Cortana through bluetooth in car

gusnewyork

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Even though Cortana understands and displays most everything I ask in regard to appointments, open applications, search the web, etc. it really does not translate correctly the command "call" or "text" and the correct/corresponding name in my contacts. It is even much worse, and unusable and unpredictable at this point to use it while driving through Bluetooth (but it undestands and translates correctly in car other commands like "what's the weather in New York today"). For ex. I ask "call Maria Jones" and it gives me, "text Mar O' Neal, subject: Johnnie!!!" For what is worth, I do see at the bottom of Cortana that when I say "call" or "text" it is going through multiple searches of unrelated names, instead of simply looking in my contacts for the most probable answer. (I did pair different ways and also tried checking or unchecking the check mark in Bluetooth setting on phone for possible audio problems.

I have been using a new Lumia 925 with T-Mobile. My previous phone Lumia 710 with OS 7.8 was practically flawless in translating calls/text in my car. I do understand that this is beta, but I wanted to share. I have been using and testing 8.1 in my car since it came out.

Cheers!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I am able to use Cortana while BT connected in my car, but I do have to speak more loudly and clearly than if not BT connected. One factor to consider is that the mics on the phone are probably better than those in the car (depending on which phone and which car). My car is a 2007, so it's probably one of the earlier BT connected cars, and my phone is the Icon, so it's got about the best microphones.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have found that even with the phone, distance to the mic really matters. Cortana definitely works best when it can hear you very clearly.

gusnewyork

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate the replies and suggestions. I guess, the point I am trying to make is that with the OS 7.8 and with no change in any configuration in the bluetooth in the car - mics and pairing - there were almost zero issues. I hope they work it, out so you do not have to speak loudly and very c l e a r l y for Cortana to translate correctly a name for a call or text.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Another data point to add...

When Cortana transcribes my voice to text, she's VERY accurate. I even had her transcribe "Check your DNS settings, make sure they are not set for static." She got it BANG on the first time.
When I open a text and hit the mic button and have it transcribe, it is like it was in the pre-8.1 days. Problematic.

This is using the in-car BT connection.

I don't know what it is nor how to account for it, but to ME it seems Cortana is more accurate than just the OS ability.

gusnewyork

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I would like to add that two family members, one with Lumia 820 and the other with Lumia 925 have the exact issues with calls/text translating correctly with the correct contact from outlook. All three of us have three different cars and all three of us have previous models of Lumia: 710 and 800. There were zero issues with the previous models with 7.8 OS and their corresponding Bluetooth stack. The issue remains the same in all three cars (Audi, Mercedes and Saab): Cortana understands and translates perfectly through the embedded in car mics/Bluetooth complex commands and searches, yet a "simple" command "call John Rodgers" never goes through correctly. We experimented with the exact same contact name and called 5 times and we had 5 different results. Then we paired the previous models Lumia and all 5 times were translated perfectly! Lastly, all three of us are using three different networks.
Looking forward to a healthy Cortana update.

Last edited:

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Question Gus, when you pair the phone to the car, do the contacts download to the car? I was able to call by voice ONCE in mine and then after that, it has NEVER downloaded the contacts and therefore, I can't call people via voice.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I used Cortana with my newly installed Uconnect and my Icon, briefly today. The only annoyance see is that it "dials" my Icon with each voice interaction. I used it to place a call from my inner circle and with HERE+ to navigate. Pairing was very simple.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I spent some more time with the in car Bluetooth tonight. Uconnect downloaded a few contacts, but stopped. Also, voice commands like music commands did not work for me. Not sure if the issue is Uconnect or WP 8.1

*Music works. Didn't realize you needed to change the input to Aux.

Last edited:

gusnewyork

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
This is what is going on in my car using Cortana over Bluetooth after the newest 8.1 update. Using Lumia 925 and Lumia 820, in car mics and parrot system. Tested also again in two other cars with embedded Bluetooth systems-Audi and Mercedes with embedded mics. The results were EXACTLY the same:
Test 1: If Cortana is disabled, any voice recognition in regard to "call John Smith" or "Text John Smith" is translated accurately all the time, Success in all three cars with both options in Bluetooth settings.

Test 2: When Cortana is enabled the results are extremely inconsistent when you ask to "call" or "text". The names' recognition or even the words "call" or "text" are not recognizable or are recognized as something completely different. Tested with both options in Bluetooth settings. As a side note, when internet was dropped to 2g Cortana did not recognize anything.

Test 3: Ask Cortana the same questions without being connected to Bluetooth: Perfect results!

Summary: Something is funky when Cortana is enabled and used over Bluetooth, The problem cannot be the mics in the car are some suggested, the volume intensity of the mics or the pairing, as absolutely nothing was changed from the voice recognition tests without Cortana enabled: I repeat: Pairing was the same, settings were the same, the loudness of my voice was the same and what was asked was the same [call or text] in all three cars with same phones.

Suggestion: When we ask Cortana to call or text revert automatically to the OS recognition and bypass Cortana and the internet all together.

And that is that. [Microsoft should begin rewarding those of us who spend time testing their products! I am just too nice, I guess!!LOL]

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I've experienced some oddities as well. Usually (like 80%) of the time, it works great. But, I've had a couple times where I have been trying to get Cortana to play a certain song. However, it wouldn't recognize what I am saying correctly. When saying "Play The Black Keys", it would not pick up the Play part of the message. I made sure to speak after hearing the beeping signal. Then, it would mess up on "The Black Keys" and just search up something not even close to resembling those words.

It works most of the time. But when it doesn't work, there is not really any way to get it to work correctly.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I used Cortana with my newly installed Uconnect and my Icon, briefly today. The only annoyance see is that it "dials" my Icon with each voice interaction. I used it to place a call from my inner circle and with HERE+ to navigate. Pairing was very simple.

The "dialing" aspect is kind of annoying, but that's the way Siri works as well (though it didn't work for my uconnect 430n and Cortana does). Much better than 8.0 when it just wouldn't work with the mic

As for the clarity of the voice commands, I think it's more about where the mic is located or the quality of the audio that gets passed through. Cortana works pretty flawlessly for me with a Lumia Icon

gusnewyork

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
As I stated the mics cannot be the cause, at least in my case, as it works perfectly without Cortana enabled; just using the OS for call and text commands, same mics, same pairing with perfect results.

Last edited:

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Idk I guess its my car, I press the voice button for Cortana and it takes 9 seconds for it to beep and allow me to speak in my car. Its like super lag! 2010 Mazda 3

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I've got a Lumia 925 and a 2013 Peugeot 208 Allure.

On my car i can press and hold the call button on my steering wheel and it activates Cortana for me.

On 7.5, 7.8 (Lumia 900), 8.0 and 8.1 (Lumia 925) i have had trouble with voice dictation etc. This was made worse when driving with my cars windows down or when the climate control kicks into full force when heating the car or the AC is cooling it.

The only way i am understood is if i speak loudly and clearly with windows closed at the time or the climate control adjusted to operate at minimal speed.

What you may also be failing to factor in is the background noises in a car. These will really interfere with dictation etc. When i am stationary with the engine running i am picked up perfectly fine. However when moving you have to allow for rumble in the car from the road even on the smoothest surfaces as well as the engine running at higher rpm and the chassis and body will be vibrating from that. It is probably enough that the microphone picks it up and this interferes with the voice functionality and then distorts Cortana's perception of your instructions.

Also at the same time you're supposed to be focusing on the road when driving not your phone and telling it what to do. The only way i interact while moving is to answer a call otherwise the sat nav is usually on and if i am streaming audio via bluetooth i use the steering wheel controls to change tracks etc. Driving mode handles everything else for me until i stop driving.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs