Foxy Lady is more than 50 miles from home, then email her "______________________."

Or, when the Wisconsin Badgers win in football by more than 21 points, and when the opponent is a Big Ten team, tweet "__________________."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte