Cortana through bluetooth in car

gusnewyork

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Pls forgive my persistence...
Go ahead and do the following test: Leave your radio on, disable Bluetooth and ask Cortana to call someone. I did that numerous times with the music on and my 925 is flawless. (Are the mics of a little phone really that much better than Audi's, Mercedes's and Saab's mics?
I tried the exact same name, voice intensity etc., with Bluetooth on:
1. If Cortana is on results are extremely inconsistent.
2.If Cortana is off results are perfect even through Bluetooth.

I believe there is something "not right" going on when Bluetooth is enabled and Cortana is enabled, as well.

Last edited:

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Pls forgive my persistence...
Go ahead and do the following test: Leave your radio on, disable Bluetooth and ask Cortana to call someone. I did that numerous times with the music on and my 925 is flawless. (Are the mics of a little phone really that much better than Audi's, Mercedes's and Saab's mics?
I tried the exact same name, voice intensity etc., with Bluetooth on:
1. If Cortana is on results are extremely inconsistent.
2.If Cortana is off results are perfect even through Bluetooth.

I believe there is something "not right" going on when Bluetooth is enabled and Cortana is enabled, as well.

It could be the audio/mic BT data connection. I noticed Cortana sounds very compressed, like a bad AM station, over BT. If the microphone is passing the audio through at such a low bit rate in the same way it might be degrading the signal too much. I have a VW system (same one as Audi's) and I'm not sure if the low bitrate connection is from the phone or the car.

I had to enable the "Alternate BT Connection" on the phone for speech to work.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone with issues tried going into Settings, Bluetooth, Advanced, and tried "Use an alternate Bluetooth audio connection for Speech"?

Richard Durishin

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Meh!

Unless you are in an uber-luxo mobile with tons of noise-isolating insulation, built-in bluetooth has HORRIBLE acoustics. You may not notice so much, but the party on the other end sure does. I have stuck with the Jawbone Era and Bose II BT headsets. Transcription is pretty good - especially with the Jawbone. I leave the in-car BT for streaming music and put on my headset for texting and talking.

Where I am sometimes having problems is that, when I disconnect one BT link (say, the car) and connect another (say my Jawbone), though I could have a conversation over the headset, Cortana sometimes doesn't hear it - so I cannot search or text or set reminders - without a soft reset.

Richard Servello

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
How do you activate Cortana while connected to car bt? Is the only way by pressing search and holding?

My previous car (mini cooper 2012) sent Cortana like a phone call and required a long hold of the search button. I upgraded to a Mini Cooper 2015 and guess what...if I hold the voice button on the steering wheel it starts Cortana! Also, its no longer a phone call to the 555 number. It comes up as external voice input! Cool!

vc-10

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I drove my mum's 2014 Skoda Superb for a bit over the summer, and I had no trouble at all, with my 930. This is the standard VW Group Bluetooth system, which has been fitted to most of their cars for the last 5/6 years or so. She also works flawlessly with the radio I have in my Polo, which is a VW system as well but nowhere near as advanced.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I noticed for me, I have to pump up the volume on my phone AND car to insane volumes for a 80% chance of cortana understanding me. If i don't, I get a 50-50 chance of cortana understanding me. now this is an issue I ONLY have had on Lumias in my car (using an alpine iva-w505 with add on bluetooth module that needed the EU firmware to even work with windows phone)

On Windows Phone 7 with my HTC Titan, various android devices and even Windows 6.5 devices I had no issues. My Lumia 900, 920, 635, and 535 all have the same problem.

Kevin Leefarr

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Gutted!

Changed setting from 'always on' to 'bluetooth only' to see if it just worked in the car and it didn't.
Changed back to always on and now she doesn't read anything out even after resetting everything.

:unhappy:

anon(5408460)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that using cortana resulted in the car recording a number that it thought had been dialled, I just added that number as a contact aaaaaa so its top of the list and it now works every time I press the button

nitsuk

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Have tested Cortana in Nissan Juke and Qashqai and everything works very well despite it sometimes not hearing me very well which is the car microphone quality I guess, decided to go for a Mercedes with standard "Audio 20" system in place however rather concerned that Cortana text read/compose, calling and music playback/control doesn't work as intended therefore if anyone has any experience please advise as there is time to change my mind about the car though would like to know if anyone has tested it in theirs in a recent model and what the outcome has been?

nitsuk

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Okay found the answer to my own question now by visiting local Mercedes to test and it was mostly good, there is another new post on this forum with full information I was unable to share the link therefore in brief can confirm that all relevant Bluetooth features were tested and working fine on a Mercedes C Class Saloon AMG 2015 with Audio 20 system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720